• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony’s new $7,900 player (DMP-Z1)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That may explain how SONY lost it and became just another name in electronics. Same could be said about Matsushita and many others.
How do we explain Toyota dominance in the US and elsewhere though? I have read about the way they apply the "Kaizen" notion but does it explain their success? Perhaps Honda should figure in the list of Japanese companies in tune with their market. Nikon and Canon too ... the latter is particularly aggressive. They do acquire interesting companies that are sometimes leaders in their respective field in a quiet and efficient way. For example in video surveillance they have quietly acquired the leader in IP camera Axis (Not in sale but in name recognition and the only real competitor to the Chinese juggernauts, Axis is the second leading IP camera manufacturer) and the leader in VMS , Milestones System. Both are European companies BTW ... Both remain the same company people have been accustomed to but one can feel the might a large corporation backing them up.
We are beyond ?? ... :)

Last edited:

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thread necro because I didn't want to start another one about the DMP-Z1.

I just read through the developers interview here. Kimber Kable aside, what shocked me the most in all that was this passage:

The first thing we tried was swapping the brass casing [of the potentiometer] to aluminum to reduce the weight of the device. In theory, this shouldn't have had any effect on the sound, but when we actually listened, we found that the sound had become very light.

tenor.gif

Tks

Major Contributor
Thread necro because I didn't want to start another one about the DMP-Z1.

I just read through the developers interview here. Kimber Kable aside, what shocked me the most in all that was this passage:

The first thing we tried was swapping the brass casing [of the potentiometer] to aluminum to reduce the weight of the device. In theory, this shouldn't have had any effect on the sound, but when we actually listened, we found that the sound had become very light.

giphy.gif

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Umm , I guess not everyone is prepared to dress up as a Japanese bride to get ahead in the office.

I have 1/2 Japanese family living in Ome outside of Tokyo so I have seen more than most. My cousin makes his living teaching English to corporate executives (he had a gift and became remarkably fluent in Japanese), but he has a side business dressing up as a Roman Catholic priest and doing second Western style weddings for rich Japanese.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Kashiwa Sunshine Hotel, where we stayed while working NEC's Abiko Plant, has become an adjunct to the new Wedding Chapel that occupies what used to be its little parking lot next door.

1576365786046.png
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.858...4!1sxe0TrPgPVBsQq9WvYOXTLQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The 1986 NEC Christmas Party was held at the Tamiheden Wedding Hall, somewhere nearby.

I had the opportunity to do my imitation Dean Martin Karaoke act on stage.

Top Bottom