• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz SGP1

Anthony T

I think the problem is you purchased a newcomer brand name believing it will offer (for free!!) the standards and features of other well matured names like Denon you mentioned which proved wrong. Those indeed spend a lot of money and resources in publishing how you expected the newcomer should do. That's your mistake.
Soncoz aren’t “newcomers” as you put it, the designer has produced several products under different names over several years so the premise of your supposition is nonsense. If you’d followed this particular amplifiers development you’d have known that features have changed and it’s been long-delayed. The Trigger has been implemented appallingly and doesn’t work with any current product.
You're the one making the mistake…

TimW

Major Contributor
Anyone have any other insight to share about this amp? Aside from the trigger peculiarity, is there any issues? I see them for sale on Audiophonics and Linsoul, but it looks like they don't ship immediately?

johnybear

I purchased the SGP1 and within the first week the right channel would occasionally Cut out and go into protection on the right channel.Three weeks later the right channel stopped working completely. I returned to HIFi go and they were returning to Soncoz. I will update later on this issue.

Dvass13

I have been using this amp for a few months with no issues to date. It replaced a Benchmark AHB2 that I haven't yet had a chance to sell. Only reason for replacing the AHB2 was just to reduce the overall cost of my system.

TimW

Major Contributor
I'm also interested to hear more about this amp in the real world, but I think if @johnybear just returned it then there wouldn't be more to report. Would like to know what happened inside the unit and if reliability should be a concern though.

From Zeos' review it seems that this little amp gets fairly hot, @Dvass13 is this your experience? Do you power this on and off with the main power switch? How are the VU meters when you listen? Entertainingly bouncy? Boring? Cartoonish? Also where did you buy from?

I initially thought the unit would have a SMPS due to the compact size of the power supply. However Zeos noted that the black cover over it gets very warm and I noticed there is a voltage selection switch so I doubt it is one. Is there an EI core transformer hiding under that black cover?

TimW

Major Contributor
However, I don't intend to return my SGP1 (unless it doesn't work at all ;)) and will report back my thoughts, unfortunately only subjective, on its performance when I get a chance to put it in service - that may not happen for a bit, though - very busy time of year at work.
Did you get the chance to test this puppy out?

da Choge

Forum Donor
Did you get the chance to test this puppy out?
I'll let you know after this weekend. Unfortunately, other things have kept me from setting this up sooner, but it is in place now and all I have to do is cable it to the rest of the system and give it a go. Will report back soon.

Mikeson29

The Soncoz SGP1 in silver arrived last week Friday. The anticipation was great, the disappointment on Saturday then also.
Right channel defective, nothing works.

I will return the device next week from Germany. From Switzerland, the cost is about 150 francs, I do not see that.

I think I do not want a replacement unit, I will rather get a higher quality Rotel RB-1552 MKII with comparable specs moreover even more solid.

I get for 100 francs less and can drive in 20 minutes to the nearest dealer if something is broken.

Mike
IMG_20230304_004007479 (1).jpg

TimW

Major Contributor
Two ASR members who have purchased this amp and report a dead channel. Not a large sample size but there are very few reviews or anecdotes about this product online. The measurements and design looked excellent but I'm going to have to pass.

Fontie

The Soncoz SGP1 in silver arrived last week Friday. The anticipation was great, the disappointment on Saturday then also.

I will return the device next week from Germany. From Switzerland, the cost is about 150 francs, I do not see that.

I think I do not want a replacement unit, I will rather get a higher quality Rotel RB-1552 MKII with comparable specs moreover even more solid.

I get for 100 francs less and can drive in 20 minutes to the nearest dealer if something is broken.

MikeView attachment 270482

Mikeson29

Maybe no bad idea. I also startet considering this.
But in the end i think i will stick still to class A/B.

da Choge

Forum Donor
Well, finally installed -- a week later than indicated - Apologies! With some of the reports of failed channels, I got spooked and decided to at least test mine out. Intended to do this 3 months earlier, and now, the unit may be beyond any warranty? :oops: :facepalm:; but so far, so good. It is serving as the primary front L & R channel amp in my living room right now (it's really intended for my bedroom setup; that's why you'll see the mixture of black and silver components).

