• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz SGD1 (ES9038q) vs Gustard A18 (AK4499)? Which one to choose

LaLaLard

I've been looking at Soncoz SGD1 for some time. It is amazing how a freshman could implement the cheap(ish) 9038q to such perfection! It showcase the designer's profesionality.

I've contacted the company and was told the ES chip "hump" has been fixed already. This makes the SGD1 an even more attractive option.

Another company with good engineering technique - Gustard, has released their more affordable version of A22 - Gustard A18 around a month ago. They posted their release of A18 on erji.com (the biggest head-fi like forum in China) on 1 May 2020.

More details in English can be found here: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ed-dac-lme49860-6-decoder-with-remote-control

I haven't seen technical review of it to date, so am not sure about its quality, but Gustard's boss Mr.Huang once claimed in a Hifi expo that Gustard was trying hard to come close to A22's quality when designing A18, so I think it's not going to be too far off, if not very close.

Here are some details to look at:

d423f196a5544630ede1cb1cb4ca05ee.jpg

0aee55aa2601e0cafcf194ced75005c6.jpg

A quick look inside:
414bb3f61d7a3cc8e8890129275229f5.jpg

When Hifi equipments are good enough in terms of sonic performance, I tend to look for some extra feature and overall design quality, and that's why I purchased RME ADI-2. But this time I need another DAC for the speaker system.

The Gustard A18 looks quite neat inside! it reminds me of apple and Devialet.

O1CN01rilxP41cCM9gUxdLL_!!2228493564.jpg

Soncoz SGD1 is slightly worse in my personal opinion. I don't particularly like the sticky tape.

And AK4499 are surely more expensive, yet A18 is around $100-$150 cheaper than SGD1. This could imply better designing or cost management or bigger scale or production...I don't know.

What do you think?

OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

Reddy

I have the a18. The first impression is positive: workmanship, feeling of value, sound are good. I can only compare it to the Topping d50, and in my opinion the a18 is the better one.

I think the messuring results speak for themselves. Incl. tax customs duty and shippment with dhl express I have paid 600Euro. I am pleased with that.

I think the next step would be to develope the highend dac in the direction of rme with integrated eq.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
I just picked up a Soncoz SGD1 over the Gustard A18 for the following reasons:
  1. @Ben1987 generously documenting his escapades in taming the ESS IMD hump.
  2. $470 vs. $560.
  3. Volume control knob instead of disc.
  4. Optical input, which I absolutely cannot do without.
It arrives Wednesday next week.

OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

I just picked up a Soncoz SGD1 over the Gustard A18 for the following reasons:
  1. @Ben1987 generously documenting his escapades in taming the ESS IMD hump.
  2. $470 vs. $560.
  3. Volume control knob instead of disc.
  4. Optical input, which I absolutely cannot do without.
It arrives Wednesday next week.
Great! I got A18 on 18Jun from Taobao.com as that’s one of the biggest sale day in a year. A18 was $50 cheaper than SGD1 by then. But yes optical input and volume knob are definetely important features.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a volume disc in my dac and it works very well and it's as handy as a traditional volume knob, no issue. I would just wish that when volume is controled, the digits to appear in BIG.

wplchou88

Great! I got A18 on 18Jun from Taobao.com as that’s one of the biggest sale day in a year. A18 was $50 cheaper than SGD1 by then. But yes optical input and volume knob are definetely important features.

Any thoughts on it? surprisingly little discussed, Im considering this vs the Soncoz or sabaj , both similar price from where i am

OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

Any thoughts on it? surprisingly little discussed, Im considering this vs the Soncoz or sabaj , both similar price from where i am
I got consolidated and shipped by sea with other stuff of mine and it’s going to arrive in a few weeks time. I’ll post some thoughts once received.
There’s very little discussion here but there are more on Chinese forums. Boss of Gustard Mr. Huang is quite ambitious when he said “A18 is designed to match A22” which to me sounds like the performance of A18 is going to be no worse. As a business person he certainly couldn’t say “A18 is as good as A22 for half the price” unless A22 is going to be discontinued.
If that’s the case based on measurements of A22 I’m not worried about that part of A18.
The recent review of okto researches also shows European products could perform that well for a relatively reasonable price (under or around $1000~) so at least in 2020 high SINAD is no longer that important a key selling point.
Features are.

hteavnafets

Forum Donor
I've got the sgd1. It is a really great dac. But i think so both of them have great mesaurements, so i think so it is not so important which of them you will choose. I am very happy with my sgd1. Best regards

Top Bottom