• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Something wrong with Joe Satriani's latest album Shapeshifting

mile8

Hi all, my first post :)

It seems to me there is something seriously wrong with audio quality of Joe Satriani's latest Shapeshifting. A lot of un-wanted distorsion and clipping on many instruments. Perhaps something happened in the mastering and/or source master? I find the Spotify version better but hires listening with Tidal or Qobuz is next to impossible. Take a listen for example #3 All for Love, first minute is enough to hear what I'm talking about. Such a shame, I've been Satriani's fan for decades.

D

Deleted member 28849

If I can find it on Amazon I'll give it a listen.
I like Live is San Francisco, but I have several of his albums. Saw him live several years ago but I was sitting in the 2nd balcony and you know bass frequencies don't seem to travel upwards. So it didn't sound all that good in that seating location.

D

Deleted member 28849

I don't hear what you're saying listening on Amazon HD. The album in question is Ultra HD which I believe is probably a 24 bit recording and it sounds like a high resolution recording to me and probably uncompressed. Live in San Francisco is also a 24 bit recording.

My connection is Fiber optics high speed, i7 computer to usb out dvd quality to external dac.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi all, my first post :)

It seems to me there is something seriously wrong with audio quality of Joe Satriani's latest Shapeshifting. A lot of un-wanted distorsion and clipping on many instruments. Perhaps something happened in the mastering and/or source master? I find the Spotify version better but hires listening with Tidal or Qobuz is next to impossible. Take a listen for example #3 All for Love, first minute is enough to hear what I'm talking about. Such a shame, I've been Satriani's fan for decades.
Welcome Aboard @mile8.

Top Bottom