Cranked the volume all the way up on the DAC (Topping DM7) and the secondary preamp (Topping Pre/Ext 90) [without the source playing, of course] and absolutely NO speaker hiss (speaker [actually component] hiss bothers me terribly and I've returned several mid- to high-end units for the same); so, at least, the SNR on this amp seems really great. Can't say if it sounds "superior" to my basic Denon AVR-A110 setup, but I doubt I could really tell the difference, anywhose. The Denon A110 is a decent-measuring component as far as AVRs go.

I've been concerned about the few reports of this amp in use, and a significant number (although extremely small reported overall sample) have had issues. Time will tell if this amp is reliable, but so far, no issues at all. And, I am pleased with its operation, although I've still got to put it through its paces. I'm also using it as the front channel amp for Home Theater Bypass use with the Denon and it's working as planned. But, to get it all automated and remote-controlled as I want will take a little finagling. Haven't tried the trigger, but I am expecting it won't work as reported previously and pretty much confirmed by Soncoz. I have a wireless power switch that I will employ, if my new AV power protection unit doesn't have a delayed power-on for amps.

Here are a couple of pics (please ignore the spaghetti of cables in the background, still moving things around ;)):

AV Stack.jpeg

Soncoz SGP1.jpeg

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, finally installed -- a week later than indicated - Apologies! With some of the reports of failed channels, I got spooked and decided to at least test mine out. Intended to do this 3 months earlier, and now, the unit may be beyond any warranty? :oops: :facepalm:; but so far, so good. It is serving as the primary front L & R channel amp in my living room right now (it's really intended for my bedroom setup; that's why you'll see the mixture of black and silver components).

Cranked the volume all the way up on the DAC (Topping DM7) and the secondary preamp (Topping Pre/Ext 90) [without the source playing, of course] and absolutely NO speaker hiss (speaker [actually component] hiss bothers me terribly and I've returned several mid- to high-end units for the same); so, at least, the SNR on this amp seems really great. Can't say if it sounds "superior" to my basic Denon AVR-A110 setup, but I doubt I could really tell the difference, anywhose. The Denon A110 is a decent-measuring component as far as AVRs go.

I've been concerned about the few reports of this amp in use, and a significant number (although extremely small reported overall sample) have had issues. Time will tell if this amp is reliable, but so far, no issues at all. And, I am pleased with its operation, although I've still got to put it through its paces. I'm also using it as the front channel amp for Home Theater Bypass use with the Denon and it's working as planned. But, to get it all automated and remote-controlled as I want will take a little finagling. Haven't tried the trigger, but I am expecting it won't work as reported previously and pretty much confirmed by Soncoz. I have a wireless power switch that I will employ, if my new AV power protection unit doesn't have a delayed power-on for amps.

Here are a couple of pics (please ignore the spaghetti of cables in the background, still moving things around ;)):

View attachment 271055

View attachment 271056
hmm. much bigger than I imagined. Quite handsome-and those VU meters!

Snoopy

Major Contributor

MikeView attachment 270482

If I was in the market for this amp I would order it from audiophonics to avoid warranty problems.

Mikeson29

If I was in the market for this amp I would order it from audiophonics to avoid warranty problems.

That was exactly what i did. I made so far very good experiences with Audiophonics.
Btw. the defective poweramp arrived today at Audiophonics. I'll keep you updated abot the further steps

johnybear

I purchased the SGP1 and within the first week the right channel would occasionally Cut out and go into protection on the right channel.Three weeks later the right channel stopped working completely. I returned to HIFi go and they were returning to Soncoz. I will update later on this issue.
Update. I received a new unit from Soncoz and so far so good. I was not informed what was wrong with the first unit but based on the fact that it ran considerably hotter than this replacement. I would assume the first batch had a glitch. Sound is transparent, neutral and operates much cooler even at idle.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Soncoz SGP1 Stereo Power Amplifier Balanced class AB review.jpg

Top Bottom