• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

James. B. Lansing

Forum Donor
Dealer
* Warning Subjective Commentary:
I spent some time with this DAC over the past week and I must say It is really impressive. Pairing it with an A90, Little Dot MKVIII
and Auralic Merak mono blocks it excels and I am finding it more dynamic, detailed and enjoyable than several other DACS in its class and above, falling short of Saber-X Pro. For anyone considering this DAC, but who is not quite sure on it I can certainly assure you it is very decent.

sinski

Yesterday my SGD1 arrived. I am very, very impressed. Incredible sound and build quality for the price. Just phantastic. In the last 30 years i had so many DACs, some really expensive high end gear and i have a big good hifi system. This DAC is just incredible. I am using PI4 with picoreplayer connected with usb to sgd1. High end streamer for peanuts. Very natural, warm, dynamic, powerfull sound.

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
Yesterday my SGD1 arrived. I am very, very impressed. Incredible sound and build quality for the price. Just phantastic. In the last 30 years i had so many DACs, some really expensive high end gear and i have a big good hifi system. This DAC is just incredible. I am using PI4 with picoreplayer connected with usb to sgd1. High end streamer for peanuts. Very natural, warm, dynamic, powerfull sound.
Tomek, your satisfaction is our SONCOZ greatest motivator :p. From LA-QXD1 to SGD1, your attitude is always so positive and approving on our products. Really touched by your support.

nspp

@Sophia Ann & @Ben1987
I'm still enjoying a lot SGD1 with picoreplayer (usb C) and daphile (usb B) or even with hibymusic from my phone (usb C).
Do you have any plan for a newer firmware adding some direct update capabilities, show version (blinking led method), completely turn off BT, Wiffi...

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
@Sophia Ann & @Ben1987
I'm still enjoying a lot SGD1 with picoreplayer (usb C) and daphile (usb B) or even with hibymusic from my phone (usb C).
Do you have any plan for a newer firmware adding some direct update capabilities, show version (blinking led method), completely turn off BT, Wiffi...
Ok, Ben will notice your appeal :D

Valvola

A good friend of mine just recieved the DAC and I must say that it is really great!
Please, I have a question: the analogue output is DC coupled or AC coupled with an output capacitor?
Thank you
Valvola

111a111sk

I bought the Soncoz SGD1, I'm comparing it to Topping D10, through Topping A90 and Sennheiser HD800 (which I know well after 5 years). Volume matched, simply toggling the input on A90. And the DACs are absolutely indistinguishable in every possible scenario. No difference anywhere, bass, impact, decay, soundstage, imaging, timbre, vocals, nothing. All genres, albums, recording resolution, loudness, calm or busy passages, acoustic instruments or electronic.
Is my hearing just not good enough, or not trained enough, or the human hearing in general, or the headphones are the limit?

It can be returned so no wories there

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I bought the Soncoz SGD1, I'm comparing it to Topping D10, through Topping A90 and Sennheiser HD800 (which I know well after 5 years). Volume matched, simply toggling the input on A90. And the DACs are absolutely indistinguishable in every possible scenario. No difference anywhere, bass, impact, decay, soundstage, imaging, timbre, vocals, nothing. All genres, albums, recording resolution, loudness, calm or busy passages, acoustic instruments or electronic.
Is my hearing just not good enough, or not trained enough, or the human hearing in general, or the headphones are the limit?

See the thread on audibility thresholds - the D10 is already pretty good, so it's quite possible you wouldn't hear a difference between DACs in a volume matched blind test. Once you hit that performance level you're mostly paying extra for features like balanced output, more inputs etc. and for cosmetics like a nicer case and connectors, not for anything audible.

nspp

What is your source ?
Have you a modded HD800 ? or HD800s ?
I personally think that A90 is overpriced and not at same level than D90...
If it is to listen online content from your laptop or compressed files you do not need more than D10 and THX789 !

If you want to use balanced amplifier with balanced output, you need a balanced dac but you need to use uncompressed file format to have at least audible result. Soncoz SGD1 is really an awesome implementation which will for sure do not introduce any coloration nor old ESS hiss. Let say that it can pair with almost any amp and it will not be the drawback.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I personally think that A90 is overpriced and not at same level than D90...
I disagree really. I think the engineering behind A90 is more special and innovative. + I think it sounds great :D

111a111sk

What is your source ?
Majority is CD flacs, but good part is higher res up to 192kHz 24b
Have you a modded HD800 ? or HD800s ?
stock HD800

And a few months ago changing from Valhalla 2 to A90, the improvements were quite easy to hear in every aspect pretty much. I like to have the sources absolutely neutral and transparent. So it's actually a satisfying explanation that approaching the perfect measured performance also means removing audible differences/characteristics or whatever the f*** reviewers are talking about.

MBL'er

Today, thanks to the patience and ears of my friend @Valvola, my system has been tuned and optimized to the max. Components’ phase, cables (I have many different types), preamp input (my MBL has a custom line input for ”digital sources”), speakers positioning, @Valvola meticulously tuned all of that. And, finally, he selected SGD1’s best filter for the set-up. For me, all these activities would have been too stressful to be done by myself alone.

The SGD1 is proving itself as a surprisingly fine dac, beating some strong competition I prefer not to mention.

Next potential step, going forward, is to investigate ways to upgrade some internal components of the SGD1 to improve current flow and delivery. But that is just an idea, as right now my “digitized” system sounds effortlessly musical, with compelling stage, depth, imaging and all the things that contribute to convey emotions out of music.

Pipeline: Macbook Pro > Audirvana > Soncoz usb cable > Soncoz SGD1 > Yamamura Millennium rca > MBL pre > Mogami xlr > MBL amp > Dynavox cables > Dynaudio speakers. CD player and 2000 cd’s retired after a long and successful career.

Last edited:

zanzibar

Today, thanks to the patience and ears of my friend @Valvola, my system has been tuned and optimized to the max. Components’ phase, cables (I have many different types), preamp input (my MBL has a custom line input for ”digital sources”), speakers positioning, @Valvola meticulously tuned all of that. And, finally, he selected SGD1’s best filter for the set-up. For me, all these activities would have been too stressful to be done by myself alone.

The SGD1 is proving itself as a surprisingly fine dac, beating some strong competition I prefer not to mention.

Prefer you to mention. You're allowed a POV.

Also, did you use as a preamp in your listening? Thanks.

MBL'er

Prefer you to mention. You're allowed a POV.

Also, did you use as a preamp in your listening? Thanks.

I use the SGD1 as a pure dac, feeding the pre-amp through line input.

As per comparisons, I do not like to make friends defensive about their tastes and purchases. I can say that the SGD1 sounds better than my Meridian player (less grain, more controlled bass, even though the Meridian has a "grander" presentation) and much better than a British well regarded dac I happen to own. I also made comparisons with other expensive sources and - with some give-and-takes as good dac's contribute subtly - I found the SGD1 less "willing to please" an dynamically more balanced.

Considering how relatively inexpensive the SGD1 is, and how well it performed against electronics cumulatively far exceeding 30 times its price, the Soncoz so far has been a won bet.

zanzibar

I use the SGD1 as a pure dac, feeding the pre-amp through line input.

As per comparisons, I do not like to make friends defensive about their tastes and purchases. I can say that the SGD1 sounds better than my Meridian player (less grain, more controlled bass, even though the Meridian has a "grander" presentation) and much better than a British well regarded dac I happen to own. I also made comparisons with other expensive sources and - with some give-and-takes as good dac's contribute subtly - I found the SGD1 less "willing to please" an dynamically more balanced.

Considering how relatively inexpensive the SGD1 is, and how well it performed against electronics cumulatively far exceeding 30 times its price, the Soncoz so far has been a won bet.

Thank you for your detailed experience as it really struck a chord with me. I do recall Meredian, a good company with a high end reputation and price tag to match. System synergy does play a role. Kind thanks for sharing.

rlal

Hi all,

I got SGD1 and I was playing using RCA output till now. I use sonic transporter as roon core and my roon endpoint is pi2aes.
I got a digital AES/EBU cable from Benchmark and I connected to Dac and pi2aes and tried to play but unfortunately no sound is coming when I
switched to AES on Dac :(. I also increased the volume on Dac to maximum using remote. When I switch to RCA I can hear music.
I am not sure what is the issue.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion to rectify this issue.

Thanks
Rlal

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Just checking I understand the situation correctly as when I started reading I thought you were talking about RCA analog outs from the SGD1, then decided I'd got it wrong. You're using the pi2aes as a digital source, and swapping between spdif coax and AES digital interconnects to the SGD1. The coax works but the AES doesn't, for reasons to be determined. Have I got it right? I probably can't help, but it might save someone else from my misunderstanding.

rlal

Your understanding is correct. Basically I am using pi2aes as a Roon endpoint. From my Roon core I use an ethernet cable to pi2aes.
I used RCA term because in SGD1 they use RCA in remote for coax connection. Now I used an AES cable from pi2aes to SGD1 and switched to AES input on Dac and I cannot hear sound. Sorry for not being very clear. I am using Ropieee as software instead of Volumio.

Basically would like to use AES cable over coax cable.

Thanks
Rlal

Last edited:
Top Bottom