• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

hyperknot

Hello all,

Thank you for this great thread.
It convinced me to buy an SGD1. Which I received a few days ago.

I use it between a RaspberryPi 4 and my old hi-fi amplifier.
The RPi outputs the audio via USB (with Volumio) so I use the USB input of the SGD1.
It works perfectly.

However I wonder if using the AES input would be even better?
For this, it is possible to add a HAT card with a XLR connector on the RasberryPi, to provide this AES output.
Would this bring a gain in quality compared to USB?

Thanks for your good advice :)

I'm using the same setup. How could it be "better"? Check the Jitter test, USB is perfect on SGD1.

On the other hand, you can spend weeks "tuning" this system, buying additional hardware, new cables, etc. and end up with a system which probably won't even reach the USB's jitter performance.

Reactions: EdW

wopr

I'm using the same setup. How could it be "better"? Check the Jitter test, USB is perfect on SGD1.

On the other hand, you can spend weeks "tuning" this system, buying additional hardware, new cables, etc. and end up with a system which probably won't even reach the USB's jitter performance.
ok
thank you for confirmation.
now I am sure :)

Zeeb

I’m driving my SGD1 with a pair of KRK VXT6 Powered Studio Monitors via XLR and it works perfectly. The Monitors have a master volume control but I leave it at the default setting.
Those speakers look similar power to my Genelec 8030s but with bigger woofers. Yes it turned out the SGD1 can go much louder than I would ever need. I turned my speakers down to minimum gain and then turned the left one up to balance them for my room as instructed.

hyperknot

Those speakers look similar power to my Genelec 8030s but with bigger woofers. Yes it turned out the SGD1 can go much louder than I would ever need. I turned my speakers down to minimum gain and then turned the left one up to balance them for my room as instructed.

Be careful, analogue volume pots have bad performance in their first 30%. Better not leave it lower than 50% and lower the DAC's volume instead.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Be careful, analogue volume pots have bad performance in their first 30%. Better not leave it lower than 50% and lower the DAC's volume instead.
That usually relates to channel matching in ganged pots. I don't know how Genelec have implemented it but there's a good chance they aren't using a ganged pot.

HionHiFi

Be careful setting your speakers volume to minimum gain. You need sufficient gain to drive the SGD1. You’ll want to avoid early onset of distortion. You’d probably want to start at the default settings for the speaker. It is +6 on my VXT6’s.

AA963EC3-A1ED-4B31-BD73-E998CF24A7AD.jpeg

Last edited:

Zeeb

Be careful, analogue volume pots have bad performance in their first 30%.
That usually relates to channel matching in ganged pots. I don't know how Genelec have implemented it but there's a good chance they aren't using a ganged pot.
You need sufficient gain to drive the SGD1. You’ll want to avoid early onset of distortion. You’d probably want to start at the default settings for the speaker. It is +6 on my VXT6’s.
Thanks, yes it's not a volume pot but a sensitivity gain range pot from -6 to +6 dBu, "INPUT dBu PRODUCING 100 dB SPL (1m)"

I don't know what that means, but I assumed it was a small range that Genelec designed to be used with inaudible loss?

Technically I thought it would be better to start at max sensitivity and balance down, but it's so loud that I started at min and balanced up.

Hoinar

Hi.
Does anyone know if this year's LDAC bluetooth update is coming?

Zeeb

Is it bad for the DAC if I short the analogue RCA output signals to ground?

I often switch the input to my secondary powered speakers - plugging and unplugging a 3.5mm adapter plug that is connected to the Soncoz DAC's RCA outs.
This probably briefly shorts the contacts in the 3.5mm plug.

I turn the speakers off before I do this (and mute the DAC), but should I really turn off the DAC as well? I don't really want to be switching the DAC off and on a lot. I could add a switch box but would prefer not to unless it will help protect the DAC.

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
Hi,
Please pardon my broken english because of croissant and pain au chocolat

I'm looking for a DAC and this one fit the bill for these reasons:
- no screen with an excessive quantity of informations, I really love the layout
- very good measurements
- XLR and RCA outputs
- inside power supply
- tons of inputs: futur proof

I have some questions about it:
- is it possible to output both RCA and XLR with different level? (RCA for headphone amplifier, XLR for actives speakers)
- does this unit has a auto-standby and auto-on functionality for when there is any audio signal?
- if I turn off the DAC, do all current parameters are saved?

I own a Sonos Port which has a trigger 12v output.
I have bought a trigger box from Audiophonics in order to automatically turn on/off my actives speakers.

I would like to connect the DAC to the same power strip than actives speakers meaning that it will be automatically turn on/off. So it has to automatically turn on (no standby mode) when powered with the last parameters.

Thank you for the reply.
Do you have any informations about the futur headphone amplifier?

loprent1

Just got my SGD1 DAC and am very happy with it :)

I have three questions:

1. Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the volume with USB Type C input from a computer? My desk is weirdly set-up such that my secondary non-speaker facing use case means the remote won't work around the corner.

2. Any news on the Apple Remote Update?

3. Using the Apple Usb Type C white power cable doesn't seem to work... What would be a longer alternative and does the gold plated connectors matter?

Hoping someone can help :)

EMMA

is it possible to output both RCA and XLR with different level? (RCA for headphone amplifier, XLR for actives speakers)
Yes, but it is not recommended to use at the same time.
does this unit has a auto-standby and auto-on functionality for when there is any audio signal?
No, only when you mute SGD1, it will go to sleep after ten minutes, and then any operation can wake it up.
if I turn off the DAC, do all current parameters are saved?
Yes.

EMMA

Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the volume with USB Type C input from a computer
After adjusting the input mode to USB-C, you can use the knob on SGD1 or the remote control to adjust the volume.
My desk is weirdly set-up such that my secondary non-speaker facing use case means the remote won't work around the corner.
The infrared signal receiving window is on the front panel of SGD1, which is relatively small. If there is a corner, the signal cannot be received normally.
2. Any news on the Apple Remote Update?
Not yet.
Using the Apple Usb Type C white power cable doesn't seem to work... What would be a longer alternative and does the gold plated connectors matter?
Are USB-B and USB-C connected at the same time? If they are connected to a device at the same time, the default is USB-B input.

Zeeb

Yes, but it is not recommended to use [both XLR and RCA] at the same time.

I think this was an old recommendation for a prototype? I think now it is fine to use both simultaneously? (but RCA is half voltage so lower volume).

when you mute SGD1, it will go to sleep after ten minutes, and then any operation can wake it up.

To be clear, any DAC unit operation will wake it up, but an audio signal will not, for my set-up at least.

loprent1

After adjusting the input mode to USB-C, you can use the knob on SGD1 or the remote control to adjust the volume.

Are USB-B and USB-C connected at the same time? If they are connected to a device at the same time, the default is USB-B input.
Nope, only one. Weird right?

Are there any mobile apps available that could control volume from a phone?

svenz

Is this available in the UK or anywhere in EU? Or do I need to order from aliexpress (would prefer not to in case of any problems).

Top Bottom