• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

hyperknot

+1 for having a dedicated power-off / standby button on the remote. It has so many buttons, I'd be happy to give up one of them for a power-off behaviour.

nspp

Leave the unit in a mute state (with the illuminated ring around volume knob flashing) for about 10 minutes, after which it goes into standby until reactivated by a further press on the mute button… in theory ;)
The theory was good ! (at least with my firmware version) Yes this is working as you said, even long press on mute seems to reset or restart the unit.
@Ben1987
The question is to have immediate standby. Waiting 10 minutes is useless in my case, it is just an energy saver stuff which i do not care.
A firmware modification like fast doulbe click on mute to turn the light off/on and long press on mute to standby would be great.
To reset change button like long press on AES or anything execpt mute and vol+.
And then document all in a manual or in firmware version history file...

Last edited:

MBL'er

If you don't mind me asking, what's the benefit of stand-by ?

I made my SGD1 go to stand-by by mute+wait. Now the display is off but the chassis is warm - which I prefer as to avoid warm up time. What exactly is going to stand-by ?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What exactly is going to stand-by ?
Only @Ben1987 can tell you exactly what happens when the unit drops into standby, but I assure you, there is no significant…
…warm up time.
Press the mute button and everything is ready within seconds. Do not believe the junk you read on the ’net about “warm up”.

nspp

If you don't mind me asking, what's the hurry?
I do not care about energy saving option. But i want to turn off or standby to not have any light. I'm listening in my bedroom and want to be able to switch off/stand by from front panel or remote. I do not want to drill an put a front switch for now......

Labjr

Major Contributor
I think many will choose the D30 Pro over this because you don't have to decode blinking lights.

EMMA

And ?
Mute only mute and goes in standby 10 minutes after... I do not want to wait !
If you don’t want to wait, you can only press the switch button on the back of the machine.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

nspp

If you don’t want to wait, you can only press the switch button on the back of the machine.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

This is so funny, as it is the actual gymnastic i do ! This is what is more and more upsetting me for daily use.
Having a switch inside a cabinet near electric cable/plugs is just a non sense for me !

Ben1987

Audio Company
AES input works for me using pi2AES board on piCore Player up to 192Khz. (Sound seems to be ritcher than normal USB)
Is that true?I can't tell the difference between the interfaces for the same 192kHz music file.I'll go and hear some more.
I do not care about energy saving option. But i want to turn off or standby to not have any light. I'm listening in my bedroom and want to be able to switch off/stand by from front panel or remote. I do not want to drill an put a front switch for now......
And ?
Mute only mute and goes in standby 10 minutes after... I do not want to wait !
Ten minutes into standby seems like a long time, and I'll consider updating the software.

nspp

Is that true?I can't tell the difference between the interfaces for the same 192kHz music file.I'll go and hear some more.
Pie2Aes board is also doing a good job. I have tested BNC and AES with DACs that accept it and all sound better than with PC with spdif on cinch.

Ten minutes into standby seems like a long time, and I'll consider updating the software.
Many thanks, I will wait before dismantling it and put a toggle switch on the front !
@Ben1987 Add a function for immediate standby and not reduce wait time if you can !

jmvdv

Hi @Ben1987 ,

I’ve changed my setup and am now using my SGD1 as a preamp before a Hypex 252MP. Love the sound!

But got a few issues with volume control:

USB volume control is seperate from the knob (actually two volume controls on the device). Would be great if you could control the normal volume of the pre amp via USB (so i can control the volume via Roon or iMac).

The lowest volume setting is pretty hard still. Is it possible to adjust the volume so i can listen to music on a lower level?

Thanks again for a great product!

Daimonos

I'll see if the problem can be repeated.As you said, it should be a software problem.

Hey. Any update on this issue? My unit is still coming out of stand-by every so often.

Btw, opened my device out of curiosity. Seems that I indeed have an early unit, there is no IMD fix, not even hand-soldered one.

There probably aren't too many of these in the wild anymore? :)

hyperknot

Seems that I indeed have an early unit, there is no IMD fix, not even hand-soldered one.

How do you see that there is no IMD fix by opening the unit? The production boards don't need anything fixing, they are a revised design.
I think the only way to test it is to run an actual IMD measurement.

Top Bottom