• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Tks

Major Contributor
Oh I forgot if there is any hope this thing is still on the test bench. Can Toslink performance be measured? No need to run the full suite, just perhaps jitter/SINAD if it's not too much trouble.

raif71

Major Contributor
Tbh, I either listen to my device with the amp Maxed out, and the DAC output being variable, but mostly very low output to offset the high amp volume setting. Or mostly DAC at max level, and then mess around with the amp volume knob.

Either way, I never really would find myself troubled with that hump practically speaking. It's mostly just a feels thing (engineering excellence in the same way aesthetic excellence that folks may desire). Also it upsets me in principle, how ESS can let this out on the market, worse yet, no indication of any revisions coming, no recalls, and worse yet, no new next gen chips. It seems they themselves are having to contest with this hump issue and perhaps themselves don't even know how to fix it and somehow offer an appreciable difference in their next planned chips.

Meanwhile AKM, well they're doing great as we can see by the D90 measurements.

So I don't mind people using these chips if they can squeeze out this level of performance for this price. I just wish they would shun ESS a bit until they get their act together.

Does ESS acknowledge that the hump is even an issue? It could be a signature thingy that an ESS chip is being used, sort of like a watermark.

Tks

Major Contributor
Does ESS acknowledge that the hump is even an issue? It could be a signature thingy that an ESS chip is being used, sort of like a watermark.

Could have sworn they were told about it by manufacturers. I don't recall if they ever made comment on it. As for watermark/signature, I can't imagine to what purpose, and at such a cost. That would be very very puzzling to come from folks like that.

Then again, seeing powerhouse chip makers like Intel and AMD make fools out of themselves with the marketing departments they employ, and the literally moronic executives that override the probably sensible people working there, I wouldn't be surprised if ESS suffered something of the sort.

Also I hear one of the head honcho's at ESS (I think the guy who founded them) is a bit cooky with his belief's about audio quality.

Reminds me a bit about the fellow running Chord. Decent performing products, but he will then go and turn around and claim multiple times he can hear distortions -300db down. I just can't reconcile how such contradictions can exist in reality.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
They do. And they have solved it in implementations. Their evaluation board for 9038q2m does not have this issue. And one guy from a Chinese ess distributor helped brands like gustard to overcome imd hump. And shared something in the imd hump thread. Tho not very helpful. Ess is very strict about their datasheet application notes and support. They only support their customers and don't release anything critical to public.

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

IMD-45.JPG

IMD-40.JPG

IMD-35.jpg

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Oh I forgot if there is any hope this thing is still on the test bench. Can Toslink performance be measured? No need to run the full suite, just perhaps jitter/SINAD if it's not too much trouble.

Please wait 10 minutes

bennetng

Major Contributor
It may also be interesting to look at the "distribution of dB" on some real music as well.

Moderately loud pop music:
-11.42LUFS
mid.png

Acoustic recording with minimal processing (Jazz):
-19.93LUFS
The vertical lines at around -60dB are caused by the noise floor of the recording.
hi.png

So most of the audio data in this jazz music are located between -15dB and -40dB, where the ESS hump exists.

Well is it audible? If the answer is "no", then something like the Modi3 can also be transparent, and it has a case, too. And if it is inaudible, then it should be inaudible on the KTB as well.

pos

Forum Donor
@amirm, could you please also do a 1kHz measurement with the AES3 input?

Also, I think it would be worthwhile to include an idle power consumption measurement: this would put the thermal stability measurement into perspective showing how much heat the unit has to dissipate as a whole.

Top Bottom