• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some covers of songs we know and love (audiophile essentials) are better than others...

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somewhat "home made" back then - but she has started a nice career around here since.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Monty Alexander's version of Augustus Pablo's King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown - the studio version on the Goin' Yard CD is a powerhouse.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Leftover Cuties did an interesting Dylan cover:

Archsam

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tori Amos yet.

DChenery

Forum Donor
Train - Whole Lotta Love from the tribute Album "Train Does Led Zeppelin II"

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good cover. Audiophile 100%. But curious how many people recognize it.

The original Ces gens-là ("Those People") and the translated EN lyrics (a masterpiece in itself).

Jacques Brel is pretty well know around EU, particularly for older generations. And pretty much required listening in Belgium/France. Probably very little know in the US, you might have heard Ne me quitte pas though.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
lot of silence here so let's try some more 'different' stuff. This might just be the best Zombie cover

Her band TheSlot is actually quite good (for the genre fans) and one of their songs is definitely in my top10 of the decade. Pretty amazing live performance (with eng subtitles although even my rusty Russian says these could've been better)

Last edited:

Shorty

If you, like me, can’t stand U2, you’ll love this Sunday Bloody Sunday cover by Richard Cheese:

Shorty

another attempt to keep this going. One of Amir's recent speaker reviews reminded me of one favorite cover.

It's quite a stretch to call Metallica "audiophile essentials" but OTOH, Metallica 1991 is the closest heavy-metal ever came to audiophile status.
And the cover itself is definitely audiophile.
During the first listen of that cover I was very surprised to suddenly figure out that I never listened to Metallica's lyrics :)

Ahhh, nice! I know her from another song she covered, Plain Gold Ring by Nina Simone.
She downright threatens with murder... :oops:

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking about Pink Floyd covers, a southern Mississippi style BrickInTheWall .. from France

Last edited:
Top Bottom