• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some advice for DAC or Streamer

AndesCapricorn

Hi everyone. First post here for me. I live in Peru, and have limited availability for equipment. I have a Marantz amp with DAC and Dynaudio M20 bookshelf speakers, which I run from a USB connected PC with JRiver and Tidal. I'm looking to add a DAC to my setup, or a network streamer. My options are as follows:

Cambridge Audio CXN v2
Matrix Audio – Mini i Pro 3
Ifi audio Neo iDSD
Marantz NA6006

I am planning to upgrade my amp and speakers down the line to something like a Cambridge Audio Edge W and Dynaudio evokes. I may then buy another DAC or Streamer as I plan to keep the current setup for a different room.

So my question is, since I have a dedicated PC and not looking for streaming, which DAC would give me better sound quality as a source?

Thank you

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Welcome to ASR.

The Cambridge Audio CXN and the Matrix Audio mini I Pro 3 have both been measured on ASR and are both work fine:
Are these 4 options your only DAC options? The options you listed all seem relatively expensive and include things I don't think you want/need, such as a headphone amp or streaming. (You stated " ... I have a dedicated PC and not looking for streaming".) There are a lot of audibly transparent, high-quality DACs for ~$200 USD or less that seem like they would work for you. But that obviously depends on what equipment is available to you in Peru.

OP
A

AndesCapricorn

Thank you Rick! I can get cheaper Ifi products as well as Matrix Audio. These are what are available here. I agree, I do not want to be paying for features that remain unused, and would rather pay for a good DAC only. I have seen that USB connected DAC options seem to be rather unpopular because of possible noise, but have not found any noise in my setup - my PC is dedicated for this use, so Windows is silent and JRiver is set to Exclusive access.

Here are the list of DAC's that can be bought here:

Thank you so much for your time in answering! I am pretty new to this, and have asked both these stores for advice, with very abrupt and limited answers. I cannot go as I live far away, but they can send me a product. I also don't want to over-analyze this, as I reckon anything will be better than the current integrated DAC in my amplifier.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
You can find what Amir has measured for various iFi devices here. Unfortunately there's nothing to write home about for the iFi DACs (or DAC/amp combos) in that list. That's not to say that iFi doesn't make a good DAC -- they might -- but if it hasn't been measured here it's going to be tough to recommend because we won't know for sure.

There are a couple Bluesound devices that have been measure on ASR (here and here); both are poor performers. The Matrix Audio devices measure very well but are incredibly expensive; there's no need to pay, say $2,000 for a DAC if you can get the same performance for $200.

I reckon anything will be better than the current integrated DAC in my amplifier.
That's hard to say. What Marantz amp do you have?

OP
A

AndesCapricorn

I have a PM7004, with DAC CS4398. My issue with it is brightness on the side of discomfort with certain music, and a general messy presentation - no separation - with detailed music like Mahler's symphonies or busy Radiohead tracks. Otherwise, for the price point, I love my system. I will be upgrading this with time, we will be building a house, and I don't want to buy until I know the dimensions of the space.

Top Bottom