• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some ideas for a DAC/AMP under GBP 200

nycarrival

Hello all,

I need some help and apologies for the boring question.

I have new Senheiser HD 600 and I am looking for ways to listen to better quality music coming from my MacBook Pro or streaming from my iPhone. Unsure whether this is some marketing tricks but it appears Schiit and Topping are some favorites. Getting Schiit in the UK is challenging but not impossible.

Here are some thoughts I had.

Budget around GBP 200-250 (US $300)

1. I thought of just using the built in Mac DAC and get a closeout Schiit Asgard 2.
2. What everyone appears to be after - Magni+Modi.
3. Topping DX3 (this model I have in the UK TOPPING DX3Pro Audio DAC XMOS XU208 AK4493 OPA1612 DSD512 DAC Headphone AMP R9R0).
4. Stretch myself and get iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label
5. Get rid of my Senheiser HD600 and get the Stax SRS-3100 System

I will appreciate some guidance!
Thanks in advance!

threni

Major Contributor
Unsure whether this is some marketing tricks but it appears Schiit and Topping are some favorites. Getting Schiit in the UK is challenging but not impossible.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. You go the UK distributor Electromod and just place an order like with any other company. I think it's £9 for next day delivery; I've ordered two things from them with no problems. Topping kit you get from amazon UK (fulfilled by Amazon but sold by ShenzenAudio or some other seller).

I have the HD 660 S with the Topping E30 and Schiit Asgard 3. Highly recommended. It would have been just a tad outside your price range if you'd got the Asgard 3 around a year ago and the E30 during a recent Amazon Topping sale; sadly it's increased a little since then. Perhaps look for a cheaper amp to go with the Topping DAC.

To satisfy yourself that they're not getting recommended due to "marketing tricks" you can read a full review with measurements of both items on this site.

OP
N

nycarrival

Thanks Threni for the reply!

The issue with the UK distributor is that ... there is simply no stock. As soon as some batch from the US arrives it goes in a few minutes.

Would it be a good option to go with the Asgard 2 + Topping DX3 or I should go for the Modi+Magni?

threni

Major Contributor
Thanks Threni for the reply!

The issue with the UK distributor is that ... there is simply no stock. As soon as some batch from the US arrives it goes in a few minutes.

Would it be a good option to go with the Asgard 2 + Topping DX3 or I should go for the Modi+Magni?
I waited for the Schiit Loki to become available from Schiit UK as that was out of stock. I waited months (I wasn't desperate). Eventually I emailed them and they said they were getting some tomorrow and sure enough I could order some then. They're pretty approachable; perhaps you could email and ask them to put one aside or let you know when they're expecting more.

Top Bottom