• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz SGP1

TK750

Looks great, will be interested to see how it measures and the price. Especially as their first headphone amp (SGA-1 I think it was?) was a bit overpriced and underperformed (at low impedances). Their second, more budget HPA looks a bit better, definitely price wise anyway. I haven't seen any 3rd party measurements though and there is still some weirdness going on at low impedances with the single ended output having more power than the balanced.

EmZet

Noooo don't go there lol
What was initially meant as a joke is getting closer to becoming real - got an answer from Soncoz's rep and I was told that June was not the milestone (surprise). They are supposingly tuning the amp with the goal providing the best product possible. I'll leave this to your deduction what it could mean with overall knowledge you have so far about development of this "case'

DataFiend

Welp, I just got another reply from Emma of “Not yet” when I emailed her. Not a promising answer I’d expect we may be in for a few months of waiting. I think they have a small team internal so it’s just something I am trying to accept as I hold off and wait for this thing. Cheers all.

DataFiend

With inflation I may as well buy the benchmark and in a year this thing will be maybe a value but at the same price ✌️

DataFiend

Pressed a bit on date as I think this amp will provide a nice value prop against the ahb2 and was told it should ship “this month” - we’ll see !

EmZet

For me it is a classic sign of worst communication approach possible towards customer.

Either they have issues and they should come out with that in transparent manner considering the good reputation they started to build with their former products, or in case they don`t have issues they just shall provide as much information as possible of the upcoming product = product specs, real release date etc. In either way it`s becoming more shady.

Or, we (world with western mentality) are not their main scope and they don`t bother that much with what we want as customers.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Still excited for that amp.
They don’t have a product page yet but if it measures nearly as good as their other stuff it would be a good alternative to purifi amps or the topping LA90

DataFiend

For me it is a classic sign of worst communication approach possible towards customer.

Either they have issues and they should come out with that in transparent manner considering the good reputation they started to build with their former products, or in case they don`t have issues they just shall provide as much information as possible of the upcoming product = product specs, real release date etc. In either way it`s becoming more shady.

Or, we (world with western mentality) are not their main scope and they don`t bother that much with what we want as customers.
Yeah trying to stick in at least to see how its value proposition stacks against the topping or even benchmark. The hope for me would be to get 2 in mono cheaper than the benchmark amp. I just messaged AGAIN asking for dates etc….as her last response was no info which yeah - not a good communication strat there.

juliangst

Yeah trying to stick in at least to see how its value proposition stacks against the topping or even benchmark. The hope for me would be to get 2 in mono cheaper than the benchmark amp. I just messaged AGAIN asking for dates etc….as her last response was no info which yeah - not a good communication strat there.
They could at least release a spec sheet or say the price range it plays in. There is tough competition with the Topping LA90, Purifi and AHB2

DataFiend

Reply: “The first batch is in production, and you can buy it directly from me when it's OK.

Also, should let you know, we changed it to the basic version, removing the single-ended input and MONO bridging mode.

We are preparing product information and will release it on the official website soon.”

For anyone who missed the few specs she shared with me earier:
4Ω@200W*2
8Ω@100W*2
Not bridgable now and only balanced In

juliangst

Reply: “The first batch is in production, and you can buy it directly from me when it's OK.

Also, should let you know, we changed it to the basic version, removing the single-ended input and MONO bridging mode.

We are preparing product information and will release it on the official website soon.”

For anyone who missed the few specs she shared with me earier:
4Ω@200W*2
8Ω@100W*2
Not bridgable now and only balanced In
Bad news imho. Power is inbetween Purifi and LA90 but we don't know at what distortion.
Not sure why they remove the bridge mode; 100W at 8 Ohms isn't that much compared to Purifi or Benchmark.
I hope it'll end up as a competitive product with better value than the LA90 :)

DataFiend

Yeah I am with you man. At this point I am going to wait and see how it pans out. It will always be tough to compete with topping but I actually kind if like the stripped down featureset though, depending on the reason they removed the mono feature.
Bad news imho. Power is inbetween Purifi and LA90 but we don't know at what distortion.
Not sure why they remove the bridge mode; 100W at 8 Ohms isn't that much compared to Purifi or Benchmark.
I hope it'll end up as a competitive product with better value than the LA90 :)

juliangst

Yeah I am with you man. At this point I am going to wait and see how it pans out. It will always be tough to compete with topping but I actually kind if like the stripped down featureset though, depending on the reason they removed the mono feature.
It all comes down to price. I wouldn't pay more than 1K for an amp like that. The audiophonics purifi is 1350€, has much more power and is way easier to maintain (because there are just 2 amp modules, 1 input board and the power supply).
That's why I'm hesitant towards more complicated amps from companies like soncoz or topping.

DataFiend

I know I've been all hyped about this amp. But we should see these I hope soon. Price is probably a bit higher than some expected but there is the aesthetic aspect that some may appreciate.

"The retail price of SGP1 is $1,099.
The first batch of it were sold for $999."

First batch was sold locally, I am probably never getting one at this point in the US - I even told her I wanted to send it to Amir :/

Aug 2nd - "We will release the detailed product information on the official website within this week. The specific delivery time has not been confirmed yet, but this month is no problem."

Top Bottom