• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony A1 (alpha 1) 30 stills per second, 50MP, 8K Video, 4K 120FPS, 10-bit, $6,500

Tks

Major Contributor
Anyone got any thoughts on it? The specs are staggeringly good with seemingly very little downside aside from price. A rare case where the jack of all trades seems to be killing it on all cylinders.

Not any real reviews of the camera yet (even with embargo lift, Sony gave very little time for this one for some stupid reason), but it looks great. (Video posted will be a YT'er people here may appreciate)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we've reached the point where cameras like Sony's Alpha 1 might be considered longer-term buys for the enthusiast, because aside from the price and a few specifics regarding video, it's not clear to me what's left to wish for! Big leaps in terms of resolution will be limited not by technology, but by the user's ability to hold the camera sufficiently steady and precisely focus the lens, which is why features like eye-tracking are no gimmick in a camera such as this.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
It's impressive. At 30 stills per second are we shooting stills or video?

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
It's impressive. At 30 stills per second are we shooting stills or video?
Shooting stills, and Video is 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 120fps, while 8K 4:2:0 10-bit 30fps.

EDIT: Woops I missed the subtle message, haha I get it now. Yeah the stills performance is insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom