• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

rlal

Ben1987 can you please help me in solving my issue using AES cable?

Basically I have difficulty in playing when I use AES cable from pi2aes streamer to SGD1. Dac works properly when I switch to coax in remote.
Both coax and AES cable are connected between pi2aes and SGD1.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Rlal

MBL'er

Question for @Ben1987.

I am having a hard time in detecting differences in the SGD1 filters. In a tuning session with a friend, he suggested to use Bric and I agreed, not having any better idea.

I looked up for any documentation on the ESS9038Q2M chip but could not find anything useful. One dac I don't remember using the same chip had some kind of information in the documentation (like: this for voices, that for classical, ...), however not applicable to the SGD1.

Would you be so kind to share some of the ideas you had in mind when you decided on the selectable filters ?

I would greatly appreciate, and would not be the only one.

I use the SGD1 as a dac, connected to a MBL pre-amp through a line unbalanced input, where MBL installed a "custom card" for digital sources (actually a card with 2 resistances probably to smooth high frequencies and 2 capacitors, which is connected to the main board by means of 5 wires).

I thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Best regards,

Mauro

nspp

Question for @Ben1987.

I am having a hard time in detecting differences in the SGD1 filters. In a tuning session with a friend, he suggested to use Bric and I agreed, not having any better idea.

I looked up for any documentation on the ESS9038Q2M chip but could not find anything useful. One dac I don't remember using the same chip had some kind of information in the documentation (like: this for voices, that for classical, ...), however not applicable to the SGD1.

Would you be so kind to share some of the ideas you had in mind when you decided on the selectable filters ?

I would greatly appreciate, and would not be the only one.

I use the SGD1 as a dac, connected to a MBL pre-amp through a line unbalanced input, where MBL installed a "custom card" for digital sources (actually a card with 2 resistances probably to smooth high frequencies and 2 capacitors, which is connected to the main board by means of 5 wires).

I thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Best regards,

Mauro
I'm not Ben ;)
On SGD1, you only have the standard filters built by ESS applied on PCM, for DSD you only have default cut off. No fancy stuff and as said by @Veri it is very hard to hear differences.

You can get full datasheet here .
The 7 FIR filters.

3’b100: apodizing fast roll off filter (default APOD)
3’b111: brick wall filter (BRIC)
3’b010: minimum phase fast roll off filter (FAM)
3’b000: linear phase fast roll off filter (FAL)
3’b110: corrected/hybrid minimum phase fast roll off filter (HYPER)
3’b011: minimum phase slow roll off filter (SLM)
3’b001: linear phase slow roll off filter (SLL)

on DSD only default 47kHz cutoff filter...

For some info Achimago blog, or search for ess short info with sound guidance.

// edited to match SGD1 names/order
// Edited 2

Link to ESS pre tuned reconstruction filters and sound guidance.

Last edited:

hyperknot

Question for @Ben1987.I am having a hard time in detecting differences in the SGD1 filters.

Also, if your device/software resamples the audio to a higher sample rate, like 96 or 192 kHz, those filters won't do anything in the audible spectrum. Same if you are playing HD material.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

Valvola

USB spec says 5m maximum for the type B socket unless you use an active cable. You can use powered hubs in between 5m cables to go further.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Cabling
https://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html
Thank you, I know of the USB specs, I connected a 2 meter usb cable with no problems but using a 5 meter cable with or without a USB hub I randomly heare clicks and loose signal for aboutone second 1. I tried 3 different USB cables with the same problems. Any suggestion please?

adrianblakey

Any ideas why I can neither connect to bluetooth from my iPhone (iOS 14.3) to play or update the WiFI, nor get it to use the default hotspot?

I have had this lovely device for several months, when I got it I paired it to WiFI and used the app to successfully configure it. I recently moved and need to pair it again. Both my 2 iPhones do not see the bluetooth name - my Mac laptop does - "SONCOZ-SGD1" and plays over it.

I pressed the front button for 6 secs for the reset, set my phone to be an ANIG access point (12345678) turned it off and on - no message on the phone to show it's connected to the hotspot during its initialization. Does the 6sec reset, initialize the stored WiFi config?

MBL'er

I'm not Ben ;)
On SGD1, you only have the standard filters built by ESS applied on PCM, for DSD you only have default cut off. No fancy stuff and as said by @Veri it is very hard to hear differences.

You can get full datasheet here .
The 7 FIR filters.

