• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonus Faber Sonetto II Measurements (now with a spinorama)

Geert

Major Contributor
It feels awfully disingenuous and borderline scam artist to pass off some newly minted company that hasn’t even been around for more than 20 years as having that same kind of prestige, just by being Italian.
Which company are you referring to? Sonus Faber is founded in 1983.

Geert

Major Contributor
They do, even the brands that don't deserve it, like Pathos, Audio Analog and Synthesis. They play up the whole Italian heritage to the nth degree but IMO they really aren't close to the same level of craftsmanship as the aforementioned things you mentioned that Italy is known for. I think Sonus Faber might be the sole exception. Out of all the brands mentioned, its the only one older than 20 years.
Don't forget Diapason., founded in 1987. Their speakers are legendary. Not to mention professional speaker unit manufacturers like RCF and B&C Speakers, they are state of the art and used worldwide.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget Diapason., founded in 1987. Their speakers are legendary. Not to mention professional speaker unit manufacturers like RCF and B&C Speakers, they are state of the art and used worldwide.

Doesn't Diapason use first-order crossovers? Not really an optimal solution the vast majority of the time.

There's also Chario and Opera, which I've been impressed with. The previous gen Opera Seconda struck me as a bit of a unicorn at its price range - dual Scanspeak Classic woofers and SEAS drivers in a sealed floorstander with a beautiful cabinet, all made in Italy.

Geert

Major Contributor
Doesn't Diapason use first-order crossovers? Not really an optimal solution the vast majority of the time.
Yes, it's part of their design philosophy. They get good results with it.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I listened to Chario speaker, don't know model exactly, might be constelation pegasus, but I liked their sound very much. Visually ok, not a showstopper like Sonus, but soundstage was wonderfull. And that was at a show where I listened to a lot of better known brands (Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, JBL...) and more expensive speakers. Wonderfull speaker. I know, this is not a subjectivist forum.... but I think Italians are very good in loudspeaker design (both sound and looks).

Dave Dealer

Good day.
A question to those who have heard the Sonetto II:
How well will Sonetto II play Queen with Arcam sa20 and Topping D50s?
I decided to make my childhood dream come true and build a hifi system.
Before that, the deal with sound was limited by Bluetooth.
Thanks!

jmillar

I feel like most Italian hifi companies try to play up their Italian heritage a lot and act like they’re in the same league as products that come out of there like designer handbags and leather shoes. (...)

Not to mention they hire and employ the most low paid people in the country, in southern Italy. It’s equivalent to all the entrepreneurs starting up hifi companies in Poland and Romania and other impoverished nations and exploiting the dirt cheap labour there. (Audio Note does this)

Italy does have a penchant for creativity, originality, flair, and refinement as well as a very musical history and a culture where sound greatly matters. (elegance in technical aspects too: don't forget the auto heritage)
People forget that Piamonte, Lombardy, Romagna, etc are highly developed regions loaded with technical and engineering talent, and have been so for many, many decades.

Regarding production in the "developing" countries and regions in Europe don't forget that investment there creates wealth and social development (Think of South Carolina auto plants). This lessens dependence on overseas production on which the West may be a little over reliant. (A single ship gets stuck in the Suez canal and the global supply chain is disrupted).
Witness the postwar rise of Japan with its nurturing technical environment coupled to the low cost of manufacturing.
Let's not forget that income measured in purchasing power parity makes living and producing in an emerging economy very affordable. A subsistence wage in London or Paris plants you in the middle class in the "low cost regions" in Europe.
A speaker may be put together in Italy at much less cost than in Denmark or Norway. Add the Northern Italy penchant for technology, design and craftsmanship, including outstanding cabinet making and the EU wide Single Market and you have an excellent "ecosystem" for Audio to thrive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom