• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz SGP1

raest

lol. it was a difficult sell at 1100. at 1500 it's just... can't even say it without the risk of getting banned :D

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
lol. it was a difficult sell at 1100. at 1500 it's just... can't even say it without the risk of getting banned :D
In that price tag you have class D Purifi amplifiers ... or, something cheaper ... like smsl A2 (also 200 watts in 4 ohms) class D at 1k.

If you want to pay for vu meters, it's ok, life is too short and is your money.
Maybe we should try some apples to apples comparaison here?

Assembled amps based on existing components, designed by tiers engineers VS complete in-house class AB design.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I'm looking for the most important factor: price vs performance.

Let me say that Purifi modules are designed by very competent engineers and with the top technology available ... but in the end, I value the performance. Accuphase is a complete in-house AB design ... but with a very poor price / performance ratio.

raest

Maybe we should try some apples to apples comparaison here?

Assembled amps based on existing components, designed by tiers engineers VS complete in-house class AB design.

it's power amp to power amp. can't get more apples to apples than that. where the company decides to source the components or whether it's designing them in-house is ultimately irrelevant. you're buying the end product, not the r&d and management process.

if it cost them so much to develop with no added benefit compared to available options, that just means they have poor management (who approved the r&d and manufacture of this, particularly after the cut features only months ago).

on the bright side, at least it looks like a better buy than the LA90 :p

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it's power amp to power amp. can't get more apples to apples than that. where the company decides to source the components or whether it's designing them in-house is ultimately irrelevant. you're buying the end product, not the r&d and management process.
Well, we disagree on that very last point.

When I purchase audio equipment, I also reward good engineering and R&D. As far as I'm concerned, I also prefer to pay more for aesthetics, exclusivity, many others factors than just performance alone.
if it cost them so much to develop with no added benefit compared to available options, that just means they have poor management
I disagree as well. With such way of thinking, there's no place for innovation, nor competition. And I'm very sorry, but AB amps and ready-to-assemble D modules are 100% different stories regarding R&D, even if they will audibly perform the same at the end.
on the bright side, at least it looks like a better buy than the LA90 :p
That goes without saying...:p

Last edited:

mike70

Well, we disagree on that very last point.

When I purchase audio equipment, I also reward good engineering and R&D. As far as I'm concerned, I also prefer to pay more for aesthetics, exclusivity, many others factors than just performance alone.

I disagree as well. With such way of thinking, there's no place for innovation, nor competition. And I'm very sorry, but AB amps and ready-to-assemble D modules are 100% different stories regarding R&D, even if they will audibly perform the same at the end.

That goes without saying...:p
Unknown the R&D justly on the last technology amplifiers (class D) ... in front of 40 years class AB technology ... well, I don't how to call it really.

Even worst if you think you're right at the end ... what to say? I think nothing. It's ok, anyone's free will

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unknown the R&D justly on the last technology amplifiers (class D) ... in front of 40 years class AB technology ... well, I don't how to call it really.
Unless you care to elaborate your (hardly understandable) post, it will be difficult to respond anything...

For now, I feel quite a few misconceptions in the air.

da Choge

Forum Donor
OK, Uncle!!! I have to admit I've become rather impatient/frustrated in not seeing an ASR review of this fairly new Soncoz SGP1 (and I recognize Amir already has way too much on his table). Been checking everyday. I kinda thought Soncoz would have sent Amir a unit for review. Soncoz did previously (send a unit to ASR for review) through one of their distributor's, Aoshida Audio, for the SGA1, and then again themselves (via its designer) for the SGD1. This seems to me to be kind of a flagship product for Soncoz, so I was hoping they would send a unit to Amir for review. Why we haven't heard anything at all is a little puzzling -- it's already been released for sale. My best guess is that Amir has NOT been sent the SGP1 from Soncoz for review. WolfX-700 did a review of the Soncoz SGP1, but, of course, it is in Chinese on his site, and a little difficult for me to fully interpret. Overall, Wolf's measurements looked pretty damn good, but there were ones where some questions might occur. Amir's reviews usually clarify these kind of things for us non-pro English readers.

If Amir already has this unit, I wonder why we haven't seen a review on ASR as of yet? And, if he doesn't have the unit, should it become incumbent on one of ASR's members (like me?) to TOFTT, purchase a unit, and send it into Amir for review? I don't think many, if any, meaningful changes could be made by the manufacturer, after release, to a purely analog component such as this, so it is what it is ... Correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zef

juliangst

Looks like a huge miss by Soncoz. I cannot find any reviews or videos on it; If it's reliable I can see it as a nice middle ground between the LA90 and AHB2 for people who just don't want Class D

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A little 10% discount at @Audiophonics.

If it's reliable I can see it as a nice middle ground between the LA90 and AHB2 for people who just don't want Class D
I think that's the entire point. Not to mention it still is more powerful than an AHB2, power being way more important than SINAD, especially at these levels (100dB+).

juliangst

Zeos did a review on this amp. I'm really suprised how well build it actually looks in real life

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
how are they doing a 120w power class a/b amp at 8kg???

whats the size ie. VA of the EL transformer?

CyBorek

No one from the forum has bought one to share with impression about this amp? I already found buyer for my smsl da-9 + soncoz amp and now I need to make a choice: sgp1 + minidsp flex balanced or Arcam SA30. Pretty close money for both setups.

da Choge

Forum Donor
No one from the forum has bought one to share with impression about this amp?
I finally ordered one (in Silver) on Amazon via HiFiGo. It was supposed to be coming sometime in early November. HiFiGo just recently texted to inform me that all the SGD1s (in black and silver) had been sold out. They further informed me that more units were being produced and that black would be available a couple of weeks before the silver. In that email they asked if I a) wanted to cancel my order altogether, b) wanted to switch to a black unit and get it sooner, or, c) wanted to wait for the silver? I chose waiting for the silver, but I also requested something else.

Photos of the previously delivered silver production units that I had seen had black-headed metal screws in the silver faceplate. Although not a big deal, it was definitely, IMO, a less esthetic outcome than silver-headed screws would have given the silver component (photos of the pre-production/marketing units all had silver screws). So, I requested if I could get a unit with silver screws in the faceplate, or at least have six compatible silver-headed screws sent along with the unit, and I would change them out myself.

HiFiGo answered my email the next day, saying that they (or maybe Soncoz?) had instructed the factory to use silver screws for the next production batch of silver units. HiFiGo is a Chinese online "store", that along with many other Chinese online stores that market electronics, may have more connected and intimate relationships with the Shenzhen District manufacturers (eg. Soncoz, for one) than we may understand.

Anyways, they not only promptly answered my request, but sent me pictures of what I assume are the new production silver units (with the SILVER screws!). Photos are attached (they sent a few more photos, but I attached the two I thought were the most demonstrative). How's that for excellent customer service?

Attachments

• SGP1-BlackScrews.jpg
    SGP1-BlackScrews.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 232
  • SGP1-SilverScrews.png
    SGP1-SilverScrews.png
    765.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

CyBorek

Damn, that's pretty awesome. I was worried about black screws also, but I would like to pick the black version of the AMP anyway.

pickyAudiophile

Thank you @da Choge for sharing your experiences. Now as "Singles Day" sales is about to begin in a couple of hours people interested are "doomed" to conclusively make up their minds.
First let's see what the actual discount on this one will be. Maybe 20% or so. $ 989, only 10%
I really don't like buying blindly in general. Worst what could happen once I received that item and started with testing, performing blind testing, back-and-forth switching, was unability to differentiate between that SGP1 and my surprisingly capable dual mono SMSL A300 's when it comes to subjectively perceived sonics. In that case I would ask myself: why I did I do that again, buying class AB, for no good reason?

-edit-
almost 70 watts of power consumption at idle measured by Zeos Pantera, that's a deal breaker right away

Last edited:
Top Bottom