• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Ben1987

Audio Company
I noticed that there aren't any measurements for the SGD1 post IMD hump fix, so i sent my unit to Golden One for measurement and here are the results. These seem to correspond with those posted by Purr1n at https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...ncoz-sgd1-vs-geshelli-jnog.10955/#post-347268 . Seems like the IMD hump fix has resulted in worse SINAD performance.
There are a few things to be said about SGD1 testing:

Conclusion first: the unit under test is most likely not Upgraded(OTA) to the latest firmware (there are a small number of early units in Europe), as I judge from the output amplitude of the test.The unit output amplitude of the test was around 4.4Vrms, while the unit output amplitude of the upgrade to the latest firmware should be around 4.2Vrms.

Everyone is doing the right thing, both media and users, who want SONCOZ to bring good audio products. The SONCOZ team is truly grateful for your trust and support.

I arranged time to randomly check and test our products again. Finally, I found the worst test result in a group of tests:

Test environment and conditions:
1)Test instrument: AP555 A series;
2)Wire: standard accessories, ordinary wire;
3)Power supply: non-isolated power supply;

THD+N:
THD+N.png

FFT:
FFT.png

SNR:
SNR.png

IMD:
IMD.png

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
There are a few things to be said about SGD1 testing:

Conclusion first: the unit under test is most likely not Upgraded(OTA) to the latest firmware (there are a small number of early units in Europe), as I judge from the output amplitude of the test.The unit output amplitude of the test was around 4.4Vrms, while the unit output amplitude of the upgrade to the latest firmware should be around 4.2Vrms.

Everyone is doing the right thing, both media and users, who want SONCOZ to bring good audio products. The SONCOZ team is truly grateful for your trust and support.

I arranged time to randomly check and test our products again. Finally, I found the worst test result in a group of tests:

Test environment and conditions:
1)Test instrument: AP555 A series;
2)Wire: standard accessories, ordinary wire;
3)Power supply: non-isolated power supply;

THD+N:
View attachment 153624

FFT:
View attachment 153621

SNR:
View attachment 153622

IMD:
View attachment 153623

We checked for an update with the update tool, and apparently it was on the latest firmware. When was this firmware update released? Could there be a problem with the firmware update tool?

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Sorry, i sold my SGD1, and the person i sold it to understandably isn't willing to ship their only DAC all the way back to us just so we can do re-tests.

loprent1

Has anyone had issues with their SGD1 restarting constantly?

It seems to happen more after I've just turned it on (every 3-4 minutes) and less often as it gets warmed up (every 15-20 minutes).

I've got it connected to my Wifi network and added the ANIG hotspot today incase that would work. Still nothing

bwng29

@Ben1987 , I have the latest iPhone with the latest iOS. I renamed my phone to ANIG and created a hotspot with pwd 12345678 and the unit will not enter the state where all lights are on. I couldn't do the other approach as my home wifi has a mesh network that doesn't allow manually choosing 2.4GhZ. So I wonder if the update method still works for the latest iOS?

darwin098

Hi all, just purchased my soncoz SGD1 yesterday and am facing some issues with the power cycling.

I updated the soncoz with my android phone using the play store app. No issues with the linking, the app said that configuration was successful.
However, now the all the LEDs turn on after I turn the soncoz on. All of it turns on for varying times, but every time it will turn off, or restart after.

This has been going on for quite some time. Anyone experienced this before? Is there a way for me to do a factory reset for the soncoz and restart the wifi procedure? Or is there just that many firmware updates? Thanks

Ben1987

Audio Company
This has been going on for quite some time. Anyone experienced this before? Is there a way for me to do a factory reset for the soncoz and restart the wifi procedure? Or is there just that many firmware updates? Thanks
This is a restart upgrade attempt due to an unsuccessful upgrade.Hold down the knob for more than 6 seconds to reset the entire system, and then the phone's hotspot upgrade is the most convenient.

Daimonos

Hey. I have an original version of this DAC without the IMD hump fix. Is it still possible to get the unit replaced? How does the replacement process work?

EMMA

Hey. I have an original version of this DAC without the IMD hump fix. Is it still possible to get the unit replaced? How does the replacement process work?
Was it purchased in 2019? Contact the person who sold you and send it back to replace the hardware.

Zeeb

I was able to upgrade the firmware using the hotspot method, but it didn't work the first time.

First I reset the DAC by holding in the volume dial for 6 seconds.

I turned the hotpsot on and switched the DAC off and on (with 20 seconds in between off and on, as is wise for electronics in general).

The first time, after all the DAC LEDs turned on - the DAC restarted itself and all the LEDs came on again (I believe this means the update failed). After one or 2 more cycles it restarted and the LEDs stayed off. Now when I manually restart the DAC, the hotspot shows the device connect for a minute or so, and then disconnect without the DAC restarting... Pretty sure this means the update was successful.

Perhaps because I am in Australia there was a delay downloading the update or something. I wonder if trying at a different time of day might help sometimes.

In the past I used the other method (app + home wifi) which I think worked the first time I tried it.

loprent1

This is a restart upgrade attempt due to an unsuccessful upgrade.Hold down the knob for more than 6 seconds to reset the entire system, and then the phone's hotspot upgrade is the most convenient.
Yeah that fixed my issue a while back.

Any news on the Apple Remote testing @Ben1987 or is it unlikely to ever be supported?

Kelims

Mute for about 10 minutes and go into standby mode. In standby mode, all the lights will go out, and the digital part of the peripheral circuit will go off except for the analog power supply. Anlalog part of the power did not drop, mainly because, when out of standby mode may bring the simulation output of the impact, damage equipment.
SGD1's power consumption mainly comes from the analog part, the digital part of the power loss to reduce the power consumption is not much, about 2W, that is to say, the power will be reduced when the sleep about 2W.
This may not be the ideal result of stand by, but it protects the peripherals and it does look like it's sleeping soundly.
Hello,

Am I to understand that when the device is switched off (stand-by) it still draws 7W?

Last edited:

Kelims

Hello, is there anyone who uses RPI with moode audio? Is this combination seamless?

Top Bottom