• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am assuming offline firmware installations should be possible in the case of SGD1
It might* be possible as the underlying hardware is not vastly different from many other units that do permit the conventional method of updating but right now, as I understand it, the only available approach is the “live on-air” method.

* Ben is probably the only person who knows for sure

Morla

Forum Donor

nspp

The ifi zen blue can be updated using qualcomm's GAIA tool. Process described with screenshots:
https://ifi-audio.com/firmware/bluetooth-firmware/

I happen to own one and it was easy to flash using mobile phone and bt. Ifi zen blue is not using the same chip as sgd1 but it looks like a standard way to update since..

..GAIA is mentioned on the support pages of the Chip used in sgd1 CSR8675:
To me this is only the Bluetooth audio layer firmware and not the DAC.
You also have USB XMOS layer with a dedicated firmware and driver (Thesycon+dfu ).
Finally you have the DAC firmware updated using wifi + internet in sgd1.. For the device like this, the easiest way would be to have a minimal http server or even tftp which we could upload a bin file. This is the way works router and most connected device...

I the very few other audio device i have with firmware update, it is done using a tty console mode (serial or dedicated pin inside on the board) this gives you the ability to uses some command to control the device, get status, upload firmware.... (this is my prefered way but could be a bit complicated for some users)

In any case, it would be nice to be able to stop/restart update without creating a temporary wifi network (turned off after esptouch configuration). We do not have a firmware history with complete delta description on SonCoz website an not any external way to approve, reject, firmware update nor a way to know real status of your own device !

I would like to point the effort of Ben to be clear in explanation and one of the most transparent designer. Majority of device never get officialy updated and keeps bug forever once out of the factory. :cool: :thumbsup:

arithon

I would appreciate it if someone could share their experience of the Bluetooth input on the SGD1. Compared to the D90, it does not have an antenna. Any dropouts or reception issues?

Thanks!

Pluto

Forum Donor
I the very few other audio device i have with firmware update, it is done using a tty console mode (serial or dedicated pin inside on the board) this gives you the ability to uses some command to control the device, get status, upload firmware.... (this is my prefered way but could be a bit complicated for some users)
You can say that again!

The most satisfactory method for updating firmware is the approach used by Topping – user downloads the new firmware together with a utility to transfer same to unit. Firmware is updated via the same USB connection that computer uses to play audio. It's a bit more tricky if the user does not have access to a Windows computer, but they are ubiquitous.

Morla

Forum Donor
I just hope the online update is not tunneling a serial console accross the globe :)

Last edited:

nspp

You can say that again!

The most satisfactory method for updating firmware is the approach used by Topping – user downloads the new firmware together with a utility to transfer same to unit. Firmware is updated via the same USB connection that computer uses to play audio. It's a bit more tricky if the user does not have access to a Windows computer, but they are ubiquitous.
Topping is usually using dfu method.
This is the one we have applied to flash the input layer (ability to play DSD native/dop) "sgd1_dfu_0423.bin".

bahamot

SGD1 in the house :)
Have to say the Soncoz support (Ann) has been excellent so far, thanks Ann.
20200604_130237.jpg

Last edited:

firefuocco

I have had mine for a couple of days now. All good so far.

I have noticed one issue regarding Bluetooth that might catch some people out. I don't intend to use BT but was experimenting with it when I discovered Bluetooth will take priority over other inputs in the following scenario.
  • Pair Android with SGD1
  • Play music over BT to SGD1 via Spotify or Qobuz apps
  • Stop music
  • Connect Android to USB B, UAPP opens and connects with SGD1 (UAPP shows DAC initialise notification)
  • Select USB B input on SGD1
  • Play music from UAPP (everything appears normal but then you notice the sound is a little harsh & fatiguing).
  • Turn Bluetooth off on phone in case it is affecting sound quality and surprisingly the music stops!
This behaviour suggests that because the Android and SGD1 still have a paired BT connection the SGD1 continues to output the BT stream, even though USB B is selected. Possibly this is a difficult scenario (two sources one device) but I would hope or expect that if BT is not selected on the SGD1 it would not output the BT stream.

Pluto

Forum Donor
I have to add, having spent most of the past couple of days listening to this unit, that I am very taken with its sound. There are differences between it and my Topping D70; I just wish I had the interpretive skills to define and articulate them.

But whatever the differences, one thing is for sure. The DAC, as a concept, is a problem solved and this Soncoz device is brilliant value for the money.

firefuocco

I have to add, having spent most of the past couple of days listening to this unit, that I am very taken with its sound. There are differences between it and my Topping D70; I just wish I had the interpretive skills to define and articulate them.

But whatever the differences, one thing is for sure. The DAC, as a concept, is a problem solved and this Soncoz device is brilliant value for the money.
Have you found any filter preference? I am spending most of the time with the default Apodizing but also like Linear slow roll off.

Pluto

Forum Donor
I am very hard pressed to find consistent (and repeatable) differences between them.

firefuocco

I am very hard pressed to find consistent (and repeatable) differences between them.
To my ears and system limitations the differences are very subtle at best. I can tell the difference between the two I mention when I flick between them but with some of the other filters they sound identical. No issue as I am not that interested in the filters other than settling for the one I prefer and then I probably won't change unless a recording sounds harsh.

arithon

Ben, just a quick question. Can you use both outputs (XLR and RCA) to drive two different amplifiers at the same time? I am considering adding a subwoofer.
thanks!

nspp

Ben, just a quick question. Can you use both outputs (XLR and RCA) to drive two different amplifiers at the same time? I am considering adding a subwoofer.
thanks!
Yes you can use both output at the same time as you do not have any output selector. Volume will also be applied to both RCA/XLR.

Top Bottom