• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Songs that depict real events...Now also, playlist on Spotify

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I hope someone mentioned The Ballad of Charles Whitman by the great Kinky Friedman.
I do not know, but I added it. Spotify warns if you want to add a duplicate to a playlist but I do not know if it is exactly the same version or if there are some other algorithms it is based on, the warning that is. Wait, I can check ... Of course, this only applies if it is exactly the same you want to enter again. No more advanced than that.

This is what the playlist looks like now::)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Little folklore. Available in slightly different shapes and variants. Enticed with playing instruments and or singing and with that seduced young people and made them follow him where he wanted.

The Nixie, Nixy,[1] Nix,[1] Näcken, Nicor, Nokk, or Nokken (German: Nixe; Dutch: nikker, nekker; Danish: nøkke; Norwegian Bokmål: nøkk; Nynorsk: nykk; Swedish: näck; Faroese: nykur; Finnish: näkki; Estonian: näkk; Old English: nicor) are humanoid, and often shapeshifting water spirits in Germanic mythology and of folklore.

Under a variety of names, they were common to the stories of all Germanic peoples,[2] although they are perhaps best known from Scandinavian folklore. The related English knucker was generally depicted as a wyrm or dragon, although more recent versions depict the spirits in other forms. Their sex, bynames, and various transformations vary geographically. The German Nix and his Scandinavian counterparts were male. The German Nixe was a female river mermaid.[2] Similar creatures are known from other parts of Europe, such as the Melusine in France, and the Slavic water spirits (e.g. the Rusalka) in Slavic countries.

So nothing new under the sun. By the way, the song reflects real events that happen all the time , all over the world.:)

Last edited:

jp4573

Charly García - Los Dinosaurios​

About missing people - Argentina 1976-1983

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am too lazy to look ;) did anyone mention The Ballad of John and Yoko?
For some reason, that little ditty is stuck in my head today.

If it's already here, my apologies -- epecially if I posted it already! ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I mentioned the great Cape Cod-based singer/songwriter/guitarist Patty Larkin early on in this thread.
Patty Larkin's Wolf at the Door was inspired by an unfortunate encounter she had with an un-named female singer/songwriter/guitarist -- reputedly Suzanne Vega. It's a great song, showcasing Ms Larkin's fine guitar skilz.

threni

Major Contributor
Frank Zappa - Outrage at Valdez

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of what is happening now in Ukraine.

"1944 ”has been accused of having politically charged lyrics, and of being specifically aimed at Russia in the aftermath of the annexation of the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Jamala herself says she was inspired to write the song after her own grandmother's stories about the deportation of Crimean Tatars was carried out by Josef Stalin in 1944. According to her, it has no political message but is a story of a family tragedy. Others also agree that the song is more of a memorial song. The rules for the Eurovision Song Contest are that songs with political lyrics and messages are forbidden, but the EBU confirmed that it found no reason to prevent "1944" from being Ukraine's contribution to the competition."

Sure, it's probably pretty obvious that it was 2014 that was referred to.:)
(it can be about both events)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
This is one is a classic. It depicts the massacre of Carandiru prison in Brazil.

Grumpish

John Coltrane - Alabama, inspired by the Klu Klux Klan bombing of a Baptist church in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963.

Top Bottom