• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC VS SCHITT Modius? for use with Topping A90 and HE6SE v2

Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC VS SCHITT Modius vs SMSL M300 MKII for pairing with an A90?

• Soncoz LA-QXD1

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • SCHITT Modius

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • SMSL M300 MKII

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Also, just a good reference for you to bookmark and use when needed. (I had forgotten about this until I read this post.) It's the Headphonesty headphone power calculator.
Keep in mind the calculator is only as accurate as the numbers you put in. And unfortunately those numbers are often only found on the manufacturer's website (i.e., given a healthy dose of Marketing spin) so they may be ... optimistic.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jamesj562

You certainly tried many sources. Maybe the A90 is defective. You described clipping and distortion and there should be none coming out of an A90.

The A90 I am using now (and have been for almost a year) is a warranty replacement. The first one went kaput, loud pop in one ear, and lost a channel. Had an identical issue with a DX3 Pro. Topping hasn't been perfect for me but overall OK and they are an easy company to work with so I keep using them. No problems with any of their DAC's just ampIt only clips on XLR and 98-100 of the volume knob
You certainly tried many sources. Maybe the A90 is defective. You described clipping and distortion and there should be none coming out of an A90.

The A90 I am using now (and have been for almost a year) is a warranty replacement. The first one went kaput, loud pop in one ear, and lost a channel. Had an identical issue with a DX3 Pro. Topping hasn't been perfect for me but overall OK and they are an easy company to work with so I keep using them. No problems with any of their DAC's just amps.

It doesn’t clip on RCA high gain max volume. It only clips on XLR on high gain and 95-100% volume knob turn on energy heavy tracks (bass etc)

OP
J

Jamesj562

If your A90, M300, and source are configured correctly there is no reason to be experiencing what you are. The A90 wil drive the HE6se to thunderous levels using the 4V XLR. No calculator is needed.

If the M300 is really providing 4V to A90 there should be no issue at all.

Wolf shows the M300Mkii is capable of 4V output. If all XLR DAC's output 4V, buying a new DAC isn't going to solve anything.

It appears something is limiting output from the DAC to the amp. That means the DAC or the source. If they are configured correctly, the amp could be the issue.

My main suspect that they a90 doesn’t have the balls to power it at the level it deserves. Searching outside of ASR on numerous other websites it seems like people do not like the a90 as amp source for the HE6se. I’m seeing this on multiple sites not just one. Again I am not technically qualified enough to make that decision for myself but it is kind of stunning that I’m seeing it across-the-board outside of ASR.

I may have an opportunity to try a modious tomorrow but at this point I’m about 70% convinced the a90 with 4V dac input doesn’t have the juice for these cans.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My main suspect that they a90 doesn’t have the balls to power it at the level it deserves. Searching outside of ASR on numerous other websites it seems like people do not like the a90 as amp source for the HE6se. I’m seeing this on multiple sites not just one. Again I am not technically qualified enough to make that decision for myself but it is kind of stunning that I’m seeing it across-the-board outside of ASR.

I may have an opportunity to try a modious tomorrow but at this point I’m about 70% convinced the a90 with 4V dac input doesn’t have the juice for these cans.
You're wrong about that, as has been shown to you already. You'll eventually figure out what the problem in your setup/devices is.

OP
J

Jamesj562

You're wrong about that, as has been shown to you already. You'll eventually figure out what the problem in your setup/devices is.
I’m testing more today with the modius. I hope I’m wrong and it’s something simple off.

Attachments

• 3986DA4B-74C1-4BCC-B3C6-A395F2472A12.jpeg
    3986DA4B-74C1-4BCC-B3C6-A395F2472A12.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 81
OP
J

Jamesj562

It’s significantly better output with the modius now vs the smsl via XLR. After two hours of music and maybe 30 to 40 tracks there are still 5 to 10 tracks where I want more volume and I can’t get it. Looks like I will be ordering the Ragnarok II tomorrow. It kind of sucks because I’m tight on desk space but I’m not what else would have sufficient power for the HE6se

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
-7.6db Plus or - 0.2.
Are you still experiencing issues when not EQing even with the Modius? If not, then leaving such a large amount of headroom is the answer. With roughly double the power required for every 3db increase, you are essentially reducing the power by a factor of almost 6. That is a greater reduction than if you switched to using unbalanced output.

OP
J

Jamesj562

Are you still experiencing issues when not EQing even with the Modius? If not, then leaving such a large amount of headroom is the answer. With roughly double the power required for every 3db increase, you are essentially reducing the power by a factor of almost 6. That is a greater reduction than if you switched to using unbalanced output.
We’re not EQing it’s fine for 98% of tracks. The EQ is defiantly cutting into my output significantly. I’m using the oratory settings into the 10 band EQ on usb pro player

Jmm22

It’s significantly better output with the modius now vs the smsl via XLR. After two hours of music and maybe 30 to 40 tracks there are still 5 to 10 tracks where I want more volume and I can’t get it. Looks like I will be ordering the Ragnarok II tomorrow. It kind of sucks because I’m tight on desk space but I’m not what else would have sufficient power for the HE6se
The Flux Lab FA-10 supposedly power the HE6 well. I don’t know about the FA-12 or FA-12S. I’m looking as well and don’t want the A90.

OP
J

Jamesj562

The Flux Lab FA-10 supposedly power the HE6 well. I don’t know about the FA-12 or FA-12S. I’m looking as well and don’t want the A90.
At this point I’m very torn between 3 options, ragnarok II, Flux Labs amp(not sure which one) or buying the Hifiman adaptor and trying out a dedicated speaker amp.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
buying the Hifiman adaptor and trying out a dedicated speaker amp
You mean this? https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-adapter.html

Only my own perspective of course, but I wouldn’t buy any device like that unless you had measurements. Might give you the power you need but then add audible noise and/or distortion. And honestly, same advice goes for buying a dedicated headphone amp.

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
The Modius is cheap and I haven't seen reports of any real QC issues with it. I've had one for over a year without any issues. The Soncoz would be my next choice, but it did have some reported QC hiccups that may or may not be resolved now. I'd go with the Modius.
My Modius pops/thumps every time the bitrate changes. I returned it for repair. It came back with the same problem. There's also a Reddit thread where someone had the same problem. Their unit was replaced and was fine. At least 1 other person on here (in the Modius review) is having the same issue as me.

I'm currently in contact with Schiit customer service and deciding whether to get a refund or a replacement. I already spent $28.50 shipping it back them the first time. I don't want to keep throwing more money into this over a $200 DAC.

I'm thinking of the SONCOZ right now. Do you know what the QC hiccups were with the SONCOZ?

THANKS.

BurningDrake

Hi, I have the soncoz+a90 pairing with sundara, I use it in low gain at 25%. Before the soncoz I had the topping e30 and this pairing can go clarely louder and distort less. With e30 was around 50% sometimes 60%.

Top Bottom