• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony NW-A105 Digital Audio Player Review

KubeK

Oh sorry for not giving you in depth review of every DAP ever created on planet earth. Please forgive me.

You must be really new.
I am very thankfull for help, I didn't except so welcoming people here, but I guess it would be more "utilitarian" to everybody to just write post in case you really have some knowledge to share.

Anyway I found that your statement was not true, and actually somebody who posted that topic already proved that. I guess for rest of the questions I'll find somebody/somewhere else, thanks again :)

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Time to post this reminder: let's be nicer to newcomers. If he doesn't know something, educate him. Don't mock him.
A reminder about that exact subject was sent. Thank you for reminding us and doing it with kindness. This insult, mock and belittling crap needs to stop. Repeat offenders are going to find they will no longer be able to post. Leave all that anger behind.

Please and thank you for your understanding and support. ;)

Benesyed

I got a Japanese version of the a305 so the power output is much better and is more than powerful enough for my preferred IEMs (ier-z1r). I'm not sure about the rest of the performance. Would love to see the formal measurements.

My main reason to get a DAP at all were as follows:

1) great battery performance especially for native file playback versus my smart phone (modern smart phones are just terrible these days, especially the pixel)
2) SD card for native library access. I use Spotify to find new music and then buy it and mostly listen to local files. The whole getting rid of SD card readers to force people to use cloud storage is a PIA
3) Small form factor. it's great for travel
4) Small benefit but I enjoy that it lets me disconnect from the world/social media.

For the price it isn't too bad of a value proposition

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I got a Japanese version of the a305 so the power output is much better and is more than powerful enough for my preferred IEMs (ier-z1r). I'm not sure about the rest of the performance. Would love to see the formal measurements.

My main reason to get a DAP at all were as follows:

1) great battery performance especially for native file playback versus my smart phone (modern smart phones are just terrible these days, especially the pixel)
2) SD card for native library access. I use Spotify to find new music and then buy it and mostly listen to local files. The whole getting rid of SD card readers to force people to use cloud storage is a PIA
3) Small form factor. it's great for travel
4) Small benefit but I enjoy that it lets me disconnect from the world/social media.

For the price it isn't too bad of a value proposition
It's a shame the performance isn't better given that it's a dedicated music player.

There are other ways of getting music onto a smartphone than SD cards or cloud storage. I have an iPhone Xs with 512 GB storage and have all of my iTunes music synced to it. Of course, I had to use a lossy codec, but AAC 192 kb/s sounds perfectly fine for mobile use, either with BT earphones or Apple CarPlay.

Benesyed

It's a shame the performance isn't better given that it's a dedicated music player.

There are other ways of getting music onto a smartphone than SD cards or cloud storage. I have an iPhone Xs with 512 GB storage and have all of my iTunes music synced to it. Of course, I had to use a lossy codec, but AAC 192 kb/s sounds perfectly fine for mobile use, either with BT earphones or Apple CarPlay.

My phone memory is pretty heavily occupied with apps and other media. I use beatport for my music and the files natively come in 320 mp3 at the lowest so I'd have convert them to make them smaller each time. it's just easier with my a306 and a 1TB SD card

I'm not saying it's for everyone but the reasons I highlighted don't really have a good work around on the phone. it's a shame that they have pushed everything towards Bluetooth and dongles even though they aren't bad options.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Oh one additional thing is volume control in android is painful on mobile phones. The steps are too big!
That can be an issue. On the iPhone the steps with the side buttons are OK, and I can also use an on-screen slider. Third party music players on Android might be better than the default one. I find Onkyo HF Player better in some ways than the Apple one.

Top Bottom