• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Massimo

With the SGD1, is the SPDIF digital out fixed volume or can it be adjusted using the volume knob/remote?

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
The volume is fixed from the SPDIF out.

I use it to feed my Genelec Ones, using a Neutrik impedance adaptor, but adjust the volume using the Genelec GLM volume control. It works great like that :)

officialsm

With the SGD1, is the SPDIF digital out fixed volume or can it be adjusted using the volume knob/remote?

so i cannot use them as pre-amplifier connetced to power amplifier....
Correct?

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
The volume control works for the analog single ended (RCA) and the balanced XLR outputs (so can be connected direct to a power amplifier, or active speakers), but not the SPDIF digital output. No volume control on the digital output.

twofires

Quick question: I notice that with a different Soncoz product it wasn't recommended to use both analogue RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously. Is that also the case for the SGD1? I was intending to use XLR out to a power amp and RCA out to a subwoofer.

Ben1987

Audio Company
Quick question: I notice that with a different Soncoz product it wasn't recommended to use both analogue RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously. Is that also the case for the SGD1? I was intending to use XLR out to a power amp and RCA out to a subwoofer.
XLR Balanced and RCA single-ended outputs can be used together.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
I noticed that there aren't any measurements for the SGD1 post IMD hump fix, so i sent my unit to Golden One for measurement and here are the results. These seem to correspond with those posted by Purr1n at https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...ncoz-sgd1-vs-geshelli-jnog.10955/#post-347268 . Seems like the IMD hump fix has resulted in worse SINAD performance.

SGD1SINAD.jpg
SGD1IMDHump.jpg

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
I noticed that there aren't any measurements for the SGD1 post IMD hump fix, so i sent my unit to Golden One for measurement and here are the results. These seem to correspond with those posted by Purr1n at https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...ncoz-sgd1-vs-geshelli-jnog.10955/#post-347268 . Seems like the IMD hump fix has resulted in worse SINAD performance.

View attachment 136157View attachment 136156
Do you know if yours is one of the very early ones where they had to manually re-solder in order to fix ESS IMD hump?

MBL'er

View attachment 136157View attachment 136156

It is not. I have pictures of the inside. Board says SGD1 V23 2019 12

If you carefully check circuit pics of the review units (you can refer to the Audio-Monkeys site) and of the commercially available units, you would spot some differences in power filtering caps. Maybe that would contribute to explain Sinad differences (btw, what is Sinad of the post hump fix sample ?).

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
If you carefully check circuit pics of the review units (you can refer to the Audio-Monkeys site) and of the commercially available units, you would spot some differences in power filtering caps. Maybe that would contribute to explain Sinad differences (btw, what is Sinad of the post hump fix sample ?).

Caps are 220, 2200, 2200, like in the post fix circuit diagram.

MBL'er

Last edited:

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Ok thank you. Was wondering if the fix really made the sinad worse in both dacs....
Dont think it did with the QXD1. The ones measured by Wolf and Amir didn't have the hump when they first measured it and still had 115dB sinad. So unless they were golden samples, this is just an issue with the SGD1.

MBL'er

It's for sample testing.

The mass production is ELNA, and the performance and price of this ELNA are higher than that of Nichicon before.

I am not making any questions on caps‘ price / performance, even though 6800uF is 2.1x 3300uF, but pointing out some layout differences that could maybe explain why the SGD1 review sample measured performance is much better than a random commercial samples. Of course on top of the elimination of the “hump”.

You might have noticed that guys at SBAF tested a commercial sample and their numbers differs compared to ASR, also in qualitative terms (like a distortion spike at 800Hz).

Even though I could not audition an SGD1 review sample, I believe such differences are well below audibility. But I am anyway curious about causes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom