• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

Zeeb

Can you now safely use the XLR + RCA outputs simultaneously (with USB input)?

(The older development thread said no I think.)

What about XLR analogue + coax digital outputs simultaneously (with USB input)?

[I notice the big brother SGD1 can use XLR and RCA together at the same time, plus it has a remote but it is twice the price.]

MechEngVic

That did not change anything - I already have installed what the website mentioned.
OK, here's what I've got working. I'm including images with the pertinent parts pointed out. I hope this helps you get going.
dsd1.jpg
dsd2.jpg
dsd3.jpg
dsd4.jpg
dsd5.jpg

Massimo

[I notice the big brother SGD1 can use XLR and RCA together at the same time, plus it has a remote but it is twice the price.]

Yes, according to their website:

"Analog balanced XLR and single-ended RCA outputs can be connected at the same time,The The two interfaces can be simultaneously connected to their corresponding power amplifier devices (amplifier/power amplifier)."

https://www.soncozaudio.com/products/la-qxd1-dac-for-the-home-and-office/

MechEngVic

I have the USB out to my stereo preamp and the XLR out to my headphone amp. I use them simultaneously when mixing music. I turn down the preamp volume when listening to the headphone amp and turn down the headphone amp volume when listening to the stereo. So far no problems. If you want to load both at the same time (like to power two amps at the same time), you might have to be the pioneer and let us know how it goes. I have had both amp and preamp running for short periods of time with no issues.

Zeeb

Yes, according to their website

If you want to load both at the same time (like to power two amps at the same time), you might have to be the pioneer and let us know how it goes.

Great, thank you. I am comparing this and big brother SGD1 for direct connection to my Genelec 8030s (and another line-out to my kitchen powered speakers.)

I guess in the development they didn't have separate op amps for the 2 outputs or something. I guess simple line-outs don't bear big loads if they are designed to usual standards (?)

Last edited:

kukocz

Forum Donor

atombaer

Did anyone try to use this DAC with one of the typical Raspberry Pi power supplies?
They are rated at 5 or 5.1V and 3A and (thats the reason I'm considering it) they usually have an ON/OFF switch just behind the usb connector.
I'm thinking about getting this DAC but I need an option to turn it on and off without too much hassle.

MechEngVic

Did anyone try to use this DAC with one of the typical Raspberry Pi power supplies?
They are rated at 5 or 5.1V and 3A and (thats the reason I'm considering it) they usually have an ON/OFF switch just behind the usb connector.
I'm thinking about getting this DAC but I need an option to turn it on and off without too much hassle.
I use the basic Raspberry Pi power supply with no switch. It's a great supply. Leaving this DAC on is your best best if you can set it up that way.

obwohl

Try the older version.
Now i switched the volume to max. I can hear some music now. And bingo: The old sacd-plugin did it.
Any way to get the volume down? It's far to loud at maximum volumen.

Last edited:

MechEngVic

If you are in DSD output mode here
dsd5.jpg

it shouldn't play a .dsf file at all in PCM mode. Try uninstalling new decoder and installing older version. And try messing with Windows "select playback device" in the bottom right hand corner device.

porotikos

If you are in DSD output mode here
View attachment 89784
it shouldn't play a .dsf file at all in PCM mode. Try uninstalling new decoder and installing older version. And try messing with Windows "select playback device" in the bottom right hand corner device.
my preferences menu is quite different... do you have an older version? no dsd audio device menu for me...

obwohl

Can somebody explain, what the "output mode" "PCM" really does? Is it true, that the quality would be the same in result (because my soncoz does the conversion?) but would be Volume-controllable?

Top Bottom