• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

EMMA

thank you Ben, the upgrade guide is right what I was referring to: nothing in EspTouch for iOS (iPhone) looks as in there
and, sorry, I still don't get what the flashing light means :-/ (had to turn SGD1 off then on again to restore normal leds status)
I just downloaded the Esptouch APP on my iPhone . 0730-1.png0730-2.png0730-3.png

Last edited:

EMMA

yes: that's the only one which seems to work
let me know, please, how setting things up goes
Enter your WIFI password on the APP (On the third chart ),then you need to turn SGD1 on, double-click the button three times in a row, SGD1 enters the network configuration mode, at this time all the LED indicators on the front panel light up. At this time you just have to wait for SGD1 to connect and upgrade. After upgrading SGD1 will automatically restart and then go back to the default state .

pl_svn

After upgrading SGD1 will automatically restart and then go back to the default state

mine, instead, did not restart: "volume light" started flashing and kept doing it for a few minutes (... 5?) then all leds turned off :confused:
(music was still playing though)

EMMA

mine, instead, did not restart: "volume light" started flashing and kept doing it for a few minutes (... 5?) then all leds turned off :confused:
(music was still playing though)
Don't worry, your device has been upgraded to the latest version. This may be a problem of repeated upgrades. Please press and hold the knob for more than 6 seconds to reset the system, and then check whether it works normally.

pl_svn

ok, thanks :)

did not perform a reset: all LEDs went back to normal status after power cycling my SGD1

EMMA

ok, thanks :)

did not perform a reset: all LEDs went back to normal status after power cycling my SGD1
According to your description, this is abnormal. The program may have been scrambled , so I suggest you reset the device.

pl_svn

According to your description, this is abnormal. The program may have been scrambled , so I suggest you reset the device.

performed a reset then tried OTA setup from scratch and... same behaviour as yesterday: EspTouch connects to my wifi network, after about 20 seconds SGD1's MAC address shows up, I tap "OK" and... volume light starts flashing, no reboot :(

pl_svn

wait... you are entering "Soncoz_5G" as network's SSID
I thought my Wi-Fi network's SSID goes in there :confused:

EMMA

performed a reset then tried OTA setup from scratch and... same behaviour as yesterday: EspTouch connects to my wifi network, after about 20 seconds SGD1's MAC address shows up, I tap "OK" and... volume light starts flashing, no reboot :(
There is no need to upgrade after resetting the system. Your system is already the latest version, so just use it normally.
wait... you are entering "Soncoz_5G" as network's SSID
I thought my Wi-Fi network's SSID goes in there :confused:
That's my network, and your network will be displayed on your phone.

pl_svn

There is no need to upgrade after resetting the system. Your system is already the latest version, so just use it normally

wait... I thought OTA setup via EspTouch was permanent so, afterwards, SGD1 will auto-connect to my wi-fi network at startup :confused:

EMMA

wait... I thought OTA setup via EspTouch was permanent so, afterwards, SGD1 will auto-connect to my wi-fi network at startup :confused:
Yes, it will. Your operation has been successfully equipped with the network, but there is no new version to upgrade. If there is a new version in the future, SGD1 will automatically upgrade the network when it is turned on.

Hi all,

Fresh owner (and a happy user) of SGD-1, here.

Came directly from Soncoz (many thanks for a very professional help @Sophia Ann) and the jewel is up and running.

The card-box is not that glossy and shiny as LA-QXd1, but couldn't care less about this aspect, as long as it is well protected in transit (with cut-foam blisters).

The content is as good as it gets, nothing glamorous, but perfectly functional and fine-quality. I am happy that the remote isn't powered buy a button-cell CR2032 or CR 2016 or anything else, but a straight AAA x 2 (not included).

It works fine and the VOL +/- and MUTE are a bliss and handy.

The unit itself is very well made, while the shell is not so thick as you would expect and the VENTILATION pattern looks cool and (most important) cools down the unit as the general working temperature is very low and is barely mild warm which calls for a perfectly-normal state.

The software updates FEATURE is a bliss, giving further credit to @Ben1987 and his team to push all goodies regularly (you just have to set the correct hotspot, as instructed, or to permanently set the wifi local ssid and passw as you do with any other appliance, using the referred app)

Very interesting filters of your choice (FAL and BRIC are my fav, just by the technical graph, not by the ear as I can barely tell any nuance at moderate output volume)

Switching between inputs, I have discovered that a handy feature consists in operating a short FADE-in of volume at switching inputs, IN ORDER to give a smooth and gentle transition between inputs.

And wait, is more: every input is set to its latest volume and when you return to a desired input the volume is set as it was before you switch to another input.

As for the operating manual it is not included, but is very easy accessible online at Soncoz webpage and very useful. While at it, here it comes my first suggestion @Ben1987 (I might have useful suggestions regarding the English version of it, if you can provide me an editable, with track changes, version, and I will return it to you suggestion filled)

AS for the sound, it is the most well balanced, neutral and instrument-tonally-correct DAC I have ever heard in its price range (although I am not the super-daddy of DACs testing, my own experience in DACs ear-testing is kinda limited, but this one is the least distorted one, the truest-to-tone one, while it is NOT laid back or shy, don't get me wrong)

I use it as a preamp to feed active speakers (RCA-out) and power amp (XLR-out) and for those who wonder about its analog-output simultaneity, I can tell you, hands down, that both outputs work simultaneously with no hassle.

The coax-OUT is another thing that is well designed as a feature, allowing you forward the untouched signal to another DAC, let's say.

