• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Solved] Topping D90 low volume problem + "No Jack Info..."

sanghyuk2

Hi,
Thank you for checking out this thread first of all.

I have Topping D90 MQA DAC, which started having problems today. It worked perfectly fine until I shut down my PC earlier today. After several hours later, I boot PC and this issue appeared. I tried pretty much I could think of and find from googling but still couldn't resolve the issue. I decided to ask here... Hopefully I can find some solutions...

Issues:
- Audio is barely audible on my speaker. I can only hear when my ear is directly next to the speaker (literally when an inch away)
- "No Jack Information Available" message on windows. Device manager still says "Device is working properly".

Following is how I set up.

Connection:
Windows PC - USB cable - D90 MQA - analog output via XLR cable - analog input on the powered speaker(0.00dB setting on speaker)

Following is everything I tried.
I tried everything individually, and tried all of them again on my 2nd windows PC.
Same issue and same result on both computers.

- Swapped to another USB DAC. Speakers work fine in this case.
- Reconnect every cable on D90.
- Swapped every cable (USB, XLR, Power)
- Set output device to Topping D90 on PC
- Maxed volume on Windows while outputting to Topping.
- Re-installed drivers for Topping. Both last year version and newest version.
- Checked recent windows update. Had no updates. However, still removed more recent windows updates. Still not working.
- Went into device manager on Windows. Tried enable/disable. Tried update on driver.
- Tried to changed format in windows 24/32bits, 48000-higher frequencies
- ran windows trouble shooter
- turned off selective USB power (currently, always on mode)
- Reset D90 to factory setting using power switch+button on boot
- Tried D90 to both "pre" mode and "DAC" mode
- Ran windows troubleshooters, which says "no jack informatio available"

Thank you for any input!

OP
S

sanghyuk2

Berwhale, thank you so much for your input and the welcome message.

I am glad to report that the device works now! um.. somewhat magically.
I had given up by the time I was writing original post tbh.
After seeing your message, I decided to give it another try and found the device to be working again. o_O:p.

I also tried 'Line Out' as you mentioned though. It does not let me change from RCA+XLR to anything else, which is weird.
I normally have RCA and XLR both connected to 2 different outputs. I used to change it all the time back then and earlier today. But now that I only ha XLR connected for test purposes, it doesn't let me switch.

I am wondering if my DAC went thru some kind of power cycle from being disconnected from everything for a few hours, like a cable modem does...
Either ways, thank you so much once again!! I probably would not have tried again until seeing your message.

Note: If anyone ever has similar issue in the future.. Low audio issue that I had does not seem to be related with "No Jack Information Available" message on Windows. Even with my DAC working again, Windows still displays "No Jack ..." message.

JRS

Major Contributor
Not sure that this happens more with Topping than others, but I have had issues with an earlier release of the Dx-3 Pro+. Sent it and my Sundaras to an EE buddy to check out some near SOTA HP's on the cheap, and he finally gave up trying on his MAC.

I have had issues pretty much since day 1, but once working it seems stable for months until something changes. Still have BT connectivity issues whereas I didn't before after updating the driver. Sort of soured me on the brand, tho I may still get the 8channel DAC but only after its been on the market for a while and bugs ironed out. Great specs, great value, but so far great hassle. Anyway this is OT and should likely go on the product review thread.

OP
S

sanghyuk2

Yeah. I had multiple incidents Windows suddenly not recognizing D90 numerous times and happens regularly once a month or two. Not sure if the issue is caused by Windows or the DAC. It always was resolved quickly by reinstalling the driver and reconnecting some cable. Today was something special compared to my previous experiences with D90...

Top Bottom