• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Oberoni

I must be doing something wrong, then. I ran Apple's usb-c to 3.5 mm adapter out of the USB-C slot last night and connected it to standard desktop computer speakers. I couldn't get any sound out of the speakers that way no matter which input I used. My amp & headphones connected to the RCA outs worked fine, however.

Ben1987

Audio Company
The digital output RCA works all the time and requires no more setup.
Screenshot_20200612_205100_com.huawei.photos.png

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I must be doing something wrong, then. I ran Apple's usb-c to 3.5 mm adapter out of the USB-C slot last night and connected it to standard desktop computer speakers. I couldn't get any sound out of the speakers that way no matter which input I used. My amp & headphones connected to the RCA outs worked fine, however.
The digital out is SPDIF on the RCA labeled 'OUT'. There is no digital output via USB.

arithon

I received my SGD1 a few days ago but only managed to set it up last night. Works like a charm - cleaner with more detail than my previous DAC. Ben and Ann, thank you for a great DAC. Form factor is great and I like the design. What would have made this perfect if the knob was made of metal, with a bit of weight. That would have been the icing on the cake!

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
@Ben1987 I want to purchase one of these DACs, but I'm having a heck of a time finding a place where I can purchase one. The Soncoz store checkout process says it can't ship to my address (Portland, OR USA), Amazon appears to be out of stock.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
@Ben1987 I want to purchase one of these DACs, but I'm having a heck of a time finding a place where I can purchase one. The Soncoz store checkout process says it can't ship to my address (Portland, OR USA), Amazon appears to be out of stock.

You should PM @Sophia Ann ; she can help you.

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
I received my SGD1 a few days ago but only managed to set it up last night. Works like a charm - cleaner with more detail than my previous DAC. Ben and Ann, thank you for a great DAC. Form factor is great and I like the design. What would have made this perfect if the knob was made of metal, with a bit of weight. That would have been the icing on the cake!
Thanks so much for your approval.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
So can someone explain what is the sinad value of sgd1 now?

@Ben1987 could you ship a unit to Amir to have an independent measurement?

Veri

Master Contributor
So can someone explain what is the sinad value of sgd1 now?
@Ben1987 could you ship a unit to Amir to have an independent measurement?
What do you mean? IMD hump is fixed but SINAD won't have fallen. The circuit has not been made worse.

I recently received my SGD1, which I have connected to a SMSL SP200. This replaced a Massdrop O2 / SDAC, and is a giant step up in quality. The O2 / SDAC by itself was good. The SDAC into the SP200 was better, but this combo is superb.

Seeing the thread where @Ben1987 worked through solving the ESS IM hump is what made me decide to purchase the SGD1. That was a very impressive display of a product designer listening to community feedback and taking the steps to resolve the issue. A lot of other companies could learn from that example.

Confirmation bias aside, I have never heard music played so cleanly and clearly as with the SGD1. I am thoroughly impressed by the quality of this device every time I use it. USB from my MacBook works flawlessly. Even Bluetooth sounds good, though I haven’t yet been able to connect via LDAC. I am hoping that can be resolved via an update?

Next on my list is to build a rPi player that can live next to the DAC...

dank0

@Ben1987 if you guys planning to do Headphone amp or Tube Headphone amp in the future with the same quality like this DAC - I will be definitely your returning customer ;-)

mt196

I actually can't wait to see some speakers' amp. It is time that some Chinese competition enters that sector, I am tired of seeing 85db sinad stuff sold at more than 400$ (way more actually)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wished the SGD1 having a digital control panel, even if more expensive :confused:

NOS4A2

I left a similar post like this at Amir's review of QXD1 so forgive me for cloning it but...

Is there a Brian who lives in York, Ontario, Canada who recently bought a silver QXD1? I think your DAC just arrived at my door and mine, a black one, will arrive at yours this Friday.

Please send me a PM so we can sort this out without having to send the DACs back to Ann.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their time zone is exactly 12 hours difference from yours. It may play a part in the response.
Or that it may have ended in the junk/spam mail folder by server mistake.
Yes I'm aware of the time zone change...it has been 4 days now.

Top Bottom