• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

Labjr

Major Contributor
The OPA is easy to get, and it’s the one that gets fried usually.
Oh, I thought you could find them? Myself, I'd never buy a Soncoz product. They obviously don't test their designs before releasing them for sale.

EMMA

Oh, I thought you could find them? Myself, I'd never buy a Soncoz product. They obviously don't test their designs before releasing them for sale.
No product can be released without testing. Each of our units has been subjected to aging testing. The units in the sound check room have been working normally for several years. The difference of peripheral equipment and electricity environment may lead to accidents.
Even if there is a problem we will not escape, we are happy to help you solve it.

theman

Hi all. This might have been answered but does it remember the input when powered off/on? (Like really powered off for an extended time). I want to use it with optical output from a TV at my folks place, and everything should work like before after a power outage. Also is it ok to use it with balanced and unbalanced at the same time?

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Hi all. This might have been answered but does it remember the input when powered off/on? (Like really powered off for an extended time). I want to use it with optical output from a TV at my folks place, and everything should work like before after a power outage. Also is it ok to use it with balanced and unbalanced at the same time?
Hi, it remembers input after power out. About rca and XLR, I think someone a while ago said it didn't do both simultaneously, can check for you when I get home in the evening, (never tried that) if someone doesn't chime in.

TwoEars

I find this Q&A helpful.

And this article helps me narrow down the filters to use:

Labjr

Major Contributor
They raised the price. It now cost even more to be a guinea pig for one of these prototypes.

Last edited:

theman

They raised the price. It will now cost you more to be a guinea pig for one of these prototypes.
Was it just the first batch that had problems or has there been reports of later batches as well?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think the world has moved on since early 2020 which is 3 yrs ago!

funnily enough the Schitt Modius is comparable but less... as always we're all expecting headphone support, displays, remotes and the like

the charts are nice but everything charts nice now, maybe not so much in 2020!

theman

Yeah well, I saw one selling used for maybe an ok price and I want to swap it in for another dac (that I want another place) that has balanced/unbalanced output for karaoke (straight/between a mixer for karaoke). Technically I dont even need dual output, and with a single output I could still use an Y-adapter but with xlr and phono connectors I don’t have to mess with the cables that are already installed.

It doesn’t need to be the world’s dac, just better than a cheapo no-name aliexpress:)

brk303

Got mine today, using coaxial IN and XLR out. Updated to max vol firmware, the only problem is when I turn it on, it always switches to USB input.
I plan to put in in a rack, so I will not be able to reach the button to manually switch from USB to coaxial. Is there any way to make it default to coaxial ?

Schmar

Could I connect the RCA out to a subwoofer for a 2.1 setup? How would I solve the crossover in that case?

Kingofspoons

Hi, first time posting. I bought LA-QXD1 off eBay, so don't have any warranty complaints.
It's broken.

1) when attempting firmware upgrade to max volume default with hardware control, I get error code. 0xEE000003. Does anyone know what that means?

2) also I have noticed the top of the box gets really pretty warm. After reading, is next maybe for me to open and identify inside exactly where is getting hot?

3) I have bad distortion playing 96 and 192 Khz files. At 44, once in a minute or so I can here what sounds like a CD skipping.

I probably should have led with that last. I don't think I can return this, but before I try to I'm asking for any suggestions here. I've been reading this forum a lot lately, and think my next digital adventure will be for USB dac.

It's been allo pi hats, how I got into this. Got mad because someone used the phrase 'legacy formats' when I was buying CDs. Anyways I feel motherless now. This dac was intended as a new leaf. In case the three problems above ring any bells, please let me know. I can solder, but nothing super tiny.

Thank you.

gvl

Major Contributor
Opamps die on in these, once dead they heat up good, so chances are this is what it is, open it and check opamp temperature with your finger but be careful as hot means it will be painful if you keep your finger for more than half a sec. Opamps can be replaced but some skill is required. See earlier in this thread, there should be related information if memory serves.

Kingofspoons

Thank you. I'll delve deeper than the comparison chart next time I get gear. I've been able to return it.

Next dac should have been a USB dac, but it's looking like I haven't got the pi based thing out of my system yet. Fun to have to think a little as I put it together. I appreciate your reply

UltraPro

Hi! Am I mistaken or is Soncoz's site now only in Chinese? Is there an English variant, site where to download drivers and firmware from? Before there was.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi! Am I mistaken or is Soncoz's site now only in Chinese? Is there an English variant, site where to download drivers and firmware from? Before there was.
Looks like it.

Google translate which is built into Chrome works very well though to seamlessly translate the website to English, since all text is in HTML.

Brab

Mine's been working fine for about four years, after an initial repair. Just put it in my main system and am surprised at how good it sounds.

Top Bottom