3’b100: apodizing fast roll off filter (default APOD)
3’b111: brick wall filter (BRIC)
3’b010: minimum phase fast roll off filter (FAM)
3’b000: linear phase fast roll off filter (FAL)
3’b110: corrected/hybrid minimum phase fast roll off filter (HYPER)
3’b011: minimum phase slow roll off filter (SLM)
3’b001: linear phase slow roll off filter (SLL)

on DSD only default 47kHz cutoff filter...

For some info Achimago blog, or search for ess short info with sound guidance.

// edited to match SGD1 names/order
// Edited 2

Link to ESS pre tuned reconstruction filters and sound guidance.

Thanks for the detailed information.

M

MBL'er

Also, if your device/software resamples the audio to a higher sample rate, like 96 or 192 kHz, those filters won't do anything in the audible spectrum. Same if you are playing HD material.

Good. I mostly play hr / hd material.

Thanks and best regards,

M

Zaratustra#31

Hi all,
After long reading of this thread, I ordered and received mine yesterday from Amazon (Europe).
Box opening very pleasant.
Start-up and update process ran through (no update indeed).

But after connecting the DAC to my Yamaha CD player via coax link, no sound. Same with S/PFID connection. Both are working perfectly well with a much lower end Musical Fidelity V90 DAC (and digital entry on power amplifier's DAC as well). Same cables used all the time.

I connected my phone via Bluetooth and finally it starts singing.
Then tried with my old NAC C540 Player coax link (only) and it worked.
Final test with one of those cheap devices that works also between Yamaha CD player and Amplifier.

Conclusion my Yamaha CD-S700 and SDG1 are not able to talk to each other :rolleyes:

I configured the Soncoz with ESPTouchSmartConfig to connect via wifi (instead of hotspot) to get an update (in case of ) with same result : no update apparently.

I sent a mail to Soncoz (Sophia Ann) hopping to get some support because there is not so much I can do.

Z

Attachments

• cheap-DAC.png
    cheap-DAC.png
    445.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
Hi all,
After long reading of this thread, I ordered and received mine yesterday from Amazon (Europe).
Box opening very pleasant.
Start-up and update process ran through (no update indeed).

But after connecting the DAC to my Yamaha CD player via coax link, no sound. Same with S/PFID connection. Both are working perfectly well with a much lower end Musical Fidelity V90 DAC (and digital entry on power amplifier's DAC as well). Same cables used all the time.

I connected my phone via Bluetooth and finally it starts singing.
Then tried with my old NAC C540 Player coax link (only) and it worked.
Final test with one of those cheap devices that works also between Yamaha CD player and Amplifier.

Conclusion my Yamaha CD-S700 and SDG1 are not able to talk to each other :rolleyes:

I configured the Soncoz with ESPTouchSmartConfig to connect via wifi (instead of hotspot) to get an update (in case of ) with same result : no update apparently.

I sent a mail to Soncoz (Sophia Ann) hopping to get some support because there is not so much I can do.

Z
Hello, I will reply via email later.

MBL'er

Thanks to @nspp I was able to retrieve details and comments on the dac filters included in the SGD1. I added the filter name as displayed on the SGD1, and labelled "NO" a filter not present in the SGD1.

As per theoretical curve shape and "ringing", I am settling with either with SLL, FAL and BRIC - in order. But, to tell the truth, I believe that most of the differences I to hear are manufactured by my brain, also according to what I see and read in the descriptions. And there also some chance that music materials reacts differently to filters.

I excluded the filters which appear to have more post-ringing (FAM, HYPER) and SLM due to the post-ringing amplitude, even if it minimizes pre-ringing. But, actually I have no idea what "ringing" implies.

If someone has more insight on this topic, is much welcome to correct, bash or integrate my elementary thoughts.

M

filter.jpg

nspp

Yeah that has been my experience, too.
With Sabre DAC i only perceive differnce when using compressed mp3 where minimum phase slow seems to be more tolerant. But If you use uncompressed material above 96Khz I'm pretty sure that you will not notice any differences on SGD1. In Theory Linear phase should be more dynamic, minimum slow less precise.

Veri

Master Contributor
With Sabre DAC i only perceive differnce when using compressed mp3 where minimum phase slow seems to be more tolerant. But If you use uncompressed material above 96Khz I'm pretty sure that you will not notice any differences on SGD1.
I usually pick the SD / minimum phase variants. Lowest delay for what it's worth, and sounds fine to me :p

HCT-5808

I'm looking on the website and I see mention of Bluetooth 5.0 input. Does that include LDAC support?

Top Bottom