• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Songs that sound better in in lossless vs compressed streaming

RC231

I recently started a trial of amazon HD music to compare to spotify premium that I have been using. I am using HEOS for amazon and connect for spotify both through my Denon X3700. I think I might be able to hear a difference but it is very small in my normal listening. I am looking for suggestion on music that might showcase a bigger difference between the service to help decide if switching is worth it.
I don't have anyway to level match the sources so this might all be moot anyway.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I haven't heard any difference personally, unless the original was remastered for high res.

UCrazyKid

In my experience when comparing on good (low distortion) equipment the only difference between Redbook (16bit/44.1KHz) and higher definition (SACD, HD, Hi-Res) is of a different or better mastering was used for the “higher definition” version of the same recording.

OP
R

RC231

My title is a bit misleading I want to compare lossy compression (spotify premium @320) vs Amazon HD uncompressed at 16/44 or better. The science is pretty convincing that going over 16/44 is not worthwhile as described in the linked article, but much less binary on the compressed vs lossless end.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently started a trial of amazon HD music to compare to spotify premium that I have been using. I am using HEOS for amazon and connect for spotify both through my Denon X3700. I think I might be able to hear a difference but it is very small in my normal listening. I am looking for suggestion on music that might showcase a bigger difference between the service to help decide if switching is worth it.
I don't have anyway to level match the sources so this might all be moot anyway.

Studies have definitely shown that it's possible to discriminate lossily compressed recordings from their lossless originals, although at 320kbps it tends to be very difficult, and to take some training, the right source material, and a good system. So I wouldn't expect there to be any audible difference between the two for most recordings/systems/listeners, although subtle differences may be apparent in some circumstances.

Also keep in mind that a lot of streamed content from major labels appears to be watermarked, which may result in audible quality degradation regardless whether the content is streamed at lossy 16/44 or lossless 24/96.

Personally, as I started with Spotify before a lossless hi-res service with a significant collection of music existed, I have decided to stick with it. I guess there might be some subtle audible differences, but having done a number of 320kbps to lossless blind tests on myself, I've concluded that in most cases I can't hear differences, and in those few cases where I might be able to, the effects of lossy compression are very subtle and don't hinder my enjoyment of the music, anyway.

UCrazyKid

From the point of view of Audio SCIENCE Review, Lossy is lossy and lossless is lossless, this is not an apples to apples comparison and how things sound is subjective and not scientific, or measurable in a meaningful way. If you are removing data, it is not the same as lossless and compressed.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Lewis Capaldi’s album sounds better in hi Rez, and I’m fairly certain that would hold up with blind ab. It’s clearly a different master, though, as it starts at a lower dB, peaks just as high and has a little more bass on a few tracks. There were some other examples I found, when I looked last year, but I don’t remember specifics anymore. The vast majority I checked sounded either exactly the same, or close enough that I’d have to try much harder(and implement blind protocols) then I did to sufficiently convince myself there was a difference.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lewis Capaldi’s album sounds better in hi Rez, and I’m fairly certain that would hold up with blind ab. It’s clearly a different master, though, as it starts at a lower dB, peaks just as high and has a little more bass on a few tracks. There were some other examples I found, when I looked last year, but I don’t remember specifics anymore. The vast majority I checked sounded either exactly the same, or close enough that I’d have to try much harder(and implement blind protocols) then I did to sufficiently convince myself there was a difference.
A different master in lorez would probably sound good too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen to plenty of ripped cds on my own network as well as some mp3 (normally 256-320 range) as well as Spotify. Nothing pops out that might point out a difference....maybe something with particular cymbals used? Why worry about it?

OP
R

RC231

I needed a second subsciption so my wife and I can listen to different things in different places at the same time. Amazon has a 3m free trial so I am trying it and evaluating if there is a sound quality difference that is worth the extra cost (minor) and worse interface than spotify. It is hard to do a good comparison so I wanted to see if other people here could tell the difference and on what tracks to see for myself.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I needed a second subsciption so my wife and I can listen to different things in different places at the same time. Amazon has a 3m free trial so I am trying it and evaluating if there is a sound quality difference that is worth the extra cost (minor) and worse interface than spotify. It is hard to do a good comparison so I wanted to see if other people here could tell the difference and on what tracks to see for myself.

Doesn't spotify have a nice family deal to accommodate?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I haven't heard any difference personally, unless the original was remastered for high res.
You just said it. Even though I do not support MQA, some of their masters are way better than the originals. Sucks to have that proprietary format in some of the most brilliant masters I've ever heard.

D

Deleted member 19195

My title is a bit misleading I want to compare lossy compression (spotify premium @320) vs Amazon HD uncompressed at 16/44 or better. The science is pretty convincing that going over 16/44 is not worthwhile as described in the linked article, but much less binary on the compressed vs lossless end.

Sorry, can't help you. I can't hear any difference between the two.

D

Deleted member 19195

Doesn't spotify have a nice family deal to accommodate?

They do indeed. We are a couple without children. We pay for the 15 dollar family plan for the extremely rare occasion we both listen at the same time.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
You just said it. Even though I do not support MQA, some of their masters are way better than the originals. Sucks to have that proprietary format in some of the most brilliant masters I've ever heard.
I didn't know that MQA material has be remastered. Do you have an example?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I didn't know that MQA material has be remastered. Do you have an example?
Not all MQA-encoded music is remastered and I don't think this is a requirement, but some albums are for some reason, maybe because the song needs a remaster or they just want to provide more value with your acquisition. An example of this is the album "Black Widow" by In this Moment. When I was a Tidal user, the MQA version had the cymbals better defined, and this is something I didn't need a double-blind to notice. I remember I was switching between the regular version and the MQA quickly, and I clearly could hear the difference in that album. I think there are other examples out there, but a remaster for MQA wouldn't be a strange thing to do.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Not all MQA-encoded music is remastered and I don't think this is a requirement, but some albums are for some reason, maybe because the song needs a remaster or they just want to provide more value with your acquisition. An example of this is the album "Black Widow" by In this Moment. When I was a Tidal user, the MQA version had the cymbals better defined, and this is something I didn't need a double-blind to notice. I remember I was switching between the regular version and the MQA quickly, and I clearly could hear the difference in that album. I think there are other examples out there, but a remaster for MQA wouldn't be a strange thing to do.
I'm only familar with MQA as a container tech, not their industry presence. To me it feels very weird.

Top Bottom