• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Something very strange

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Shout when you see it.
IMG_20200801_175656.jpg

mansr

Major Contributor
Not sure which of all the oddities you're thinking of, but you should let Qobuz know about the MQA content so they can complain to the label.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that it does a sample conversion from 88.2 to 96khz for no good reason or that MQA is supposed to store all the info in a 44.1/48khz 16 bit container and there is no such thing as 352khz mqa?

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that it does a sample conversion from 88.2 to 96khz for no good reason or that MQA is supposed to store all the info in a 44.1/48khz 16 bit container and there is no such thing as 352khz mqa?
And its on qobuz, which doesn't "do" mqa

(the 88 to 96 upsample is mine. One dac won't play 88 nicely)

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure which of all the oddities you're thinking of, but you should let Qobuz know about the MQA content so they can complain to the label.

The really odd bit is that I transferred this from tidal library to qobuz when moved recently. On tidal it was the only >192 album I found. I think they found a way to cheat the mqa flags. No other qobuz file has reported mqa

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Every mqa file I've seen (although only on tidal) was 24 bit iirc

mansr

Major Contributor
The really odd bit is that I transferred this from tidal library to qobuz when moved recently. On tidal it was the only >192 album I found. I think they found a way to cheat the mqa flags. No other qobuz file has reported mqa
Labels occasionally deliver MQA to Qobuz despite it not being ordered. MQA's poster child 2L, for instance, has done this.

Are you able to capture a few seconds of the track without any MQA decoding or other processing? It's easy enough to check whether it is MQA or Roon misdetected it. There have been reports of the latter too.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Labels occasionally deliver MQA to Qobuz despite it not being ordered. MQA's poster child 2L, for instance, has done this.

Are you able to capture a few seconds of the track without any MQA decoding or other processing? It's easy enough to check whether it is MQA or Roon misdetected it. There have been reports of the latter too.
This is indeed a 2L recording! Some nordic classical comp!

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

No capturing ability. See previous re 2L. Suspect they've just sent qobuz same files as tidal. Presumably the streaming companies stream whatever they are given but specify certain limits /format restrictions. Presume they don't check automatically and the file might just present as standard flac on a simple scan

mansr

Major Contributor
Write to Qobuz and tell them you're disappointed to find MQA in their catalogue. It's important to push back against this crap.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Write to Qobuz and tell them you're disappointed to find MQA in their catalogue. It's important to push back against this crap.

I'll let them know. I'm more ambivalent to than I am anti mqa but I get the strong feelings anything resembling drm and snake oily generates.

Top Bottom