• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

gvl

Major Contributor
@Ben1987, do you have an explanation for the unusual filter response rise at higher frequencies?

index.php

I presume it is one of the stock ESS filters and looking at the SMSL SU-8 filter responses I don't see such anomalies. I do see the above measurement was taken at 0dB vs. -30dB for the SU-8, so that may be it?

index.php

index.php

Molasses

Hey, @Ben1987 . There was a 3db difference in THD+N between Channel 1 and 2. Was this due to some fault in the test unit or is it standard in the DAC? And if it was a fault in the test unit, does that mean we can expect the SINAD to be 115 in regular production units?

And there is a {relatively} significant difference in Amir's and Wolf's measurements (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-pre-production-evolution-of-kte-board.10471/ ) for the LA-QXD1, what do you think could be the cause of this?

And congratulations on what you've managed to achieve. Best of luck

mt196

What? I don’t look at the cables, I connect them and Listen a music. And You looking only at digital measurments, while your ears are analog
This is actually not the right place to do this discussion, but my point is that if there are no differences in the output signal and in the input one, the cable is doing no coloration, thus all that you are hearing is cognitive bias and imagination. Our mind is easy to trick you know? Science cannot accept subjectivity, if the brain captures something then it must be shown also in measurements, if it is not shown then probably imagination is working and there are plenty of study about it, many people even thinks some gear sounds better than some other just because they are painted differently, not knowing that inside they are completely equal

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm, have you shipped it back already? If not could you try the default filter response at -30dB?

mt196

guess why?
"fantastic sound" is so subjective... maybe you like distorsion element in the sound, they can also sound good you know?
But other people may prefer to have a super clear output from their equipment and leave the "coloration" of the sound to various speakers/headphones models.

If I guess correctly your 63 is your birth year, so maybe you are more of a fan of tubes, vinyls etc... that are all HUGE distorsion generators, and thus you like that kind of sound. I think instead that High Fidelity should be about the perfect reproduction of what you have in the track

Maximus63

"fantastic sound" is so subjective... maybe you like distorsion element in the sound, they can also sound good you know?
But other people may prefer to have a super clear output from their equipment and leave the "coloration" of the sound to various speakers/headphones models.

If I guess correctly your 63 is your birth year, so maybe you are more of a fan of tubes, vinyls etc... that are all HUGE distorsion generators, and thus you like that kind of sound. I think instead that High Fidelity should be about the perfect reproduction of what you have in the track

63y -- no! i'm 37 :) I just wanted to say that you should not blindly believe the measurements. The Chinese are trying to bring all their DACs into measurements, they do not listen to music. The DAC should not have capacitors and chips from mobile phones. Don't you understand?

Quomz

63y -- no! i'm 37 :) I just wanted to say that you should not blindly believe the measurements. The Chinese are trying to bring all their DACs into measurements, they do not listen to music. The DAC should not have capacitors and chips from mobile phones. Don't you understand?

What is wrong with using capacitators and chips that are used in other places, too? And what do you mean with your images? E.g. this DACs power output seems to be standard 4.x Vrms, that's not enough?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The DAC should not have capacitors and chips from mobile phones. Don't you understand?

The DAC in my phone (LG-G8) is actually quite good...transparent even.
No, I don't understand. There isn't any magic woo hiding in non-phone parts...
Higher quality parts are great...I'm all for it...but they aren't going to sound better simply because they are more expensive. Might last longer, look nicer, have more features, etc...but that's very different from sounding better.

Last edited:

sinski

It is 2020, when people will realize that smd integrated circuits outperform discrete components? Why in the audio sector it seems like we still live in the Stone Age where scientific method wasn't theorized and everyone lived having faith in subjectivity?
Have you compared one preamplifier build from good quality discrete components with one build form opamps ?
If not, than do it.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Wow , take your prejudiced elsewhere. Any more of this and you will be banned .

Ben1987

Audio Company
Hey, @Ben1987 . There was a 3db difference in THD+N between Channel 1 and 2. Was this due to some fault in the test unit or is it standard in the DAC? And if it was a fault in the test unit, does that mean we can expect the SINAD to be 115 in regular production units?

Actually we've been doing mass production testing and aging testing recently. I put a picture of batch test (from the AP of the old version) for your reference.
IMG_20200529_123131.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
No need to ban, I’ll leave by myself. The forum was probably mistaken. Here, they listen graphics, not music.
Well you are banned for being discriminatory / racist.

zero tolerance on that here .

