• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some "interesting" claims by Pro-Ject re: their new CD transport box...

systemshock

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway. -- Andrew Tanenbaum

They are not approaching the problem from the right angle. The ultimate transport for CDs should be more in the lines of:

Preslav_truck_1.jpg

Even a pack donkey, or a carrier pidgeon may be a good choice. If operated correctly, they can back the transport layer well:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2549
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I truly fail to understand why anyone would still buy a cd player or transport when you can have a multi format UHD Bluray player that will also allow you to watch opera rather than just listen to it.
Multiplayers take a long time until they start to play a CD, especially if they are powered off. A dedicated CD player which is not able to play MP3 and other formats can be much faster (power on less than 1 s, and also less than 1 s to show the TOC after inserting the CD).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actual Redbook CD players have gotten rare, real high-end mechanisms aren‘t even existing anymore. Today, we know that the drive is essential for reading all the 16 bits out of a CD and most CD players have never seen more than 10 bits. The CD medium might have gotten an unfavorable reputation as a result, which is why it is time to create a perfect, top-class CD transport again.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/cd-box-rs2-t/

Figured someone here could tackle this. Sounds very dubious to me.
Yep, see my comments from Highend 2019 Munich here (big mouths).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm:

View attachment 26496

Turntable? Are they not clear about whether they are building a CD player or turntable? :)
It's a top loader, you place the CD on a small turning disc and put a magnetic holder on top. Just like a turntable, so it must be analog and that is, as we all know, much better than digital.:facepalm:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the way they are suggesting that the bits get physically smaller and smaller as their value goes down, and the smaller bits are so small normal players cannot focus on them properly. I can only imagine such nonsense was made up by someone who really has no idea how CD works, it's impressively divorced from reality.
If they really think that CDs work as described and designed their drive accordingly one should stay wide away from buying it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I truly fail to understand why anyone would still buy a cd player or transport when you can have a multi format UHD Bluray player that will also allow you to watch opera rather than just listen to it.
Absolutely! And in high def to boot.
"Dolby TrueHD audiotracks may carry up to 8 discrete audio channels (7.1 surround) and 20 objects of 24-bit audio at 96 kHz or up to 6 channels (5.1 surround) at 192 kHz."

Timbo2

Or buy a CD drive off Amazon for $15-20. Then rip the CDs and play them off your tablet or computer like a true He Man Audiophile.

Assuming they aren't crippled to placate the RIAA. In the day I remember flashing firmware that removed the 1X ripping restrictions on multi-speed drives.

Back in the days where you didn't think twice about flashing hacked firmware you found on the internet...

Reactions: SIY

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm:

View attachment 26496

Turntable? Are they not clear about whether they are building a CD player or turntable? :)
Duffers designed this. Don't they know steel, and aluminum ring, and chrome plating leads to that bright digital hard sound. Should have used delrin or something to properly dampen those little, itty, bitty bits they are reading.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am really torn as to how I feel about this. On the one hand the crazy expensive audio is nuts but on the other there are a lot of people that won't buy the inexpensive, quality option simply because it is inexpensive. If you want to reach them and their deep pockets you have to sell the crazy.

Yes. See Veblen good. Expensive audio gear often sells mostly because it looks expensive, not because it's good.

Yet there does remain a correlation, generally, between price and quality.

If you believe that holds true in audio, I have some $50,000 power cables to sell you.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Y
If you believe that holds true in audio, I have some $50,000 power cables to sell you.

A bright fellow named Dave Kimber has observed that really badly designed audio stuff is far more likely to be encountered at very low prices and very high prices- rarely in the middle.

Samoyed

Yes. See Veblen good. Expensive audio gear often sells mostly because it looks expensive, not because it's good.

As I said above, the term generally necessarily implies there are exceptions. Reading is fundamental.

Samoyed

A bright fellow named Dave Kimber has observed that really badly designed audio stuff is far more likely to be encountered at very low prices and very high prices- rarely in the middle.
Nothing like aphorisms to confuse the issue-tactical semantic ambiguity, friend of the scurrilous squib and cousin to the twins, null and void.

emanresu

Nothing like aphorisms to confuse the issue-tactical semantic ambiguity, friend of the scurrilous squib and cousin to the twins, null and void.
Without the use of a thesaurus, there's a few choice words to describe people like you.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Without the use of a thesaurus, there's a few choice words to describe people like you.
Welcome to Audio Science Review.
A bit of a strange first post, here's hoping this was written in jest. Let's not start off on the wrong foot. ;

PETERPAN

For people who like ideas, they may enjoy finding out that even the original CD players in 1983 were immune to the quality of their transports because the transport was slaved to the DAC and the bits it provided were queued up in a FIFO and read out at precisely the right moment. The principle was/is *perfect*.

The original CD player behaved no differently from a modern DAC drawing on data from a solid state drive or whatever. It may have been partly mechanical and optical, but by hybridising it with electronics, it behaved as a pure, perfect, electronic device.
Considering the amount of criticism available here for a named brand, will someone give us what brand and model CD player they will recommend for those of us who have a lot of CDs.

PETERPAN

Are you saying that, a blue ray player is better than a cd only player? Can we accept that that there are people with a lot of CDs that love playing them. I believe there are people that also spend lots of money on things call Classic(very old)

Top Bottom