• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz SGD-1 - Updating firmware

daws0n

Hey everyone

After reading about this device here on ASR, I've been looking out for one to partner with my amps.

Today I took delivery of a used example, and wired it up without issues.

Sonically, I've no complaints whatsoever but I am having a hard time getting this thing to update (or try to update even).

1. First, I made a hotspot on my phone using the default SSID and passkey. After rebooting the SGD-1, I expected Android to show the device connected whilst the DAC connected/check for update. No devices connection reported at any point.

2. Assuming the previous owner changed the SSID / Passkey, I persued the alternative option of use "Esptouch" via my Android phone to re-configure the SGD-1's network settings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.khoazero123.iot_esptouch_demo&hl=en_US&gl=US

After putting the DAC into config mode (all lights up) and with phone connected to my router's guest SSID, I entered my passkey into the Esptouch app but repeatedley received error "EspTouch failed"

I have repeated this process multiple times with 2 samsung galaxy phones, I even tried using the zipped APK verison of EspTouch hosted on Soncoz's website (sgd1-ota-network-config-esptouch.zip).

If anyone has successfully upgraded their SGD-1, I'd be grateful if you explain how you did so!

Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ummmmm, its not a networked device?

You will need to install the driver update software on a PC/ MAC and update via USB.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey everyone

After reading about this device here on ASR, I've been looking out for one to partner with my amps.

Today I took delivery of a used example, and wired it up without issues.

Sonically, I've no complaints whatsoever but I am having a hard time getting this thing to update (or try to update even).

1. First, I made a hotspot on my phone using the default SSID and passkey. After rebooting the SGD-1, I expected Android to show the device connected whilst the DAC connected/check for update. No devices connection reported at any point.

2. Assuming the previous owner changed the SSID / Passkey, I persued the alternative option of use "Esptouch" via my Android phone to re-configure the SGD-1's network settings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.khoazero123.iot_esptouch_demo&hl=en_US&gl=US

After putting the DAC into config mode (all lights up) and with phone connected to my router's guest SSID, I entered my passkey into the Esptouch app but repeatedley received error "EspTouch failed"

I have repeated this process multiple times with 2 samsung galaxy phones, I even tried using the zipped APK verison of EspTouch hosted on Soncoz's website (sgd1-ota-network-config-esptouch.zip).

If anyone has successfully upgraded their SGD-1, I'd be grateful if you explain how you did so!

Thanks

Second point, unless its not doing something it should, do you need to update?

OP
D

daws0n

USB update is what I expected as per the norm, but reading about this device it's approach to updating is unusal to say the least....

It has a wifi radio specifically for handling firmware over the air via an internet connected (either your router or a mobile hotspot). It checks for a firmware update everytime it is switched on according to the manual.

As far as I can tell, there is no option to update firmware over USB.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
USB update is what I expected as per the norm, but reading about this device it's approach to updating is unusal to say the least....

It has a wifi radio specifically for handling firmware over the air via an internet connected (either your router or a mobile hotspot). It checks for a firmware update everytime it is switched on according to the manual.

As far as I can tell, there is no option to update firmware over USB.
Wow. Apologies, that is unusual

OP
D

daws0n

Very much so - ideally, I'd like to reset it back to it's default SSID/PSK (ANIGS/12345678) and hotspot the default network ad-hoc rather than piggy backing off my router's guest credentials.

I don't really like the idea of the device flashing itself automatically whenever it can... If the power tripped out during update phase I could be left with an expensive paper weight!

OP
D

daws0n

OK I've managed to put it right, it appears that EspTouch isn't compatible with my home router... Incase anyone else encounters similar issues, here's what to do (you need 2 wifi hot spot capable phones):

1. Setup hotspot on phone 1 to desired SSID / PSK (you could mirror your router's details, or as I prefer reset them back to ANIGS/12345678 default)

2. Install EspTouch on phone 2 ready for steps.

3. Disable mobile data on phone 2 and connect to phone 1's hotspot SSID. Test internet connectivity is OK.

4. Put SGD-1 into network config mode and launch EspTouch app on phone 2.

5. Esptouch will pick up phone 1's SSID, enter pass phrase set above. Success message will appear on EspTouch app.

6. Leave everything alone for 2 mins, disconnect phone 2 from hotspot and re-enable mobile data.

7. Hard reboot SGD-1 by pressing dial button in for 6 seconds, observe connected devices on mobile 1's hotspot screen. You should see the SGD-1 connecting to SSID for exactly 1 minute while it checks for updates.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK I've managed to put it right, it appears that EspTouch isn't compatible with my home router... Incase anyone else encounters similar issues, here's what to do (you need 2 wifi hot spot capable phones):

1. Setup hotspot on phone 1 to desired SSID / PSK (you could mirror your router's details, or as I prefer reset them back to ANIGS/12345678 default)

2. Install EspTouch on phone 2 ready for steps.

3. Disable mobile data on phone 2 and connect to phone 1's hotspot SSID. Test internet connectivity is OK.

4. Put SGD-1 into network config mode and launch EspTouch app on phone 2.

5. Esptouch will pick up phone 1's SSID, enter pass phrase set above. Success message will appear on EspTouch app.

6. Leave everything alone for 2 mins, disconnect phone 2 from hotspot and re-enable mobile data.

7. Hard reboot SGD-1 by pressing dial button in for 6 seconds, observe connected devices on mobile 1's hotspot screen. You should see the SGD-1 connecting to SSID for exactly 1 minute while it checks for updates.

That's bonkers

John57

On the control panel it says firmware version v6.F2 for my SGD1 unit. Anyone has a later version?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's bonkers
To some extent, I agree. The problem isn't helped by @Ben1987's less than perfect English. Don't get me wrong; his English is great but the intricacies of a precise technical explanation can be confusing.

For the update process to work, all that has to be explained is that the user needs to create a Wi-Fi hotspot with the SSID (name) ANIG and passcode 12345678. That hotspot only needs to exist for a minute or two when the DAC is turned on from cold, via its rear mains switch. Using the ESPTouch utility to conform the DAC to an existing Wi-Fi network is probably an unwise option for the non-technical user; it's much easier to create a temporary Wi-Fi network hotspot [access point] that conforms to the DAC's defaults than the more usual approach of changing the DAC's defaults to connect to an existing Wi-Fi.

In this instance it really does seem simpler to allow the tail to wag the dog.

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
Which control panel ?
The ASIO control panel. You need the driver installed to access that. That's in Windows. Can't comment on other OSs

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On the control panel it says firmware version v6.F2 for my SGD1 unit. Anyone has a later version?
Please don't get too paranoid over this. @Ben1987 is not in the habit of releasing new firmware every few days. I have a unit that is about 8 months old and the only firmware update was the one that took place when I first switched it on.

After a unit such as this has been launched and the firmware is stable and works as it ought, what more do you want a firmware update to achieve?

Top Bottom