• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some practical annoyances of audio gear

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
'Some practical annoyances of audio gear'

• On off switches at the back of the box.
  • Bright LED lights that cannot be turned off or at least dimmed.

Neddy

Not exactly on-topic, but close:

On the house phone with Wells Fargo Advisors, after getting stuck setting up an account online.

(Customer rep returns from talking to supervisor)
"Ok, now we have one last step. Thank you for your patience."
"Uh huh."
"I'll need to send an access code to your cell phone."
"I don't have a cell phone. I have a computer."
"Then I will send you the access code in a text message."
"Where will I receive this text message?"
"On your cellphone."
"I don't have a cellphone. Why don't you send the code to my email?"
"Because we have to verify your identity."
"I'm talking to you right now. I'm me."
"Yes."
And you have already identified me, based on the information you have on file?"
"Yes."
"So why do you need to send me an access code?"
"To verify your identity."
"You've already verified my identity."
"Yes, but we have to send you this access code."
"Why don't you just tell me what the access code is?"
"I don't have access to that information."
"If I borrow my neighbor's cellphone, will that do?"
"Yes."
"How will that verify my identity?"
"Could I place you on hold again please?"
"Uh huh."
(goes to talk to supervisor, again)

Would have made a great Goon Show episode - Who's On First? :eek:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although tempting to buy into audio streamers which are nicely packaged as hifi devices, there's always the potential for rapid obsolescence, especially if use of an app, proprietary add-ons like Adobe Air, or logging into someone else's service is required. And in some cases, use of said services may divulge more about yourself than you really want to reveal.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although tempting to buy into audio streamers which are nicely packaged as hifi devices, there's always the potential for rapid obsolescence, especially if use of an app, proprietary add-ons like Adobe Air, or logging into someone else's service is required. And in some cases, use of said services may divulge more about yourself than you really want to reveal.
That's why I've stuck with my Squeezebox Touch. The hardware may have been discontinued, but there's a whole community keeping the server software current.

S.

Aprude51

This is another reason it’s such a tragedy that many reviews devote so much space to describing “sound quality”. They leave out evaluations of things like device usability & company support. It seems like the majority of streamer & amplifier reviews completely gloss over usability (e.g. how well does automatic signal sensing work, is the display legible, is the volume control appropriately sensitive).

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
-crashing software updates
-poorly implemented balanced connections.
-tiny multi-function buttons
-too-many-function knobs
-deep, nested menu trees
-cryptic labeling
-small/no volume controls
-cheesy printed-cover solenoid remotes.
-huge, heavy, pointless remotes
-OS-limited app control
-no pop protection switching power and inputs.
-large and heavy for no reason
-specialty inputs/outputs ( e.g. 1/8 optical)
-illegible/cryptic displays

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I've stuck with my Squeezebox Touch. The hardware may have been discontinued, but there's a whole community keeping the server software current.

S.
Yes. This is why the Chromecast Audio discontinuation bothers me. Open Source can be buggy (so can Chromecast) but it will be there.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I partly agree and like having easy control via any web browser, but radio stations still rely on someone else's database not only for station directory, but for links to compatible streams. OTOH, it's open-source software, and if someone wants to point the software to another database, I suppose it's possible.

Hipper

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't buy streamers. You can build them yourself using free software and cheap SBCs the size of cigarette boxes. You're going to be better off learning to support yourself.
Completely agree. Sooner or later all closed streaming appliances seem to get abandoned by the manufacturer, and the services to support stop working. Where as with a pi you can just install a more current distribution if your requirements change. And when it's so old it gets abandoned it was really cheap, and will still have other uses.

Top Bottom