• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some measurements of Holo Audio Spring DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
EDIT: @WolfX-700 has measured holo spring, holo spring 2 and holo May. I suggest you check out those accurate measurements instead.

Enclosed here are measurements by third party (and reseller!) Wildism Audio. Note that they can easily be cherry picked, but let's see how a $1600 R2R-ladder DAC performs.

54jT7Us.jpg

Linearity test:
lin.png

While linearity issues seem benign (noise rather than glitches) for the Spring DAC, compared to the schiit modi multibit we see the same linearity before glitching out at -120dBFS. So not particularily great.

H6m1cfs.png

RMS level:
RMS.png

THD+N Ratio (tested in NOS mode for some reason):
THDN.png

SNR (weighted?) :
SN.png

No test of digital jitter unfortunately! Considering a spring 2 is being released with "femto clocks", I don't think the original's jitter performance is going to be stellar. If interested you can compare measurements with Schiit's only AP report for a multibit product of theirs, APx555 Report for Modi Multibit.

Performance of the Holo Audio Spring does not seem awful for a ladder DAC, but it is hardly exemplary at their asking price, whether it is worth it at $1600 is doubtful.

Hong-Kong source of these measurements: Wildism.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Performance of the Holo Audio Spring does not seem awful for a ladder DAC, but it is hardly exemplary at their asking price, whether it is worth it at $1600 is VERY doubtful.

Performance seems very good. Main issue with this DAC is that you can buy better DAC for less money, say SMSL VMV D1.

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
Performance seems very good. Main issue with this DAC is that you can buy better DAC for less mones, say SMSL D1.
Maybe we are spoiled with performance of cheap devices. It is not bad, no.

Stereophile also has some very detailed measurements for the Level 3 unit too.

https://www.stereophile.com/content...ned-edition-level-3-da-processor-measurements
Awesome, totally missed this thanks. Mediocre J-test now confirmed? right channel is OK, left channel glitching in review unit.

atl0gzh.png

EDIT: another unit with proper jitter specs is shown down below by another member :)

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor

Awesome, totally missed this thanks. Mediocre J-test now confirmed ;)

atl0gzh.png

When there's a problem with only one channel you have to ask yourself if that is related to the particular unit you're testing and not to the design. ;)

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
When there's a problem with only one channel you have to ask yourself if that is related to the particular unit you're testing and not to the design. ;)

Yes, fair enough. Again, this unit costs $1600 though. Can't expect end users to be testing jitter and demand a fixed unit, would like to see zero issues ideally :) Note the three tones between 9K-10K, very present in one channel, but also to a lesser extent in the "good" channel. This is very likely to be a design flaw.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes, fair enough. Again, this unit costs $1600 though. Can't expect end users to be testing jitter and demand a fixed unit, would like to see zero issues ideally :) Note the three tones between 9K-10K, very present in one channel, but also to a lesser extent in the "good" channel. This is very likely to be a design flaw.

As you pointed out one more difference between channels I believe wanted you wanted to say that the unit is likely flawed? :)

Btw, SMSL D1 also had problems. As its price is also high it's quite obvious that Chnese manfucaturers still have to learn a thing or two regarding QC.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A close friend of mine had the Level 3 and contacted the main designer, Jeff of Holo Audio if he has any follow up products in mind. He said the upcoming Holo Audio May DAC should have SOTA performance among ladder DACs out there. Fwiw, it has been over than a year ago since he said that so make of that what you will.

Krunok

Major Contributor
A close friend of mine had the Level 3 and contacted the main designer, Jeff of Holo Audio if he has any follow up products in mind. He said the upcoming Holo Audio May DAC should have TOTL performance among ladder DACs out there. Fwiw, it has been over than a year ago since he said that so make of that what you will.

What is TOTL?

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
As you pointed out one more difference between channels I believe wanted you wanted to say that the unit is likely flawed? :)

Btw, SMSL D1 also had problems. As its price is also high it's quite obvious that Chnese manfucaturers still have to learn a thing or two regarding QC.
It's likely flawed, but if its a power regulation problem I'm not sure it's as much a QC problem than a design one. Can't be sure :)

What is TOTL?
"Top of the line", basically claiming top performance.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
What is TOTL?
I think he said either SOTA or TOTL, couldn't really recall which one, but SOTA is more relevant in this context, so I edited my post to that.

Krunok

Major Contributor
It's likely flawed, but if its a power regulation problem I'm not sure it's as much a QC problem than a design one. Can't be sure :)

Both channels share the same design. If one channel measures significantly different than the other it is a QC problem, not the design.

bunkbail

Forum Donor

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Awesome, totally missed this thanks. Mediocre J-test now confirmed ;) right channel is OK, left channel glitching in review unit.

atl0gzh.png
That looks incredibly bad. I have measured one of these. While the OS mode generates a bit more jitter than NOS mode, it's not as bad as the red plot and certainly not as bad as the blue plot, which, I think indicates a defective unit.

Here's what NOS mode looks like at 24/96KHz:
spring-jitter.png

OS mode looks a bit worse:
spring-os-jitter.png

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
That looks incredibly bad. I have measured one of these. While the OS mode generates a bit more jitter than NOS mode, it's not as bad as the red plot and certainly not as bad as the blue plot, which, I think indicates a defective unit.

Here's what NOS mode looks like at 24/96KHz:
View attachment 20048

OS mode looks a bit worse:
View attachment 20049
Awesome! I think I saw similar measurement by a person called Miska recently (that you?). If you have more measurements feel free to share! This DAC looks pretty good for a ladder DAC honestly, for people with money to burn they can do a lot worse that's for sure.

Again, thanks for sharing! :D

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome! I think I saw similar measurement by a person called Miska recently (that you?). If you have more measurements feel free to share! This DAC looks pretty good for a ladder DAC honestly, for people with money to burn they can do a lot worse that's for sure.

Again, thanks for sharing! :D

Saw the same measurements. "Miska" is Jussi, the author of HQPlayer software (I'm not him, he's not me). Jussi's measurements look even better than mine, but he was upsampling everything to 352KHz using HQPlayer.

Top Bottom