• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

sonarworks, dirac, acourate

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Nope. But, I have extensively followed Acourate, Audiolense, etc. I think I know what their key features, advantages, disadvanges are. They are certainly, good, competent tools. It could well be, but not necessarily, that a more carefully tweaked setup using the more complex features of those might measure better and/or sound more pleasing. But, I am in no hurry to find out. Dirac sounds mighty good to me out of the box with no target curve modifications.

You can, of course, try it for free for 30 days. My hunch is you will get much further with it in that time than with more complex tools due to learning curve issues.

Olli

Forum Donor
I get you point. I am also pretty impressed with DIrac already and hoping for even better bass integration with there new 2 .0 version coming this September.

However I am curious about the other solutions. Audiolense is even offering a 3 month refund if you do't like it. I will try that out later this year.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am pleased there were some discussions on those DRC. Here is my situation. I have an HT and I am pleased by the (non optimized) performance. 5 + 3 subwoofers in a quasi-Geddes configuration. Let me list my hardware (Interim for 2-ch, likely to remain with better subs for HT):
3 JBL LSR 308 for (L, R, C)
2 JBL LSR 305 for Surround
2 Parts Express Subwoofers (these may be ported, not my preference but I wanted to go cheap :D)
1 Denon AVR-X3400H
1 miniDSP 2x4 willing to go purchase an 8-channel DAC such as Focusrite (<$500), miniDSP 4 x 10 (<$600) or even OkotoResearch OktoDAC (_= $1300)
Nordost Odin Cables ........................................................................................................................................................................NOT!! ( I had to post this) :p
On HT I am pleased. On 2-Ch and critical listening, not so. I find myself reverting to Headphones in spite of the absence of tactile stimulation and the sound inside the head presentation.
I will have to find ways to integrate a system that plays music and HT without having to re-wire. Connections will not not be straightforward. Ultimately there wil be 2 systems ... End of the road 2-Ch and similar HT (Powered speakers, better subs, Dolby Atmos 7.1 , etc. I like the idea of using an AVR rather than a Prepro. I get a few channels of amplification for free ... ;) ...

I would like to have a DRC that allows the following:

1) Integration of the 3 subs with the HT speakers ( 3 LSR 308 + 2 LSR 305). No Correction on the 5 HT speakers .. The Denon AVR will see a 5.1 system with the .1 handled by a corrected 3 subwoofers + DRC
2) Integration of the 3 subs with just 2 of the speakers 2 X LSR 308 ,, Would like to cross-over at 80 Hz ... and correct up to 300 Hz .. Will experiment further up later. The Denon sees itself in 2.1 pure or whatever they have ... In on 2.channel it sends the crossed-over signal to the speakers and the ouput to the subwoofer that it would see as a .1 ... Connections are to be determined.

I have a spare Lenovo Thinkpad with 8 GB of RAM 256 GB of SSD, that I dedicate for the purpose. It has an i5 , SSD and 8 GB of RAM.. Will likely run TIdal and Spotify as the sources or Foobar + My music on a NAS ...

Acourate?
Audiolense?
Dirac?

For some odd reasons , I am leaning toward Acourate ... I know nothing about Acourate, Dirac or Audiolense. Asking the collective.. Could have been a thread by itself but this is a thread about available DRC ...
Budget is the $320 of Acourate ... plus if really needed the 8-channel crossover DSP ... between 500 and $1300...

Top Bottom