• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

origiri

Can you ask for a replacement? I leave mine on literally always and i never have experienced the problems you are describing. Best of luck

I should wait to see if Ben is able to fix it with the next update. If it doesn't then I should get a replacement and Ben can test this unit. Maybe this unit is really defective.

MechEngVic

I'm using windows 10.

1. USB B to usb A to pc for data
2. USB A to usb C to power strip usb outlet for power. The usb port on the power strip is rated 5V = 2.4A
3. I installed XMOS driver as per your online manual xmos driver
4. Flashed v3.04 bin file
5. Installed soncoz driver v4.82 soncoz driver I have reinstalled the soncoz driver after flashing v304. But still the same issue.

View attachment 69631

I didn't even know there was an xmos driver until you mentioned it in your comment. All I ever installed was the thesycon driver v4.82 and have had perfect performance from my unit connected to usb to my laptop using windows 10, (have not updated to 2004 windows). I even still have the drivers installed from my previous dac (topping d30) and have had no conflicts. I use foobar 2000 and streaming services mainly with my laptop. Maybe uninstall the xmos driver and leave only the thesycon?

Tks

Major Contributor
One thing I don't get is, if all DAC chips sound the same (as long as specs are close), why would there be any need for more than one manufacturer? Price, of course, if someone can make one that sounds just as good for less, but the prices seem to be consistent too.

Same reason there is multiple computer manufacturers even though there are virtually two desktop CPU vendors (Intel, and AMD), is like ESS and AKM.

It's not just about "how it sounds", check out the feature list of an RME ADI-2 DAC, you'll see the relevant differences.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I didn't even know there was an xmos driver until you mentioned it in your comment. All I ever installed was the thesycon driver v4.82 and have had perfect performance from my unit connected to usb to my laptop using windows 10, (have not updated to 2004 windows). I even still have the drivers installed from my previous dac (topping d30) and have had no conflicts. I use foobar 2000 and streaming services mainly with my laptop. Maybe uninstall the xmos driver and leave only the thesycon?
Thesycon license their driver to many (most?) of the companies using XMOS chips, part of which involves rebranding it for them. XMOS supply example firmware updater code for MacOS, but for Windows they just point to Thesycon.

MpNormy

Hi there, first message in the forum. Today my la-qxd1 arrived. The unboxing experience was fantastic, i loved it. Regarding the unit, nothing to say. No defects in the machining, no creaks, nothing. The performance was as expected, transparent as it should be. I would like to thank Ann for the incredible service and patience.

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
Hi there, first message in the forum. Today my la-qxd1 arrived. The unboxing experience was fantastic, i loved it. Regarding the unit, nothing to say. No defects in the machining, no creaks, nothing. The performance was as expected, transparent as it should be. I would like to thank Ann for the incredible service and patience.
It's my pleasure, nice customer:).

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
Hi, just took delivery of a QXD via very speedy delivery from Keith @Purité Audio . I have a functionality question- I have just PM Ben but is it easier to send to you Sophia Ann?
Yes, it is great to purchase SONCOZ DACs from Keith @Purité Audio, who is our kind distributor in the United Kingdom.

MpNormy

I have a question. is it possible to turn off the lights or even the whole unit?

Ultor

Hi,
I hesitate between this DAC and the modius, same price, seems to be the same performance (not sure which one is better for my needs (usb in and xlr out) the choice is very hard...
Someone have an advice ?

MpNormy

Hi,
I hesitate between this DAC and the modius, same price, seems to be the same performance (not sure which one is better for my needs (usb in and xlr out) the choice is very hard...
Someone have an advice ?
Would say go for availability. Both are high quality product and you won't hear a difference between the two. Personally, i'do go with Soncoz because they seem like they really care about their product and are committed to it

yejun

Hi,
Someone have an advice ?
The major difference is ess vs akm.

EMMA

I have a question. is it possible to turn off the lights or even the whole unit?
LA-QXD1 is plug-and-play and has no switch. If you want to turn off the lights, you can only unplug the power cord connected to the machine.

Ben1987

Audio Company
Me too I'm also still experiencing this. Hope that we can get a fix soon.
Tested it right now a few days and the problem still exists for me.

Thanks @origiri @adriano93 very much for help in testing and feedback!This is a very difficult bug to catch, partly because of the time it takes to reproduce the problem, but also because it happens irregularly.We tried various things and finally solved this problem by updating XMOS's latest USB library functions.
Thank your guys again.
Upgrade as usual:
Download DFU files from HERE and after unzipping, you'll find two files“LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V410.bin” and “LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V401.bin”.

Change log:2020-07-10
Fixed occasional no - output issues.
Notice:
1. "LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V401.bin" is default factory firmware version and without hardware volume control;
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V410.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;

Last edited:

MpNormy

Thanks @origiri @adriano93 very much for help in testing and feedback!This is a very difficult bug to catch, partly because of the time it takes to reproduce the problem, but also because it happens irregularly.We tried various things and finally solved this problem by updating XMOS's latest USB library functions.
Thank your guys again.
Upgrade as usual:
Download DFU files from HERE and after unzipping, you'll find two files“LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V410.bin” and “LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V400.bin”.

Change log:2020-07-03
Fixed occasional no - output issues.
Notice:
1. "LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V400.bin" is default factory firmware version and without hardware volume control;
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V410.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;
Awesome, thank you for the hard work.

Top Bottom