• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some interesting/cool Loudspeaker oriented videos on YouTube

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I have found some interesting videos lately and I don't want to spam up the forum with a new thread for every one. But if you guys feel the need, just let me know. That said, I imagine the discussion would be relatively brief so here we go...

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
This one is useful for a historic POV.

Interesting the founder of B&W, John Bowers, believed so strongly in open baffle speakers where "John could never accept the idea of loudspeaker drivers being boxed in". (~3:00 mark)

~7:10 mark they discuss how the original design of the Nautilus measured "impeccable on-axis" but "listening tests said otherwise". Due to the "uneven angular dispersion distorting the response". (meaning, that long ago it was known that not just on-axis that mattered)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
These guys have a little series on their Kef Factory Tour but notable to me were these:

This one at the beginning talks about the CAD model for the tweeter. Made me think of the Meta design and how the (essentially) helmholtz resonator goes to dissipate even more of the backwave from the tweeter. The fellow driving the discussion also talks about the pistonic range of the tweeter which is useful for those who don't quite understand drive unit directivity.

Kef Blades being built and their QC protocol.

Kef anechoic and reverberant test chambers:

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
same guys as above but around 8:00 mark the tour leader mentions that the Kef Ref speakers are matched to within 0.5dB throughout the frequency bandwidth (I assume this is broadband.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

dfuller

Major Contributor
The focal factory tour that produce like a pro did is pretty interesting too, seeing the construction of their sandwich cones. I'll be spending some time with the KEF videos.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great people, lots of knowledge shared. Watching it should be obligatory for the ones visiting this part of the forum :)

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Just listened to Earl Geddes talk. Always a great pleasure to hear how freely he speaks of taboos in pro and hifi world. One if them being active vs passive loudspeakers (one endemic for this forum is general thought that dsp actives are better because of concept, not because of easier/cheaper execution) and real advantages of one over the other - in his view of course. The reasons he states are hilariously true :)

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I have a lot of loudspeaker-specific lectures compiled here: Lecture Library

Reposting them here:

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
You guys are making some great suggestions. I've been enjoying these videos. Very good "research".

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A short Earl Geddes clip where he talks about early reflections, imo well worth the two and a half minutes it takes to watch:

Earl Geddes Comment on 1st Reflections in Small Rooms - YouTube

Earl again, cued up to where he starts talking about "where the goal posts are" for loudspeaker design, I suggest watching to at least 11:23:

And for the hardest of hardcore nerds, here is David Griesinger (who Earl refers to in the previous two videos), talking about psychoacoustics in concert halls and lecture halls. Imo many of the principles he describes have implications for home audio:

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Enjoying these, keep them coming/posted on here

Seriously looking into changing my current setup for a 3way active monitor design, got barefoot footprint 02 and Dynaudio lyd 48 and possibly focal shape 65 in the running so far,

Top Bottom