• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

volkl77n

Thought I'd just leave this here.
Almost a year later and the heart of the system, the LA-QXD1, is still going strong.

Is there a way to determine which revision of the DAC I have? There's no serial or revision number on either the unit or the packaging.

Attachments

• 20210927_164749.jpg
    20210927_164749.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 178

EMMA

Is there a way to determine which revision of the DAC I have? There's no serial or revision number on either the unit or the packaging.
Connect the DAC to the computer, you can see the current firmware version number of LA-QXD1 on the drive panel, and then decide whether to refresh the new firmware. The new firmware can be downloaded from the official website.

spiritofjerry

Connect the DAC to the computer, you can see the current firmware version number of LA-QXD1 on the drive panel, and then decide whether to refresh the new firmware. The new firmware can be downloaded from the official website.
I think they were asking whether or not their version had the hardware fix that resolved the static discharge killing the DAC issue. I have a launch version with the "Luniceraudio" logo, so mine is the original hardware revision. Which is scary, because I just moved to Utah, where the weather is dry and the static abounds!

FreaK

I think they were asking whether or not their version had the hardware fix that resolved the static discharge killing the DAC issue. I have a launch version with the "Luniceraudio" logo, so mine is the original hardware revision. Which is scary, because I just moved to Utah, where the weather is dry and the static abounds!
I have that first version too, but i not heard about this problem till now :eek: is there a replacement program or something like that?

spiritofjerry

I have that first version too, but i not heard about this problem till now :eek: is there a replacement program or something like that?
I emailed Sophia Ann, but have not had a reply, and it's been a few days. I doubt they'll just replace it, but it's worth a shot asking. I even offered to pay shipping and even a small replacement/restocking fee for their trouble, just so I can have a product that won't potentially fail.

For comparison: a hardware defect that renders a vehicle useless would be an instant recall of the automobile and at minimum, a free repair. I also feel kinda "shorted" because I got the ugly logo. Like, why does my DAC say Luniceraudio when the company is Soncoz? It's really tacky and cheap feeling having that unrelated logo on the box. I guess that's what a get for being an early backer of the product (which I dearly enjoy), is I get the rough-around-the-edges look. However, I DO NOT feel like I should get inferior, defective hardware.

EMMA

The first version does not mean that there will be problems. After all, you have used it for so long and it is fine. Of course, if there is a problem, please send it back for repair.

EMMA

I also feel kinda "shorted" because I got the ugly logo. Like, why does my DAC say Luniceraudio when the company is Soncoz? It's really tacky and cheap feeling having that unrelated logo on the box. I guess that's what a get for being an early backer of the product (which I dearly enjoy), is I get the rough-around-the-edges look. However, I DO NOT feel like I should get inferior, defective hardware.
What you get is the first batch of products, and there is a special logo on the front panel. If you follow this post, you should know that it has a special meaning in the previous reply. Some people like it and some people don't, so we decided to remove this design for the later products. Yes, the product is not perfect when it comes out, so we are always upgrading to make it better. Of course, if there is a problem with the function of your machine, please send it back for repair.

FreaK

The first version does not mean that there will be problems. After all, you have used it for so long and it is fine. Of course, if there is a problem, please send it back for repair.
Ok, thank you for the clarification!

spiritofjerry

If you encounter problems with the product during use, you can contact the dealer you bought in the first time. We will deal with your problems in a timely manner, including product related issues such as return or exchange.

Hello Ben, I actually started encountering issues with the DAC today! I get some really high-pitched buzzing/humming from my amplifier only when USB is connected to the DAC. I have tried an assortment of things to fix the issue, as I assumed it was a ground loop hum. I tried different plugs, power adapters, cables, different USB ports, etc. Nothing worked. I have another DAC and it does not produce this noise at all when all hooked up to my amplifier, meaning that it is originating in the DAC (or, at least, it is not terminating there). I am not really sure what to do! Do you think my unit is defective, or do you have any suggestions?

spiritofjerry

Hello Ben, I actually started encountering issues with the DAC today! I get some really high-pitched buzzing/humming from my amplifier only when USB is connected to the DAC. I have tried an assortment of things to fix the issue, as I assumed it was a ground loop hum. I tried different plugs, power adapters, cables, different USB ports, etc. Nothing worked. I have another DAC and it does not produce this noise at all when all hooked up to my amplifier, meaning that it is originating in the DAC (or, at least, it is not terminating there). I am not really sure what to do! Do you think my unit is defective, or do you have any suggestions?
Copying @Sophia Ann on this, I have emailed her today about this issue. I just now tried another USB cable, one with better shielding, and no luck.

volkl77n

@Ben1987 @Sophia Ann

I was able to fix it! It was not the DAC, it was USB noise. I was able to fix the issue by cutting the ground and power pins on the USB cable, and leaving the data pins intact! Problem solved!
I had a similar issue.
It turned out to be something USB related as it only happened sporadically when I was listening to music off an external drive while also having YouTube streaming tabs open in Chrome. Closed Chrome, issue went away.

