• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

gvl

Major Contributor
LA-QXD1 does not remember the volume. We provide different firmware with the default volume. The factory setting volume is currently the minimum volume.

Just to make sure, it doesn't even when powered off using the power button? As opposed to pulling the supply plug...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Someone asked for multitone. For some reason I forgot to post it. :) Here it is.

SONCOZ LA-QXD1 USB DAC Multitone Audio Measurements.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There was also a request for RCA Out:

SONCOZ LA-QXD1 USB DAC RCA Audio Measurements.png

Notice the noise increase to the left of our tone. Otherwise, distortion is below threshold of audibility. Numerically you lose a couple of dB compared to balanced.

Arthurdent

hey,amirm, can you measure the out-of-band performance of different filters?like testing D70 D90
1589870551499.png

Koeitje

Major Contributor
We struggled with this problem in the product development, and finally decided on the plug-and-play attribute. Thanks for your Suggestions, we will collect them and use them to improve in the subsequent products.
I think the best solution is to have 2 modes you can set the DAC to:
DAC mode = full power.
Pre-mode = volume control and saves volume set (and as protection if reset somehow falls back to low output)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
hey,amirm, can you measure the out-of-band performance of different filters?like testing D70 D90
I tried but am having trouble figuring out how to change the filters. I pushed the power button down for a while and saw the LEDs change but from there, I am lost. :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I think the best solution is to have 2 modes you can set the DAC to:
DAC mode = full power.
Pre-mode = volume control and saves volume set (and as protection if reset somehow falls back to low output)
That's pretty much what the alternative firmware versions give you - one defaults to low volume (Pre mode) and the other to full volume (DAC mode). This also means someone using Pre mode can't accidentally switch into DAC mode and blow speakers or eardrums.

bennetng

Major Contributor
I tried but am having trouble figuring out how to change the filters. I pushed the power button down for a while and saw the LEDs change but from there, I am lost. :)
I suppose the Chinese text says long press "pwr" to change filter selection, short press "pwr" to confirm. That means if you are currently in filter 1 and wish to use filter 3, you need to long press "pwr" two times, and short press "pwr" one time.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've noticed a lot of top quality and affordable DACS are coming out of China both for manufacturing and also the companies are Chinese companies (e.g Topping). I understand the manufacturing side would be better value in China, but I guess I'm surprised that the actual companies are so often of Chinese origin. I take it most of these companies are fairly new in the audio industry....is there any reason that such new companies seem to be besting long established audio companies....is it because they're based around measurement rather than marketing - it seems the audio world used to be based around marketing, and then sites like audiosciencereview have helped change the market, which has enabled new companies with a new measurement based approach to start proliferating? Perhaps Chinese companies are best placed to react to this change?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
That's pretty much what the alternative firmware versions give you - one defaults to low volume (Pre mode) and the other to full volume (DAC mode). This also means someone using Pre mode can't accidentally switch into DAC mode and blow speakers or eardrums.
Yeah that's good, but I don't like having to flash the firmware for that.

sinski

I am using Khadas now and i am waiting for the delivery of LA-QXD1. I hope, that LA-QXD1 will sound better, but maybe the simple Khadas Tone Board with no frills will deliver the better sound, who knows ... I am using KTB with very good linear ps, 30cm USB-Cable + Pi4/Mezzanine/Picoreplayer. What are the distortions peaks between 20 and 500 Hz ? Maybe it comes from the power supply ? The preproduction model was measuring in this area better, or ?

3125b

Major Contributor
is it because they're based around measurement rather than marketing

Thats the way I think of it.
You can get a decent smartphone for 100$ from China these days, noting is stopping them from making a great DAC for that price. It´s not that different after all, the main component (SoC and DAC chip) comes from a large company, the engineers implement it with the support circuitry, a case, some software and so on, and then they sell it with a reasonable profit margain and based on specs (that might or might not be so true, not too different from western companies in that respect).
If we´ve learned one thing from these reviews, than that with audio products especially, price and performance don´t necessarily correlate.

I hope, that LA-QXD1 will sound better, but maybe the simple Khadas Tone Board with no frills will deliver the better sound, who knows
Well, judging by Amirs measurements, there will be no audible difference if both DACs are in proper working condition.
If you are happier with the LA-QXD1 it´s either for features or feel-good.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using Khadas now and i am waiting for the delivery of LA-QXD1. I hope, that LA-QXD1 will sound better, but maybe the simple Khadas Tone Board with no frills will deliver the better sound, who knows ... I am using KTB with very good linear ps, 30cm USB-Cable + Pi4/Mezzanine/Picoreplayer. What are the distortions peaks between 20 and 500 Hz ? Maybe it comes from the power supply ? The preproduction model was measuring in this area better, or ?
From what we know about the measurements of "good DACS" and how that relates to perceived audibility differences, then it is probably difficult or impossible to hear a difference in DACS in proper blind level matched A/B testing. In other words, your subjective brain may detect differences in which you think is best just based on your biases of which DAC you want to sound better even if you have level-matched them. Or even simpler put, once DACS get to a certain level of quality as defined by their measurements then they all sound the same in reality.

EDIT: having said that, once you start applying Room EQ then you're potentially lowering SINAD (correct me if I'm wrong people), and therefore there's some sense in getting a DAC that measures exceptionally well so that you have more headroom in SINAD once all EQ has been applied. Although maybe this is only relevant if SINAD of the DAC changes with lowered output voltages, because EQ often involves lowering the preamp to allow for enough headroom for EQ boosts....but if the particular DAC had a stable/same SINAD even at lower output voltages then I guess EQ would not erode SINAD?

Last edited:

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
nice.

does it have other filter options?

where is it sold? their website is down for some reason.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your interest in our SONCOZ DACs.
You can directly email me to purchase: [email protected]. But the new batch of LA-QXD1 will be available at the end of this month. You can contact me then. Thanks

Best regards
Ann

sinski

From what we know about the measurements of "good DACS" and how that relates to perceived audibility differences, then it is probably difficult or impossible to hear a difference in DACS in proper blind level matched A/B testing. In other words, your subjective brain may detect differences in which you think is best just based on your biases of which DAC you want to sound better even if you have level-matched them. Or even simpler put, once DACS get to a certain level of quality as defined by their measurements then they all sound the same in reality.

EDIT: having said that, once you start applying Room EQ then you're potentially lowering SINAD (correct me if I'm wrong people), and therefore there's some sense in getting a DAC that measures exceptionally well so that you have more headroom in SINAD once all EQ has been applied. Although maybe this is only relevant if SINAD of the DAC changes with lowered output voltages, because EQ often involves lowering the preamp to allow for enough headroom for EQ boosts....but if the particular DAC had a stable/same SINAD even at lower output voltages then I guess EQ would not erode SINAD?

Maybe good DAC chips can deliver very similar output, but there is also output stage.
Do you want to say, that one opamp output stage powered with opamp (switched) ps regulator will sound the same, as the output stage built from very good high quality parts (paired transistors, good resistors and very good caps) powered with shunt power supply ?
I doubt very much. I have build the Buffalo DAC and compared it; KTB is very good, no doubts, but Buffalo performs in all areas better. Deeper bass, better resolution, better dynamics, softer, warmer more analogue sound, better 3d stereo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom