• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony Acoustic Surface+ TV speaker Center Mode

zuli

Forum Donor
Hey,
I've a Sony AG7 with the ability to use the TV as a center speaker. My current setup is a Denon X6500 , with L/R KEF R7, a KEF R2c as center channel, 2 surrounds KEF R3, 2 subwoofers KEF Kube12. L/R speakers are driven by 2 PS Audio M700, everything else is connected to the Denon.

This is the R2c:
IMG_5699.PNG

And this is the TV speaker center mode:
IMG_5697.PNG

Audissey has revealed an "out of phase", which I've ignored. Distance is 7.56m vs real 2.62m. Crossover is 100Hz.

Do you have experience/opinions/suggestions on this Sony technology?
Thanks
R

grudi

Hi

I have the same issue with the Sony Centre speaker on the AG9. Audyssey shows me "out of phase" and a distance of 8m vs a real distance of around 3m. Fruthermore I have to raise the trim level for the centre spekaer quiet substantially from -8db to 2db in order to hear the dialogue properly.

I don't know exactly how to handle this.

k3ejjgo7jpl

Any progress here? I'm thinking about to use my AG9 as center speaker, but I'm unsure whether this is a good idea. Pro: This center would be really in the center of the picture...

I read in another forum that the "wrong" distance is because the Sony TV need some time to process the signal. This time delay causes the "wrong" distance output during Denon measurement.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hey,
I've a Sony AG7 with the ability to use the TV as a center speaker. My current setup is a Denon X6500 , with L/R KEF R7, a KEF R2c as center channel, 2 surrounds KEF R3, 2 subwoofers KEF Kube12. L/R speakers are driven by 2 PS Audio M700, everything else is connected to the Denon.

This is the R2c:
View attachment 75395

And this is the TV speaker center mode:
View attachment 75396
Audissey has revealed an "out of phase", which I've ignored. Distance is 7.56m vs real 2.62m. Crossover is 100Hz.

Do you have experience/opinions/suggestions on this Sony technology?
Thanks
R
Your corrections are effective for the Sony but, strangely, ineffective for the KEF center. Did you use the same settings?

OP
Z

zuli

Forum Donor
Your corrections are effective for the Sony but, strangely, ineffective for the KEF center. Did you use the same settings?

I don't remember :( Probably that one was showing the results limiting Audissey to 200Hz. I can't double check as I 've deleted the old measurements. I've originally posted the two graphs to compare the performance of the R2c vs the Sony's acoustic surface.

@k3ejjgo7jpl yes, the center is in the real center of the picture, which for 77" TV is a big improvement. And you also can keep the TV to the ideal height, as you don't have to worry about a center channel speaker.
Is it good enough for multichannel music listening? Probably not.

@grudi I've tried to reach to Sony to get technical details about it (Sensitivity, Impedance, ...). But I've got no answer

k3ejjgo7jpl

@zuli Thanks for your answer. I would like to use this only for movies and looking for persons who already use the Sony center mode to share experience.

Last edited:

Dirk Hofmans

Same issue here with my Sony A90J (2021): also fase error despite the correct connections. Connected to a Marantz NR1711. I also had to trim the center speaker to get a decent volume for the speach. The left and right front speakers are set to -2 db, the center I pushed to +3 db. My Audyssee also has set some of my speakers at a crossover to subwoofer at 60Hz, some at 80Hz. When I manually correct this in the settings, would this be effective or will Audysee always overrule the manual adjustment?

Last edited:

Dirk Hofmans

I don't remember :( Probably that one was showing the results limiting Audissey to 200Hz. I can't double check as I 've deleted the old measurements. I've originally posted the two graphs to compare the performance of the R2c vs the Sony's acoustic surface.

@k3ejjgo7jpl yes, the center is in the real center of the picture, which for 77" TV is a big improvement. And you also can keep the TV to the ideal height, as you don't have to worry about a center channel speaker.
Is it good enough for multichannel music listening? Probably not.

@grudi I've tried to reach to Sony to get technical details about it (Sensitivity, Impedance, ...). But I've got no answer
4.1 iso 5.1 is also multi channel stereo ;-). I do not put my sony A90J (= central speaker) on for music only.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I don't know about these specific TVs and if the center mode disables this, but modern TVs use phase tricks to widen the sound. that would surely confuse a correction software that analyses phase

Legal-Alien

Just ignore the phase error when using the center mode of Sony's acoustic surface.
I also have this message with my Sony and sometimes my FL and FR Martin Logan Electrostats Speakers are also out of phase with correct wireing.

The shown distance can also be ignored as the digital audio processing in Sony's amplifier is always active, even in center mode. So there is a time delay which needs to be corrected via distance.

Over all I am very happy with this Center Mode while watching Movies, videos etc.
For serious music listening I always prefer 2-Channel with or without sub, depending on the music.

Dirk Hofmans

Just ignore the phase error when using the center mode of Sony's acoustic surface.
I also have this message with my Sony and sometimes my FL and FR Martin Logan Electrostats Speakers are also out of phase with correct wireing.

The shown distance can also be ignored as the digital audio processing in Sony's amplifier is always active, even in center mode. So there is a time delay which needs to be corrected via distance.

Over all I am very happy with this Center Mode while watching Movies, videos etc.
For serious music listening I always prefer 2-Channel with or without sub, depending on the music.
Same for me. And also when I have visitors, I set the receiver to all channel stereo. Then I play 4.1 iso 5.1. Nobody hears the difference ;-)

Top Bottom