• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As there have been issues with ESS chips in the past (e.g. SMSL M500) does SINAD change over time (and with warmth)?
That issue typically occurs with the power-hog ES9038 Pro chip, this one has the mobile version of the ES9038, so I guess there should be no problem with this unit.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need independent power input from USB bus. I tried powering it with a normal USB jack on the computer but it would not power on and Windows complained that too much power was being requested.

Does a good balanced DAC that works with only USB power exist at all? Don't think I've seen one.

3125b

Major Contributor
Julian Krause did a comparative review of the headphone outputs of a number of USB audio interfaces:
The Motu seems to be pretty good overall, but still a bit lacking in power (due to lack of power via USB, I guess).

I was looking at this very DAC, however importing these things gets expensive. Availability of many audio products is so much better in the US, it´s a real shame that there are no distributors for much of this in the EU. I´m sure there would be a market for it.

Last edited:

FreaK

I'm waited long for this review, but i'm a little bit disappointed. This unit falls short in performance compared to what WolfX-700 measured.

I'm among the first who got it, i also wrote a first impressions review in the other thread. I just updated the FW, it should stick to the max. volume now.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has knobs too and is even cheaper than this one! That thing needs a review!

I have an m4, I would be very curious on measurements. As a box to get high quality audio into and out of a computer it is pretty much perfect.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Seams nice but I think SMSL M300 MKII is overly better package for 45$ more.

gvl

Major Contributor
I'm waited long for this review, but i'm a little bit disappointed. This unit falls short in performance compared to what WolfX-700 measured.

I'm among the first who got it, i also wrote a first impressions review in the other thread. I just updated the FW, it should stick to the max. volume now.

Did the volume level stick on soft power-off on the original FW? As for performance, it is close, definitely whatever gap there is shouldn't be a concern.

BostonJack

Editor
this is an insanely capable unit for balanced outputs and for the price.
i'm aiming for the Dx3pro, as a DAC/preamp because I want the Bluetooth for ad hoc connections to
friend's devices, etc.

my existing D10 is probably completely adequate, but why let that stop me?

thank you Amir and crew! really looking forward to landing my next contract and maybe buying some Revel M16's.

Top Bottom