• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some advice for desktop audio setups?

archenstone

Hello everyone. I hope you don't mind the less knowledgeable popping in here! My family's capacity to hear things is above our understanding of what to look for when it comes to upgrading our entertainment.

We have 3 desktops, 2 active and one being built. win 7 and and new one will be win 10 since ryzen doesn't like 7. After looking at several reviews I had bought an asus essence stx ii thinking independent sound cards where still the way to go, but I'm now seeing some things that challenge my thoughts. I will say though that the card in my husbands pc does make an immediate noticeable difference. I look forward to playing with the exchangeable ops amps at some point.

So a few goals here and some intel.

My family is weirdly sensitive to frequencies from about 10hz to 22khz. I'm in my thirties and I can still hear them though below 15hz is hard. There are many reviews out there about audio but many seem to go off the assumption that once you're an adult you shouldn't care about anything over 16khz or so.

Everyone in the family is musically inclined. I read sheet music and pick up by ear and my kids do the same. We've been blessed by our ears it seems and I want to make a setup to appreciate the music.

Right now we have 2 HyperX Cloud Alpha headsets. My husband and I both game and enjoy music. The pc speakers aren't worth mentioning.

Current specs let me know if you need the whole rig

Pc 1 win 7
ASUS M4N98TD EVO
no dedicated sound card

Pc 2 win 7

ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER LGA 1150
Asus Essence STX ii

Pc 3 in construction

Gigabyte GA-AX370 gaming K7

Mission goals

High quality sound through headphones and speakers that takes advantage of my family's apparent mutation for ears lol
Purposes: Music and Gaming of equal measure. Cinema is a super casual thing from the pcs at present time since they are setup for solo use.

Ideal budget: No more than 500.00 usd per pc please. If it makes a significant difference could skimp on one or not bother with the oldest pc to have 2 pcs with great sound or one pc with good sound and one with superb sound.

Looking for desktop pc speakers or a setup that can be connected to a desktop. Space for PC 2 is a non issue as it has a huge desk [I like spoiling my husband with gamer things]

Bonus question of curiosity: How does the hyperX Cloud Alpha stack against other headphones in the 200.00 price range in terms of sound quality and range?

sgent

Welcome to ASR. Glad that you joined.

Here is a link to the review of the Vanatoo Transparent Zero. With appropriate EQ, the "preference score" can be raised from 3.9 to 5.7, which will make it rank among the top performing speakers. You can drive it using USB from your computer.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...anatoo-transparent-zero-speaker-review.13717/

Just to add to that, the T0 has a HF filter at 80hz so you can correctly attach a subwoofer in the future if desired -- almost nothing else out there lets you set a high pass filter. Other than that, you might look at the audioengine speakers or Klipsch 41(?) as another all-in-one.

If you have the space and want to go passive speakers or use monitors, let us no how much space you have, etc.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Webninja

Forum Donor
I’ve been thrilled with my Topping DX7s DAC and JBL 305s. I’d pick a DAC/headphone amp that has the connections and features you need. Lots to pick from under $250. I keep wanting to upgrade, but unless I spend $$ not really going to get much improvement. Maybe add a sub down the road.

JBL 305/306
Audioengine A5 if you want to splurge

BillG

Major Contributor
Speakers? Infinity Reference 152s are ~$230USD on Amazon currently. Their big brothers, the 162s, have been reviewed here, and found to be top performers. The 152s are essentially the same speakers with a 5" woofer instead.

Amplifier? The Klipsch PowerGate is ~$200USD on Amazon currently. Its been reviewed here, and found to have a good power amplifier subsection. However, its DAC isn't the greatest. The solution? A $9USD Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle attached to the computers then running that output into the RCA/Aux port on the PowerGate.

So that $439USD per machine all up, and ASR can guarantee you, via the analyses, that you'll have very enjoyable sound - I've the exact same setup for one my desktop systems... :cool:

Top Bottom