• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some impressions on XENNS Mangird Top

After wearing the overear headphones for a long time, I always feel that the pressure on the ears is very uncomfortable. Only armature driver IEM can not play classical music such as Beethoven and Bach, Ravel Mahler, Debussy very good, so I recently wanted to find Hybrid Driver IEM. I flipped through the webpage and saw the brand xenns. I checked the frequency response curve of Mangird XENNS UP from Crinacle's graph, the high frequency is not much and smooth, and the low frequency is warped. Huh, interesting. I like slightly darker treble.

图片1.png

I saw a new product XENNS Mangird Top, a lot of armature driver and a beryllium-coated dynamic driver. The model number of the unit are 31736 32406 e50d 2600, I don't know much about it either. I have Shure aonic5 se535 and Fiio fa9 in my hand. So I can compare it by the way.

图片2.png

DAC and AMP: Connect to the 4.4 balance port of l70 e70v.

Tips and cable:
Top: I use the SpinFit silicone tips, the high frequency is a bit too much for me, add a small sponge in the earphone tube, it is just right. Original silver plated cable.
Fa9: The earphone comes with a SpinFit silicone tips and its own silver-plated cable.

Sensitivity: fa9 needs to increase the volume by 2db, and the sensitivity is lower

Pop Vocals:

Sound field: Top is obviously much more open

Male vocal: Top's male voice is more natural, and I feel that the low-frequency dynamic is helpful. The male voice of fa9 is a bit young, and the base tone of the male voice is not very strong. Not very realistic.

Female vocal: Top has no sibilance at all, and the vocals are softer. fa9 has a little sibilance (the darkest switch option, no sponge)

High frequency: The high frequency of Top without sponge is a bit too much for me. It is more suitable to add a small sponge in the earphone tube. fa9 chooses the darkest switch option without adding sponge. It's a bit too dark because it's added.

Low frequency: Top's low frequency is much better, elastic, dynamic, and feels more deep. It can enhance the atmosphere of pop music. fa9 is soft, slower and less.

Pop vocal summary:
The overall analysis of Top's vocals is better. This kind of analysis is not harsh and clear with a lot of high frequency, but the ability to show the details of the human voice.
However, the overall vocals of fa9 are slightly more prominent, and there is a kind of Shure's advanced tuning. Instruments would hide behind people.

Classical:
Sound field: Obviously the sound field of fa9 is much shallower, while Top is deeper and slightly wider.
Low frequency and dynamics: Well,,,, no comparison. Hahahahaha, after all, a armature driver and a dynamic driver.

I bought two copper cables to suppress high frequencies.

Treble: Both earphones have slightly less treble. Top's timbre has also become a little more natural. The sponge can be omitted.
Bass: The fa9's bass has increased a bit, but it's still not enough. The increase of Top is not obvious.
Vocals: fa9's vocals are darkened, and the instruments are a little more.

IMG_20221227_214324.jpg

Summarize:

Compared with fa9, Top has much better low frequency and better vocal analysis. The soundstage is deeper and slightly wider. However, the original cable is a bit irritating (adding a sponge is very useful, hahahaha, or copper cable), so it is best to change the silicone tips provided. I recommend changing the copper cable and replacing the silicone tips. Top is used to listen to pop music, the percentage of vocals and instruments is about 50/50. The one from Shure is 90/10, the fa9 is probably 80/20.

Top can be used to listen to some instrumental-based music, pop music. The classical sound field is good, and the dynamics are also good. But listening to classical music is still incomparable with the big overear headphone like HD600.

Fa9 does not feel suitable for classical music and pop music with many low-frequency instruments, but the slightly protruding vocals and the instruments hidden behind the vocals also have a unique taste.

IMG_20230107_235724.jpg

OP
bruce bababaaaach
Copper cable doesnt supress high frequencies. That is just extremely silly cognitive bias of associating copper "warm" color to a "warm" sound.

Aside from that, great review.
Thanks,
for my feeling, silver-plated copper cable can reserve more treble more brightness. Also more details. But my ear hates this. I play piano for a long time. So i can not hear some music with too many treble and very bright.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks,
for my feeling, silver-plated copper cable can reserve more treble more brightness. Also more details. But my ear hates this. I play piano for a long time. So i can not hear some music with too many treble and very bright.
The electrons dont care. Copper, silver plated or not, can easily transmit signals of audible frequencies over short distances with no measurable loss.

Unless your cables have some heavy and weird impedance/capacitance problem, you are getting the same signal.

Be happy that electrical transmission over short distances is a solved matter.

Top Bottom