• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some "interesting" claims by Pro-Ject re: their new CD transport box...

Willem

Major Contributor
Are you saying that, a blue ray player is better than a cd only player?
Absolutely not. They will sound the same, and certainly so using their digital output with an external DAC. My only argument is that for almost the same money you can have the video as well. For me, watching an opera video is far more satisfying than just hearing the music. And of course there are movies.

beren777

I've often found these to be reliable transport for CDs and they can even handle SACD without issue.

ups-left-turns-and-a-baffling-amount-of-money-1569615794.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering the amount of criticism available here for a named brand, will someone give us what brand and model CD player they will recommend for those of us who have a lot of CDs.
I'd go for comfort in usage which for me means audio only and no support for MP3-CDs.
  • Measure the time from pushing the power on button until it is ready to open the tray. Usually about 1 second for an audio player and up to 30 seconds for a BD video player.
  • Measure the time elapsed between pushing the play button with open tray and the moment when the music starts to play. A good player may need 1 to 2 seconds, a video player maybe 10 times longer.

Reactions: Ace

Sugarbubble

Yet there does remain a correlation, generally, between price and quality.
Only for mass market items. Boutique items have enormous price elasticity because of lack of competition and low startup costs for production. Look at fashion houses, very little difference between a Chloe bag and a Chanel bag, but Chanel commands a 5x price premium… it ain’t quality. I say that having recently spent 21k on three Chanel bags for my family.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I love my Technics SL-PG500A for the reasons @LTig mentioned. When it broke about a year ago I simply got me a new (used) one from ebay. 30 bucks. Unbeatable price/performance ratio.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I got a used Sony blu-ray player for $40 recently to rip SACD's

I does amaze me how many people today don't own a real computer with disc drive in it :confused:
I can't imagine being a audiophile today without having all those tools at hand ???

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Laptops are 'real' computers, have subjectively outnumbered 'real' (tower etc) computers by far, and never come with disc drives, since years. So I am not astonished.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think vinyl will out live CD’s

PS I’m not a fan of either.

Katji

Major Contributor
This is scary stuff, I was glad to see it's a 2019 post that came up again. (You never know with the RSS feed - you don't see the start date like you would in new posts.)

I does amaze me how many people today don't own a real computer with disc drive in it :confused:
I can't imagine being a audiophile today without having all those tools at hand ???
That's also why i'm sticking to Windows (8.1 as long as possible.) Apple Mac or Linux just going to give me some other trouble. Like no Mp3tag or EAPO or Fakin Da Funk for a start.

Laptops are 'real' computers, have subjectively outnumbered 'real' (tower etc) computers by far, and never come with disc drives, since years. So I am not astonished.

I won't bother taking a photo of my 2014 ASUS for you.
(It's starting to give shit now - some of the keys aren't working.....but I heard that you can get repair kits, switches or something.)
Now I know, I must keep the big heavy external CD drive I have. Just in case. ...That was for copying/burning CDs at office.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If it doesn't have a optical multi drive in it, it's not a real computer, just another toy like a "smart" phone
NewEgg lists over 999+ laptops with combo multidisc drives built in.

rbachl

Pro-ject have just released a new CD player.

Its' small size is appealing but there must be something cheaper to play a physical disc?

Suggestions please.

A bit expensive with 399 Euros for a simple CD player.
But I have bought that CD player because it is the smallest one available right now, and it just fits into the space that I have available for that.
Display and remote are ok.
It needs to be switched off/on through the remote or the switch at the front side because there are issues when I switch it off
through a slave socket in a master-slave power supply.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
From Pro-Ject's blurb: "In contrast to DVD or Blu-ray Disc players, a pure CD player is frequently better in playback of stereo CDs."

Er...

rbachl

From Pro-Ject's blurb: "In contrast to DVD or Blu-ray Disc players, a pure CD player is frequently better in playback of stereo CDs."

Er...

I do not have any of the more expensive DVD or Blue-ray players that you could connect directly to a (pre-)amplifier.
However, my optical drives in the computer produce quite some noise when playing DVDs.
The CD player is silent though when playing CDs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
However, my optical drives in the computer produce quite some noise when playing DVDs.
Not here, I have 1 DVD drive and 1 BD drive in my box, both are dead silent as far as electrical noise, they do make some mechanical spinning noise as do all drives, some more than others.

DamianW

I got a used Sony blu-ray player for $40 recently to rip SACD's

Which model was it? Does it rip the DSD layer or just the PCM layer?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is scary stuff, I was glad to see it's a 2019 post that came up again. (You never know with the RSS feed - you don't see the start date like you would in new posts.)

That's also why i'm sticking to Windows (8.1 as long as possible.) Apple Mac or Linux just going to give me some other trouble. Like no Mp3tag or EAPO or Fakin Da Funk for a start.

I won't bother taking a photo of my 2014 ASUS for you.
(It's starting to give shit now - some of the keys aren't working.....but I heard that you can get repair kits, switches or something.)
Now I know, I must keep the big heavy external CD drive I have. Just in case. ...That was for copying/burning CDs at office.
That's why I keep my Dell Studio XPS with Intel Core i7 940XM (can run without doing the blue screen of death at 3.86 GHz), 8192 MB DDR3 Dual channel RAM, Running at 665 Mhz, Samsung SSD EVO 1TB & MATSHITA BD-RE UJ235A internal slot drive LAPTOP. It has HDMI output as well as 2 USB 3 ports that I added and works well as a CD/DVD player/recorder & Blu Ray Player

dadregga

Which model was it? Does it rip the DSD layer or just the PCM layer?
All the Sony BD players you can hack to dump SACDs dump the full, complete SACD ISO - stereo and MCH DSD.

It's great, I've ripped over a hundred with mine, and I'll never ever to spend a dime on an expensive, flaky SACD transport to put bit-perfect DSD content through any DAC I damn well please - even in multi-channel.

Top Bottom