The lit-screen is functional and warm to the vision, but here is one caveat: is is not an OLED or lcd display and unfortnately you cant tell some INFO about the file type you are playing or the sampling rate - here it comes my second suggestion to @Ben1987 regarding some volume-led-blinking or inpput blinking related to some thresholds of the sampling rate (as in, lets say, 2 short blinks for PCM 16/44.1 khz file and below; 3 short blinks for 16/88 or 96, 4 short for 24/192 and so on and so forth), it would be useful and discrete also.

The 3rd suggestion to @Ben1987 could be related to a SLEEP or STAND-BY mode (assignable to FILTER remote button, If you'd like) that could, maybe, be implemented (as i use it as a preamp). Maybe it would be nice to long-press that remote unused button to stand-by and short press to incremental sleep timer assign, let's say.

All in all, looks professional, it behaves very well, sounds amazing and incredibly spatial/wide (soundstage-wise) and with an unbelievable timbral accuracy

Hope it will beat its competition and may use the IMD hump issue in order to relaunch a very nice battle between engineers and brands to offer great value for money to us, users.

Give it a try as the young company and talented people there do worth it (I was astonished and convinced by the attention to the user-voice - attention of @Ben1987 and his team - and the hard and rapid work to address some issues)

Cheers

Sorin

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
Hi all,

Fresh owner (and a happy user) of SGD-1, here.

Came directly from Soncoz (many thanks for a very professional help @Sophia Ann) and the jewel is up and running.

The card-box is not that glossy and shiny as LA-QXd1, but couldn't care less about this aspect, as long as it is well protected in transit (with cut-foam blisters).

The content is as good as it gets, nothing glamorous, but perfectly functional and fine-quality. I am happy that the remote isn't powered buy a button-cell CR2032 or CR 2016 or anything else, but a straight AAA x 2 (not included).

It works fine and the VOL +/- and MUTE are a bliss and handy.

The unit itself is very well made, while the shell is not so thick as you would expect and the VENTILATION pattern looks cool and (most important) cools down the unit as the general working temperature is very low and is barely mild warm which calls for a perfectly-normal state.

The software updates FEATURE is a bliss, giving further credit to @Ben1987 and his team to push all goodies regularly (you just have to set the correct hotspot, as instructed, or to permanently set the wifi local ssid and passw as you do with any other appliance, using the referred app)

Very interesting filters of your choice (FAL and BRIC are my fav, just by the technical graph, not by the ear as I can barely tell any nuance at moderate output volume)

Switching between inputs, I have discovered that a handy feature consists in operating a short FADE-in of volume at switching inputs, IN ORDER to give a smooth and gentle transition between inputs.

And wait, is more: every input is set to its latest volume and when you return to a desired input the volume is set as it was before you switch to another input.

As for the operating manual it is not included, but is very easy accessible online at Soncoz webpage and very useful. While at it, here it comes my first suggestion @Ben1987 (I might have useful suggestions regarding the English version of it, if you can provide me an editable, with track changes, version, and I will return it to you suggestion filled)

AS for the sound, it is the most well balanced, neutral and instrument-tonally-correct DAC I have ever heard in its price range (although I am not the super-daddy of DACs testing, my own experience in DACs ear-testing is kinda limited, but this one is the least distorted one, the truest-to-tone one, while it is NOT laid back or shy, don't get me wrong)

I use it as a preamp to feed active speakers (RCA-out) and power amp (XLR-out) and for those who wonder about its analog-output simultaneity, I can tell you, hands down, that both outputs work simultaneously with no hassle.

The coax-OUT is another thing that is well designed as a feature, allowing you forward the untouched signal to another DAC, let's say.

The lit-screen is functional and warm to the vision, but here is one caveat: is is not an OLED or lcd display and unfortnately you cant tell some INFO about the file type you are playing or the sampling rate - here it comes my second suggestion to @Ben1987 regarding some volume-led-blinking or inpput blinking related to some thresholds of the sampling rate (as in, lets say, 2 short blinks for PCM 16/44.1 khz file and below; 3 short blinks for 16/88 or 96, 4 short for 24/192 and so on and so forth), it would be useful and discrete also.

The 3rd suggestion to @Ben1987 could be related to a SLEEP or STAND-BY mode (assignable to FILTER remote button, If you'd like) that could, maybe, be implemented (as i use it as a preamp). Maybe it would be nice to long-press that remote unused button to stand-by and short press to incremental sleep timer assign, let's say.

All in all, looks professional, it behaves very well, sounds amazing and incredibly spatial/wide (soundstage-wise) and with an unbelievable timbral accuracy

Hope it will beat its competition and may use the IMD hump issue in order to relaunch a very nice battle between engineers and brands to offer great value for money to us, users.

Give it a try as the young company and talented people there do worth it (I was astonished and convinced by the attention to the user-voice - attention of @Ben1987 and his team - and the hard and rapid work to address some issues)

Cheers

Sorin
Thanks for your impressive comment and suggestions. Professional!

Morla

Forum Donor
Hi,

everytime SGD1 seems to be looking for Updates my monitor boxes emit a klicking sound like an old telephone using pulses to dial. It also happens during runtime after some hours and when I'm steaming bluetooth that bluetooth sound gets its volume lowered down even.

Is that supposed to be that way?

EMMA

Hi,

everytime SGD1 seems to be looking for Updates my monitor boxes emit a klicking sound like an old telephone using pulses to dial. It also happens during runtime after some hours and when I'm steaming bluetooth that bluetooth sound gets its volume lowered down even.

Is that supposed to be that way?
looking for an update?when?What is the status of the indicator LEDs?

Morla

Forum Donor
looking for an update?when?What is the status of the indicator LEDs?

Switching on device and immediately it starts the pulsing in the speakers. No flashing LEDs just the normal lights. Pulse starts and stops after maybe 4 or 5 sequences.

And it is only on the left channel

Top Bottom