IMG-6039.JPG

Fig 1: Setup with USB input.

TL: DR: I freaking love this DAC. It achieves all my goals at such a bargain price. Massive props to Ben&co, looking forward to other Soncoz products in the future.

I. Things I looked for when I was shopping for a DAC (decreasing order of importance):
✓ Excellent measurements! (First by WolfX-700, then confirmed by Amirm)
✓ Small footprint (As you can see from Fig 1, both the DAC&Amp can fit on my small desk where I study and work. I don't stack them because of heating concerns)
✓ Good customer support (@Ben1987 and @Sophia Ann are awesome. Though they might need to hire more people to help a lot more customers in the future :))
✓ XLR-out
✓ ESS chip (A little less relevant)
✓ Price (For me the price is the least important issue, but the performance/price value of this product is just too good. That said, I would have bought the Soncoz SGD1 if it didn't weight 6.6 lbs (3 kg) and was much bigger)

I've been using this setup every day for almost a week. Here is my personal experience with the LA-QXD1 DAC.

II. Method:
All the comparisons made are 1) qualitative 2) subjective & 3) made as compared to the following control: laptop SE output -> RCA -> SMSL SP200 Amp -> Headphones. My final setup is described below: laptop S/PDIF -> Toslink LA-QXD1 -> XLR -> SMSL SP200 -> Headphones. Fig 2 provides some illustrations:
Untitled.png

Fig 2: Illustrating control (orange) vs final setup.

III. Sonic Comparisons:
Sonically the LA-QXD1 is awesome. Things I noticed playing a 96khz/24 bit song: significantly better dynamic range, details, and bass performance. I want to stress the clarity and details that I've heard: I heard more details such as the breath of the violinist that I was listening to, the background instruments in Latin Jazz songs and etc. Even normal sound from Youtube/Spotify sounds so much livelier and better! The headphones I'm using has a potentially skull-rattling bass performance. This bass performance could only be brought out through the final setup. (Again, Everything is compared to control!)

There is a problem that is not specific to the LA-QXD1 DAC. Initially with USB DAC input, despite the XLR connections, I hear audible pops and noise when I play a song on Youtube (for example, so other owners can try out) or in some audio files. Switching to S/PDIF Toslink completely solved this issue so I'm sticking with that for now. I'm looking into an Intona USB isolator as a potential solution to this issue so I can come back to listening to DSD songs.

EDIT: I also experimented with plugging the DAC RCA into my Bluetooth speakers and compare that with Bluetooth pairing. Expectedly, the DAC RCA sounds so much better than Bluetooth pairing but 1) I think I read that Ben doesn't recommend using both outputs of the DAC at the same time, and 2) I need the portability of the Bluetooth Speakers.

IV. Other comments:
I just love the small footprint and quasi-portability of my setup. I like the looks of the product, but this is a personal taste. My suggestions for a future product have already been listed in this thread such as 1) togglable DAC/pre-amp mode 2) togglable RCA/XLR outputs so people can connect both outputs to different devices and switch between them at the DAC controls. I will report back to this thread in the future should I encounter reliability issues. But for now, I'm a Soncoz fan. It's awesome how ASR brings together great engineers from all over the world who create such great products.

Last edited:

MechEngVic

III. Sonic Comparisons:
Sonically the LA-QXD1 is awesome...I want to stress the clarity and details that I've heard: I heard more details such as the breath of the violinist that I was listening to, the background instruments in Latin Jazz songs and etc.

Agreed. Just got mine and have listened for just a few songs.

First Impressions: Enough has been said and is known about its features, build quality, and how awesome Ann and Ben are. I included part of kneading_kitten's comment because his impressions resemble my own. There is no comparison with the output of the laptop. Compared to my Topping D30, I am noticing a more evenly represented sound envelope. In A/B with the D30, I am hearing louder decay and sustain in certain passages (most notable in higher frequencies so far). This falls in line with kitten's violinist's breath and background instruments. I had my wife A/B me so I didn't know which unit was playing. I tried it at several volume levels and random volumes for A and B, and in each case the LA-QXD1 was more "breathy". I am hearing a lot of other examples of what I think are increases in sound quality over the D30, but nothing that I consider objective. Also, I am no longer getting clicks and pops between tracks on Foobar as I did with the D30. I wanted a DAC with two outputs, one for my headphone amp and one for my preamp. I am pleased so far. I don't even mind the scribble on the front!
Sm0.jpg

Top Bottom