• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

DFU is for firmware update so you can ignore this, yes.
Thank you!

Do you use SGD1 also for windows playback sound ?
If yes you will have some issue as you will share ASIO in some sample rate and other driver mode wdm using resampling to 48Khz could lock and cause wrong sample rate setting in the device.

When i was using non dedicated computer for music i used asio driver only with music player and never used it as default playback driver even with other driver type.
I've been working from home over the past two months due to the pandemic, having to do audio meetings pretty much every day, so the Windows audio needs to work for me unfortunately. That said, this morning I went ahead and installed Asio4All and configured Foobar to output Asio directly to the SGD1. With this setup the Windows audio resampler still works with no cracking sounds. So far, the problem only occurs for me when using the Thesycon driver.

I guess for the time being I am going to stick with this setup as I need Windows audio to work correctly. When I get some more time I will probably tinker some more and see if I can pinpoint any other causes beyond something potentially wrong with the driver. In the meantime, I would still love to hear others' impressions of using the native vs Thesycon driver in a Windows/ASIO PC setup to get some additional feedback for anything I may have overlooked.

Not sure if it's related but the most recent windows 10 update broke audio devices drivers for many users by installing bugged "Nahimic mirroring device" driver.
Looking at the users complaining of the Nahimic update, they were complaining of no sound at all versus cracking sounds. In my case, I don't have any Nahimic drivers installed so it isn't related to my issue. A good call out just the same, thank you for that!

Last edited:

NCX

Can the pre-amp be easily enabled and disabled (quick button press or 1-2 menu changes) without powering the DAC on and off and special button presses like many others? This is an important feature for me since I want to connect an AMP with XLR and speakers with RCA.

nspp

Can the pre-amp be easily enabled and disabled (quick button press or 1-2 menu changes) without powering the DAC on and off and special button presses like many others? This is an important feature for me since I want to connect an AMP with XLR and speakers with RCA.
No !
Digital volume is always enabled and managed from the input signal. (Digital volume)l
XLR and RCA share same volume as it is done before output.
No memory to store defined output level even for the "0" nor precise information about volume level in db or % only an imprecise progress light around the knob.

Reactions: NCX

mt196

Hi @Ben1987, sorry if you already answered this, but is it normal than when I turn off the SGD1 the filter resets to Apodizing (default)?
By the way, do you suggest to keep the back switch always turned on and just mute the unit to make it enter standby mode when not used?

Ben1987

Audio Company
but is it normal than when I turn off the SGD1 the filter resets to Apodizing (default)?
SGD1 will remember the filtering mode you set last time when you shut down. If the last time was Apod, it will be turned on. If the filtering mode you set last time is not remembered, it is abnormal. Like the volume and the input channel of the audio source, the filter mode can be remembered.

By the way, do you suggest to keep the back switch always turned on and just mute the unit to make it enter standby mode when not used?
It depends on your habits. If you use it every day, mute it and turn off the power if you don't use it for a long time.

mt196

SGD1 will remember the filtering mode you set last time when you shut down. If the last time was Apod, it will be turned on. If the filtering mode you set last time is not remembered, it is abnormal. Like the volume and the input channel of the audio source, the filter mode can be remembered.

It depends on your habits. If you use it every day, mute it and turn off the power if you don't use it for a long time.
I set BRIC and when powered off then on using the rear switch, it goes back to APOD. The volume of every input, instead, is remembered

dank0

Hello,
maybe i am not as smart ;-) I am trying to connect my DAC to wifi with EspTouch without any success. I am on 2.4 wifi. I tried the mobile app on the iPhone or Android device, but without any success. Also my device doesn't remember the filtering mode. I am living in the Shenzhen (Nanshan) i can come to your office with the device (i am not chinese :) .

Attachments

• esp.jpg
    esp.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 179

nspp

Hello,
maybe i am not as smart ;-) I am trying to connect my DAC to wifi with EspTouch without any success. I am on 2.4 wifi. I tried the mobile app on the iPhone or Android device, but without any success. Also my device doesn't remember the filtering mode. I am living in the Shenzhen (Nanshan) i can come to your office with the device (i am not chinese :) .
Before launching espTouch application, you have to enable OTA mode on the SGD1 unit:
  1. Turn it on (back switch)
  2. double push the main knob three times. ..-..-..
  3. You should see all the led turning on. (if it is not the case, restart from 1)
  4. Use EspTouch from a device connected in the same 2.4 network as you want to connect the SGD1
  5. Wifi must be protected by WEP or WPA passphrase only, certificate signing will not be supported
  6. Verify SSID, Enter password and let number of device 1 and broadcast if it is the only device with esptouch ability.
  7. Once entered you should have confirmation and get mac adress of SGD1
Once done firmware update should occurs.
This will not connect SGD1 to your network persistently and you will not have any way to adress it through wifi as UPNP player. The wifi access is just to check firmware at startup.

Ben1987

Audio Company
I set BRIC and when powered off then on using the rear switch, it goes back to APOD. The volume of every input, instead, is remembered
Thanks @mt196 for your feedback and we will fix the related problems.
--------------------
VER: 1.0.1.9
CHANGE:
Fix filter save failed bug.
--------------------

maybe i am not as smart ;-) I am trying to connect my DAC to wifi with EspTouch without any success. I am on 2.4 wifi. I tried the mobile app on the iPhone or Android device, but without any success. Also my device doesn't remember the filtering mode.
You can use our simple factory upgrade mode to upgrade SGD1 system firmware:
1. Set mobile phone wifi hotspot, Name: ANIG Password: 12345678
2. Power off and restart, wait a few seconds, SGD1 panel lights are all bright, wait a few seconds, then restart, upgrade was successful.

I am living in the Shenzhen (Nanshan) i can come to your office with the device (i am not chinese :) .
:) Welcome to the SONCOZ ! ヽ(*^ー^)人(^ー^*)ノ

mt196

Thanks @mt196 for your feedback and we will fix the related problems.
--------------------
CHANGE:
--------------------

Thanks Ben, I noticed it reset also when in stand-by for a prolonged time, anyway it is not a big problem since APOD is already a perfect filter for anyone

dank0

@nspp it worked like a charm :) thank you very much
@Ben1987 thank you Ben, you made pretty cool product, i love the sound, it make my work much happier experience :) btw. i would not mind to come to see you and bring you some beer :)

dank0

I have another question - (i get the package without any manual) is there a standby mode / sleep function? how you can see which version of the firmware you are running?

Ben1987

Audio Company
how you can see which version of the firmware you are running?
SGD1 currently requires an Internet connection to view the software version.
If you just received SGD1 suggesting you upgrade to the latest software version, this was released yesterday.
--------------------
2020-05-26
CHANGE:
--------------------
You can use our simple factory upgrade mode to upgrade SGD1 system firmware:
1. Set mobile phone wifi hotspot, Name: ANIG Password: 12345678
2. Power off and restart, wait a few seconds, SGD1 panel lights are all bright, wait a few seconds, then restart, upgrade was successful.

I have another question - (i get the package without any manual) is there a standby mode / sleep function?
You can download SGD1 user manual here. SGD1's standby mode is not really standby. After ten minutes of mute station, SGD1 will turn off all the leds and go into a sleep-like state.

Last edited:

dank0

hteavnafets

Forum Donor
One question. How should the sgd1 react if i generate the Hotspot ANIG? In my case all LEDs will go on. Connect with the Hotspot. After a while a restart is triggered. And then it will Do it again and again and again. Till i deactivate the Hotspot. Did i something wrong?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...and does one have to make a hotspot available that has no encryption and no password?

mt196

...and does one have to make a hotspot available that has no encryption and no password?
No the password should be 12345678 for the anig hotspot, but anyway you can set the sgd1 to connect to your own WiFi router rather than using the smartphone hotspot, the procedure involves the use of esptouch app.

One question. How should the sgd1 react if i generate the Hotspot ANIG? In my case all LEDs will go on. Connect with the Hotspot. After a while a restart is triggered. And then it will Do it again and again and again. Till i deactivate the Hotspot. Did i something wrong?
It is strange, probably it is because it fails the update, have you tried resetting the unit, then power off, power on, make it update and wait for the icons to return to normal?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What I'm not getting here is how would I connect the SGD1 to my WiFi router which is (obviously) password protected?

Top Bottom