• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some times I think I've lived too long...'cuz I really don't get it!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's Chipotle?

S
Think of a Subway style (you go down the line telling them what you want) Mexican restaurant, famous for their burritos and bowls.

Many have Klipsch Heresy speakers for their sound system (they partnered).

They have 2500 locations, including in the UK.

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's Chipotle?

Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., often known simply as Chipotle, is an American chain of fast casual restaurants in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, and France, specializing in tacos and Mission-style burritos.

Apparently, they've even invaded the UK! Panama, however, is Chipotle free.

Chipotle-UK.jpg

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch at Chipotle??? Sound quality? I found a "review" from a Klipsch community forum - see below. o_O (I think this somewhat off-topic sub-thread still reflects on pop music/culture, and has a bit of good old ASR style "bad implementation critique" thrown in. I also found it humorous that spellcheck suggests "Lipstick" for the unrecognized word "Klipsch".)

Chipotle - Klipsch 2.jpg

All Chipotle restaurants designed since 2009 have an architectural element known throughout the organization as “the box”. This prominent architectural structure houses the beverage station, restrooms and conceals two to four Klipsch Heresy III speakers. The horn midrange, tweeter and conical bass driver are exposed through the wood via an embossed pattern, which follows the geometric lines initiated by drivers.

And a Klipsch Heresy owner writes:

Yesterday I wandered across this article about Chipotle restaurants using Klipsch Heresy's for their sound system. This intrigued me; I'd only visited a Chipotle once, about a month ago, and failed to notice the Heresy installation or the sound. That should be a subtle indication that the sound wasn't impressive, which is contrary to my experience with Heresy's I have in my condo.

Fast forward to today, when a coworker and I were out on a service call and he wanted to eat at Chipotle for lunch. I thought this would be a great chance to revisit the sound system. It didn't impress me at all. Thank goodness Klipsch didn't demand a logo be placed near the speakers; it wouldn't be good advertising.

I think it's the acoustics of the restaurant and the speaker placement which killed everything about the Heresy that I love. While you could argue that, at background music levels, that you won't hear much to impress, I think otherwise.

One wall was brick; the ceiling was all steel and girder beams. With the speakers mounted away from any boundary walls (the plywood fascia didn't count as a contributor in my eyes), there was no bass. Chipotle could pretty much have tossed the woofer and not affected the sound. I know some people consider the Heresy light in the bass department but that hasn't been my experience. The live acoustics muddied the sound.

Here was a case of a sound system thrown together without any professional advice as to the application and installation. Taming the live acoustics would be one component of the solution. Since placing the Heresy's at floor level wouldn't be practical and I don't think ceiling placement would improve the bass either, the addition of a subwoofer, hidden behind the plywood architecture is almost mandatory. I wonder if LaScala's replaced the Heresy's in the same location would add that tactile bass at background music levels?

Something needed to be done otherwise the Chipotle/Heresy marriage is nothing to brag about.

JeffGB

I'm older (64) and I really enjoy a lot of the new pop music. I'm listening to EMENEM Music To Be Murdered By ATM. I think he is a genius. Before that, I was listening to Billie Eillish's album, which I think is great, outside of the excessive use of Autotune etc. I used to be pretty stuck in my ways, like most people. I listened to the same records as when I was younger. Somewhere along the line I became bored with the older stuff and began collecting the latest pop/rap/whatever. It's been a very interesting ride.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I probably haven't "gotten it" since all the "big" names turned into "song and dance" acts.

I don't get the "rap" thing either, probably because I'm not personally aspiring to be an inner-city hustler/pimp/thug/drug dealer/cop killer of some sort.

So, when I semiannually cruise the current Top 40, I see what the intro sounds like, skip into the first verse, skip to see if there's a bridge or not, skip to see if the "second verse is same as the first", skip to the crescendo near the end (just to check that box off), and skip on to the next in the list.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, in the popular realm has stuck with me for a long long time.

I know who some of them are, can admire their ability to rake in the cash, but take it to heart and hum it in the shower or try to pick it out on a fretboard, no.

Hmmm... can not express it better. ‘Tis true, ‘Tis sad; ‘Tis sad, ‘Tis true...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Archsam

What do you guys think about Babymetal? I discovered them through my friend's 10 year old son. I can't say I hate them.....

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you guys think about Babymetal? I discovered them through my friend's 10 year old son. I can't say I hate them.....

Awesome.

But one could accuse me of being a weaboo, so...

Archsam

Neddy

Love your new avatar!!
Just found this thread - still trying to unpack it all (lots of ad revenue generated for YT here).
I really really like a lot of the newer stuff - the creativity (including video) is astounding (and always liked Gaga, too).
Didn't expect to see references to Pat Martino & Lee Morgan crop up here, tho.
In the meantime, Here's MY favorite Havana clip:

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
For me, it's pretty generic pop, flavor of the month. But I'll admit to not being a pop fan so maybe there's greatness in there I'm not hearing.

At the moment, I'm listening to Suitcase Junket from up your neck of the woods.

Rather fun!!

Top Bottom