• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Songs you use to determine if a system sounds good

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I recall when I got my last speakers, one of the first songs I used to compare with the old ones was:

"You Make my Dreams" by Hall & Oates.

When I first heared in the new speakers, the beats sounded muffled, the voice uninspiring and everything sounded really flat, and didn't make me chill like the older speakers. I know this is not quite scientific... still I find myseld doing this whenever I try a new pair of headphones too or when I try to EQ something.

So, in my ignorance, it may not sound how it must as in "high-fidelity" sense but this song and maybe others give me the hint of how I like certain my system to sound to feel great while listening to music.

Do you have any? Which are yours?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Gabs

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor

dasdoing

Major Contributor
as I responded in the fixed topic:

for stereo image testing:
Bubbles by Yosi Horikawa
Trilok Gurtu -Living Magic 1991- track n°3 Once I Wished a Tree Upside Down
Also the intro (steps) of MJ - Thriller
World Saxophone Quartet - "the holy men" is a very critical track for instrument positioning. you have 4 saxes all panned into their own space.

for general impression I use songs that I listened to the most in my life. If you listend to a song 400 times subtile diferences in a sytem will be very transparent to you

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
These are the five I use most often:
Hotel California
Blue Bayou (Linda R)
Sweet Georgia Brown (BBC Orchestra)
Tales from the Vienna Woods (Vienna Philharmonic)
Shiek of Araby (Harry Connick, Jr)

These are songs that represent my general musical tastes. And having listened to these particular songs hundreds (perhaps thousands) of times, I can listen for subtle details.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I want to check sound-stage, front to back depth, pace, slam, and especially timing, I use Cage's 4'33". Great for comparing different cable set-ups. :facepalm:

lennard

Dave Grusin's Two For The Road. Not only is it enjoyable to listen to, but it contains exposed portions which really make it easier to judge a system; female vocals, piano, brass, percussion, and bass.

levimax

Major Contributor
Rockin roll ain't noise pollution by AC/DC. Has guitar tone,, bass, and dynamics from quiet lighting of a cigarette to super loud crowded mix. I read this track is used often by professional to test set up.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I use this dispite being on YouTube. Things like are the instruments and singers arranged correctly in the stero space. How much definition and power is in the bass. How many individual singers can I locate. How much ambiant noise is detectable. Most importantly do I get tingles.

Robin L

Master Contributor
When I want to check sound-stage, front to back depth, pace, slam, and especially timing, I use Cage's 4'33". Great for comparing different cable set-ups. :facepalm:
What version? My favorite is Zappa's:

Robin L

Master Contributor
This was a particular favorite track as an LP test for cartridge set-up thanks to its complex use of reverb and overall "goodness" of sound. Beautifully produced without being overproduced.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Dave Grusin's Two For The Road. Not only is it enjoyable to listen to, but it contains exposed portions which really make it easier to judge a system; female vocals, piano, brass, percussion, and bass.

Had never heared it but searched for it in Tidal and when started to play the first song I knew what you are talking about.. :)

zelig

Forum Donor
Do you guys really use Youtube to test your sound system? Surely the quality of the recording is more important than the music? Not arguing, just asking.

raindance

Major Contributor
Absolutely great choice. Homage to Duke and Gershwin Connection are great also.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Do you guys really use Youtube to test your sound system? Surely the quality of the recording is more important than the music? Not arguing, just asking.

I just use youtube to find songs or live performances, not to test if something sounds good, if you refer to Vini comment, I am sure that's an exception because he couldn't find the recording in a proper quality/format.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I just use youtube to find songs or live performances, not to test if something sounds good, if you refer to Vini comment, I am sure that's an exception because he couldn't find the recording in a proper quality/format.
Your right I haven't yet been able to find that concert anywhere else :( the actual ost is available on vinyl but don't use that format.

Top Bottom