• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonus Faber Lumina 2 Near-field measurements.

HelloHell

Sonus Faber Lumina 2 Near-field measurements. The speaker was measured on the shelf about 70 cm from the floor but I don't think it has any influence on this type of measurement. My question is how bad is this resonance in the port?
(I don't know if I did the measurements correctly to call it nearfield)
port.jpg

OP
H

HelloHell

If the resonance is strong enough to show up in the near field measurement of the woofer, then that's pretty bad.
These are the measurements I get in my living room with the mic one meter away from the speaker, here it doesn't even look so bad.

lumina123.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
Well yes, in-room measurements hide a lot of things. That's why Amir uses Klippel NFS

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In-room measurements and Klippel NFS both have their value. I prefer my in-room > Klippel NFS > your in-room.

Beave

Major Contributor
Sonus Faber Lumina 2 Near-field measurements. The speaker was measured on the shelf about 70 cm from the floor but I don't think it has any influence on this type of measurement. My question is how bad is this resonance in the port?
(I don't know if I did the measurements correctly to call it nearfield)
View attachment 269682

That port resonance does look too high.

Remove the binding straps when you do these measurements. Connect to woofer (bottom binding post) and do woofer and port nearfield, then connect to tweeter (upper binding posts) and do tweeter nearfield. That will prevent any bleed-over from one driver to the other.

OP
H

HelloHell

Well yes, in-room measurements hide a lot of things. That's why Amir uses Klippel NFS
Yeah, but it's in-room that I'm going to listen to music on the speakers. As all rooms respond differently Klippel is good for generalized response and to give you an idea of how speakers will respond in your room, this post is not a review.

Last edited:
OP
H

HelloHell

That port resonance does look too high.

Remove the binding straps when you do these measurements. Connect to woofer (bottom binding post) and do woofer and port nearfield, then connect to tweeter (upper binding posts) and do tweeter nearfield. That will prevent any bleed-over from one driver to the other.
Thanks, it makes perfect sense between the woofer and the tweeter, the problem is that on the Lumina 2 the port is very close to the woofer 1cm which makes it difficult to separate.
JBL's are similar and there are others with similar issues. (image credits Amir) But in these the distance between the Port and the woofer is bigger. I don't know I'm confused
jbl.png

maty

Major Contributor
The resonance peak of the bass-reflex would have to be at least 15 dB below to be "acceptable". If the speakers are close to the walls and not 90-100cm from them, I would try to cover it, compensating for the loss of bass with a bit of EQ.

OP
H

HelloHell

The resonance peak of the bass-reflex would have to be at least 15 dB below to be "acceptable". If the speakers are close to the walls and not 90-100cm from them, I would try to cover it, compensating for the loss of bass with a bit of EQ.
but in near field measurements (with the microphone 2 centimeters from the port) does proximity to the wall also have an influence?

Beave

Major Contributor
Yes, the woofer and port are close together and that will make it difficult to separate those two measurements. Probably the best you can do is to place the mic as close as possible to the woofer.

My suggestion was to clean up your plots overall, not specifically related to the woofer/port problem. By following my suggestion, your response for the upper band of the woofer will look cleaner, and your response for the lower band of the tweeter will look cleaner. That *might* help make the port and woofer response a little easier to interpret.

Beave

Major Contributor
but in near field measurements (with the microphone 2 centimeters from the port) does proximity to the wall also have an influence?

No, it shouldn't affect your near-field measurements, especially since the port is also front-facing.

maty

Major Contributor
Triple Test bookshelf speakers – 1000 Euro – Sonus Faber – Focal – Elac
Sonus Faber Lumina II - Measurements

Sonus-Faber-Lumina-II-Response-full-range-1-meter-straight-midpoint-1536x928.png

OP
H

HelloHell

Triple Test bookshelf speakers – 1000 Euro – Sonus Faber – Focal – Elac
Sonus Faber Lumina II - Measurements

View attachment 269852
"Sonus Faber gets to go home with the 1st prize when it comes to good distortion measurements."
yes in my measurements the distortion is incredibly low. this port resonance is not even audible in my listening position, when the speakers warranty expires I will open the box and try to understand where this port resonance comes from.

maty

Major Contributor
I have KEF Q100 coaxial in near field (second system). Very modded. I first tried to reduce the diameter of the front bass-reflex tube until I finally opted to plug it + EQ. The improvement in clarity was evident. Note that in my case the difference is about 14 dB at 1200 Hz.

KEF-Q100-frequency-bass-reflex.png

Take the test, with good audio recordings and decide.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

JktHifi

Sonus faber Omnia was awarded by EISA HIFI 2022-2023 as the best All-in-one Loudspeaker.
What’s the difference to Lumina?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Sonus faber Omnia was awarded by EISA HIFI 2022-2023 as the best All-in-one Loudspeaker.
What’s the difference to Lumina?
The Omnia is an active system that includes a streamer, phono stage, HDMI and other connections. The Lumina is a series of passive speakers.

OP
H

HelloHell

That is some bright sounding loudspeaker for sure.
The measurements lead to this idea, but I don't know what magic this manufacturer has managed to counteract these measurements while listening to music on them. I'm addicted to listening to music on these speakers and I can't stop are not tiring at all, and even the highest pitched sounds and screams feel like silk entering the ears, this brightness is compensated with a very low level of distortion I measured between 42db to 50db of difference across the entire frequency range.

I'll take the opportunity to talk a little more about the speakers.

In some recordings I literally have a vocalist in the middle of the room, not only in the center but also in height and the body that the voice has... In female voices everything is there, from the voice more powerful to the highest notes.
The definition of the instruments, the passage of notes and their separation.
In the first song of the Amused to Death album I had to go back to the beginning of the song after only a minute, it's just that I literally hear a dog outside and the window is on my right, but in the end the dog is part of the song.
This observation of mine can also be seen as suspicious because I've never had speakers of this level and my only note is that even when we close our eyes these boxes seem to be four times the size they need to be accompanied by a subwoofer.
English is not my native language.

Last edited:

JktHifi

The Omnia is an active system that includes a streamer, phono stage, HDMI and other connections. The Lumina is a series of passive speakers.
It’s almost same to the performance of KEF LS50 vs LS50 Wireless II, right? When the passive speaker activated by the manufacturer, the performance boosted to the moon.

Top Bottom