• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

adriano93

Thanks @origiri @adriano93 very much for help in testing and feedback!This is a very difficult bug to catch, partly because of the time it takes to reproduce the problem, but also because it happens irregularly.We tried various things and finally solved this problem by updating XMOS's latest USB library functions.
Thank your guys again.
Upgrade as usual:
Download DFU files from HERE and after unzipping, you'll find two files“LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V410.bin” and “LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V400.bin”.

Change log:2020-07-03
Fixed occasional no - output issues.
Notice:
1. "LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V400.bin" is default factory firmware version and without hardware volume control;
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V410.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;
Would be great if this problem fixed now. Will report in a few days...
Thank you for your support.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received mine this week. Its a solid DAC.

Just a point for anyone considering buying because of the digital coax output- its not massively clear in the blurb, but that output only works with the USB input. It wont output anything if feeding the DAC from the toslink or coax inputs.

Probably wont affect many but that was one of my reasons for buying

sinski

[QUOTE="
1. "LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V400.bin" is default factory firmware version and without hardware volume control;
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V410.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;[/QUOTE]

Which hardware control ? What do you mean exactly ?

mt196

[QUOTE="
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V410.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;

Which hardware control ? What do you mean exactly ?[/QUOTE]
I think the buttons on the case, the ones with + and -

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

Which hardware control ? What do you mean exactly ?
I think 'hardware volume control' refers to the amp you're using it with, not the DAC. The LA-QXD1 doesn't remember volume settings over power cycles. Factory default is to start safely at low volume and let the user raise it as necessary which is good for those using it connected directly to a power amp (without a hardware volume control), but frustrating for those who want to use it as a pure DAC because they will be using their amp's volume control. To satisfy both use cases Soncoz released an alternative firmware version that sets volume to maximum on power up. At least that's how I understood it - I don't have one so I can't say from experience. The description could certainly do with improvement for clarity.

See this earlier post and the series in the other thread where it was initially discussed in case I've got it all wrong...

Brab

Just received mine this week. Its a solid DAC.

Just a point for anyone considering buying because of the digital coax output- its not massively clear in the blurb, but that output only works with the USB input. It wont output anything if feeding the DAC from the toslink or coax inputs.

Probably wont affect many but that was one of my reasons for buying

Oh. Me too. Still waiting for delivery but you've saved me some headscratching. Bit disappointed though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh. Me too. Still waiting for delivery but you've saved me some headscratching. Bit disappointed though.

Yeah, a little. Spent 20 minutes flapping when I first connected coax in and coax out as when you do that, it silences the input, so not only was it not outputting, nothing was playing on the soncoz either. Panic!

spiritofjerry

It happened to me that after disconnecting XLRs to my Amp, the DAC "locked" so no sound output until I powered it off and on again

Was this after the update to the latest firmware? I've been getting the dropouts, too. Usually during a Zoom call, which is really not helpful. I just updated to the latest firmware (v4.10) and I'm hoping it does the trick. I was not changing cables when it happens, it just happens randomly.

MechEngVic

I have a question. is it possible to turn off the lights or even the whole unit?
LA-QXD1 is plug-and-play and has no switch. If you want to turn off the lights, you can only unplug the power cord connected to the machine.
For under 10$ you can buy a wifi outlet on Amazon and control the on and off with your phone or tablet.

MechEngVic

Was this after the update to the latest firmware? I've been getting the dropouts, too. Usually during a Zoom call, which is really not helpful. I just updated to the latest firmware (v4.10) and I'm hoping it does the trick. I was not changing cables when it happens, it just happens randomly.
Did you install both the xmos diver and the thesycon driver?

MechEngVic

Yes. I’ve been getting random dropouts from day one. A lot of us have, if you read around.
I haven't had it happen to me even once, but I installed only the thesycon driver. I wonder two things: Why are both drivers needed? And, could both drivers installed be causing conflicts?

MechEngVic

I have had only one issue with this DAC so far. I installed the max volume firmware, but every so often, when the unit is powered on, it has reverted back to the low volume setting. I wonder if the dropouts that are happening to some are volume drops, or related somehow. Just out loud thinking, because it seems Ben is figuring it out anyway.

spiritofjerry

Also, do the dropouts happen with all the input sources?
If you're not experiencing them, I wouldn't worry yourself with it. The DAC just ceases to output signal (all signal). It's a pretty widespread issue. The issue you're experiencing with volume reverting to min I've never experienced, but I also never turn off the DAC.

BTW, there is only one driver, the Theyscon driver. The other is a firmware for the DAC itself. They differ because the driver is installed on the OS, and the firmware is installed on the DAC. Two different things.

atonik

Forum Donor
Me too I'm also still experiencing this. Hope that we can get a fix soon.

Experiencing the same. Have to plug out/plug in usb-c to get it to work. Don't believe I've experienced it while PC was going to standby and back but when I had to restart the PC due to win 10 updates or whatnot.

origiri

Experiencing the same. Have to plug out/plug in usb-c to get it to work. Don't believe I've experienced it while PC was going to standby and back but when I had to restart the PC due to win 10 updates or whatnot.

You should update to v4.10 if you have not. So far its working fine for me after updating to v4.10!

Top Bottom