• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There could probably be real many maty, in it should be a true 32bit deep DAC but okay someone will have to confirm how fine a step resolution knob has access or programmed for.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The question is how many steps. 40 or... 70 steps... in case the poweramp has about or more than 100 watts (thinking in DIY PURIFI 1ET400A).
I'd guess 0.5dB intervals given the underlying hardware, but the firmware could use a multiple of that. I'd hope to see the 0.5dB increments, with bigger steps if the knob is turned quickly. The ability to set a maximum volume below full output might help some people.

maty

Major Contributor
Sabaj D5 DAC with ESS ES9038Pro only... 40 or 42 steps! As the data does not appear I ask.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Think remember you use Jriver yourself maty, suggest then use Jriver remote or mouse and step SONCOZ 0,5dB at a time over ASIO or WASAPI or if you also use its DSP engine set it to the "Internal volume" (engine is 64bit) and secure yourself with features in Jriver as "Volume Protection"/"Maximum volume"/"Startup volume", had run Jriver myself for nearly a decade with power amp knobs always set on full throttle without any mistakes that would blow any transducer coils out of their safe operating area and should a mistake happen will say had three dacades in past using knobs on analog pre's and can't say they was mistake free : )

maty

Major Contributor
Yes, JRiver MC v25 64 bits. Always at 10%. Opened -> volume up to 95% (my modded ODAC sounds better than at 100%).

Frontend: foobar2000 (at 100%), Kernel Streming JRVAD Wave with JRMC WDM driver -> JRMC (Kernel Streaming) DSP and ALL functions. Same with browsers.

Ben1987

Audio Company
I'd guess 0.5dB intervals given the underlying hardware, but the firmware could use a multiple of that. I'd hope to see the 0.5dB increments, with bigger steps if the knob is turned quickly
The volume of SGD1 can be adjusted by 0.5dB at each step, from the minimum volume -64dB to the maximum volume of 0dB, which can be realized by turning the knob quickly or long pressing remote control +/-.
Volume adjusted can be optimized through software upgrades.

jjluke

vole-boy

Forum Donor
A short time lurker, long term audio martyr here. I'm just really impressed with the approach and informativeness of everyone's contributions on this site - and how the feedback is acted on by the gear designers. Exactly as it should be, so massive thanks for general awesomeness, folks. And yes, I may, as a result, just have pulled the trigger on buying the SGD1 for UK delivery....looks /(more importantly) measures really awesome :) Nice one.

vole-boy

Forum Donor
Now: 479,90 € + EUR 22,50 = 502,40 €
Nice spot - 5euro cheaper than the other! But just a heads-up that the seller has a dodgy rating in there (my German isn't good enough to know if it's justified).

sinski

Bluetooth and wlan are consuming power and causing rfi.
Is it possible to turn off bt and wlan ? Or maybe, when not used, they are deactivated ?

:)

Ben1987

Audio Company
Is it possible to turn off bt and wlan ? Or maybe, when not used, they are deactivated ?
BT/WiFi for CPU OTA:
1582684053153.png

HD BT 5.0 for music:
When you don't use bluetooth5.0 for a long time, it will fall asleep and consume very little power .

jerms

Hi Ben, is it possible on this and the QXD1 to use the optical out as a sub pre-out? Or is RCA the right option here?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Ben, is it possible on this and the QXD1 to use the optical out as a sub pre-out? Or is RCA the right option here?
RCA. Optical is a digital signal, so unless your sub has digital input, that won't work.

jerms

RCA. Optical is a digital signal, so unless your sub has digital input, that won't work.

I understand that optical is a digital signal - however I've seen instances where the same connector serves double duty as an analogue LFE line out. No idea how difficult it actually is to implement that way.

bequietjk

In the excitement for the return of the SGD1's availability, I jumped on the website and found the color profiles :)

Deep Black
1583555769735.png

and Space Gray
1583555788904.png

Can't wait. Still, these are digital photos and will not accurately represent what they will look like in person but will give us an idea of what we can expect in terms of color shade I suppose.

Excited ^_^

Top Bottom