Good thing is it definitely was not the Soncoz.

spiritofjerry

I had a similar issue.
It turned out to be something USB related as it only happened sporadically when I was listening to music off an external drive while also having YouTube streaming tabs open in Chrome. Closed Chrome, issue went away.

Good thing is it definitely was not the Soncoz.
You might consider doing what I did and just eliminating the 5v and ground pins using some kapton/scotch tape. Couldn't hurt, and you're guaranteed not to have ground loop issues.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You might consider doing what I did and just eliminating the 5v and ground pins using some kapton/scotch tape. Couldn't hurt, and you're guaranteed not to have ground loop issues.

Another way to alleviate that sort of USB-related issue is to connect the DAC via an external USB hub -- both active and passive hubs seem to work equally well as a cure. My Topping E30 avoids all that stuff by getting its 5VDC from a separate adapter rather than from the source device's USB -- but my otherwise-decent Behringer UMC202HD's DAC function needed the external hub remedy and works perfectly when connected that way.

spiritofjerry

Another way to alleviate that sort of USB-related issue is to connect the DAC via an external USB hub -- both active and passive hubs seem to work equally well as a cure.
Tried it, and it did not work. Active or passive hubs had no effect on the noise whatsoever. My theory is that much of the noise I was getting was from the USB implementation itself, which coupled itself into the ground. The ground loop isolators like the ifi Defender+ might have done the trick, but that was just too expensive for me to just throw money at without trying something more clever first. I spent zero dollars, and placed some tape over the 5v and ground pins on the USB cable, and the noise was eliminated, confirming it was coupled to the power/ground. BTW, I tried isolating the power and ground pins independently by masking them off one at a time, and that also did not work to abate the noise. I had to mask off BOTH of them, noise gone.
My Topping E30 avoids all that stuff by getting its 5VDC from a separate adapter rather than from the source device's USB -- but my otherwise-decent Behringer UMC202HD's DAC function needed the external hub remedy and works perfectly when connected that way.
My DAC is the LA-QXD1 which also gets its power from a 5V DC adapter, but it still had noise, so it appears the USB noise was making its way into the DAC and interfering with the DAC's power stage, causing the noise. This could theoretically affect any DAC, even yours, which are self powered. Nothing a little electrical tape can't fix! For the Behringer, yeah, the ifi Defender or a separate ground lift + power isolator should do the trick!

spiritofjerry

You can also just buy a data only cable like this one, which is pre-cut to abate the issue. NOTE: this is not guaranteed to work with every DAC, but should work for most DACs that are powered independently of USB.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Tried it, and it did not work. Active or passive hubs had no effect on the noise whatsoever. My theory is that much of the noise I was getting was from the USB implementation itself, which coupled itself into the ground. The ground loop isolators like the ifi Defender+ might have done the trick, but that was just too expensive for me to just throw money at without trying something more clever first. I spent zero dollars, and placed some tape over the 5v and ground pins on the USB cable, and the noise was eliminated, confirming it was coupled to the power/ground. BTW, I tried isolating the power and ground pins independently by masking them off one at a time, and that also did not work to abate the noise. I had to mask off BOTH of them, noise gone.

My DAC is the LA-QXD1 which also gets its power from a 5V DC adapter, but it still had noise, so it appears the USB noise was making its way into the DAC and interfering with the DAC's power stage, causing the noise. This could theoretically affect any DAC, even yours, which are self powered. Nothing a little electrical tape can't fix! For the Behringer, yeah, the ifi Defender or a separate ground lift + power isolator should do the trick!

Lots of folks reported no problems with the Behringer -- I think that particular issue stemmed from the particulars of my motherboard's USB implementation. I wonder if yours stems from the power terminals of its USB connector not being somehow dead-ended to prevent the interference, which is what you apparently accomplished with a little tape. :cool:

spiritofjerry

Lots of folks reported no problems with the Behringer -- I think that particular issue stemmed from the particulars of my motherboard's USB implementation. I wonder if yours stems from the power terminals of its USB connector not being somehow dead-ended to prevent the interference, which is what you apparently accomplished with a little tape. :cool:
I actually had the issue on another DAC I own, the Behringer UMC204HD (similar to yours, I think!), so it was definitely an issue with my PC's motherboard and not the DACs I own. For the Berhringer, something like the ifi Defender would be the solution. I am planning to buy one as I use it for recording vinyl and converting to FLAC.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
I actually had the issue on another DAC I own, the Behringer UMC204HD (similar to yours, I think!), so it was definitely an issue with my PC's motherboard and not the DACs I own. For the Berhringer, something like the ifi Defender would be the solution. I am planning to buy one as I use it for recording vinyl and converting to FLAC.

Fair enough -- fortunately, I didn't have to buy a $60 cure, since I had a couple of external hubs "in stock" from previous computer escapades, both of which did the trick.

timiambeing

Just a quick question to the assembled gathering, can I buy this DAC now? Is it fixed? Seems most of this thread is taken up with issues and problems... I'm in the UK so it's an Amazon purchase, but I don't want to bother if there are still issues.

Many thanks
Tim

Top Bottom